Are all the historically best mods no longer getting updated?

I haven't had time to play ONI for quite a while, and when I started up the game, I discovered that all of my mods were out of date.  I did some googling, discovered that ONI changed to a new version of Harmony, and that probably broke most if not all of the mods I had.  I then did some more googling and found a post suggesting I rename my mod folder and then clear my download cache in Steam.  I did this, but even then, only like 10% of my mods updated.  So, at this point, I have to ask if most of the most popular mods from the last few years are now just defunct/unavailable anymore because their authors aren't around to update them?  Or is there hope that most of these mods will be updated/fixed in the near future?  Given the length of time since the Harmony update was released, I'm not exactly hopeful that this will happen.  Please confirm!

Mods.PNG

1 hour ago, Brashnack said:

Please confirm!

At least Mod Updater is updated.

Maybe if you unsubscribe and re-subscribe to that one (also exit-open again steam), it will work properly and using it you could find any other mod that is updated but doesn't want to work properly.

After having a quick look through your list

• Sensors for conveyor is obsolete because those sensors made it into the game. No point keeping it.
  • Insulated Joint Plate has been updated. Steam is acting up
  • Thermo Sensor Tile has been updated. Steam is acting up
  • SmartSweepy has not been updated. You are out of luck for this one.
  • Mod Updater is one of the first mod that has been updated for the new Harmony update. Steam is acting up. Once you manage to get it updated, it will be able to update the other ones. It's a good idea to place it first in the list too
  • Build Straight Up has been updated. Steam is acting up

I had to unsub all the mods on steam, then I deleted everything in the mods\stream folder (where all the mods are installed) and emptied the mods.json file (where all the installed mods are registered)... then re-subscribed to the mods on steam...

38 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

This is why I don't use mods.  Too heavily dependent on modders to update. 

Literally all mods except one are working or were integrated into the game.

This is a Steam content distribution issue, not a modder issue.

Thank you everyone for your replies/suggestions.  I really appreciate you all trying to help me get my mods working again.  After more googling (and following your advice), I was able to get nearly all the mods I wanted updated.  The only remaining un-updated mods can be seen in the screenshot below.  The biggest one I really want to see working is the longer bridges mod (I believe there's an alternative to the half door mod).  Are the longer bridges now in the game and that's why I can't find an up to date longer bridges mod?  I really appreciated the design flexibility that mod afforded me.  Please let me know.  Thanks!

2.PNG

7 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

6 hours ago, Steve8 said:

Get Tiny Door instead: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2051059692

It was always better than Half Door anyways

This may be an alternative to Rotate Everything: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2555723006&searchtext=rotate

Thank you both very much for the additional assistance.

I'm really unhappy with the fact that so many good mods got pretty much terminated as a result of the shifting code. Any modification that has kept up has resulting in needing to be re-uploaded/updated for the new code base, reinstall new versions for every mod version and if you have close to or over 100 mods this is going to be a nightmare. There needs to be some better solution to this brought up by Klei in some form.

The UI for mods has been terrible too, it's not made to support dozens of mods listed without a mod itself overhauling the visual system. And even then it's still a nightmare to navigate through the mods and find the right ones. I think we could do with a mod manager type that puts mods under a grid instead of a list, with mod profile pictures showing up and the name underneath, much like how mods are displayed in the Steam Workshop itself. Less scrolling, more and quicker control.

Also a mod that can batch-enable mods and associate them with save files would save immense amount of time when playing with different ones on different saves! Honestly, why is automatic mod memory enabling on save load not a thing in the game by default? Don't suppose it would not be that hard to implement!

5 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

I'm really unhappy with the fact that so many good mods got pretty much terminated as a result of the shifting code. Any modification that has kept up has resulting in needing to be re-uploaded/updated for the new code base, reinstall new versions for every mod version and if you have close to or over 100 mods this is going to be a nightmare. There needs to be some better solution to this brought up by Klei in some form.

Mods use Harmony to patch the game. Now before BOFA, ONI used Harmony 1. Modders community asked to get Harmony 2. We got Harmony 2, but since both versions are incompatible, mods now have to target Harmony 2. There really isn't a "better" solution, or even any solution around that simple fact.

5 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

Also a mod that can batch-enable mods and associate them with save files would save immense amount of time when playing with different ones on different saves! Honestly, why is automatic mod memory enabling on save load not a thing in the game by default? Don't suppose it would not be that hard to implement!

That'd be great, yes, but that's just not how it currently works. Mods are loaded once when you launch the game. They are not loaded when you load a save file. Re-engineering the game and/or the mods to do that would not be "easy" by any stretch of the definition.

Don't you love when outsiders condesendingly tell you how easy your job is to do, without any knoweldege?

6 minutes ago, thegroundbelow said:

To be fair, factorio has the same limitation (has to restart to change enabled mods), but they still offer the option to sync enabled mods to a save file. It just automatically restarts the game once you do.

even tho factorio have that. lua self supports single script refresh without fully need restart app

Archived