Guard Rails

Tired of jumping onto your boat, only to slip into the water and lose half your inventory?  You're not alone.  I'm no programmer, but as a rule of thumb, there should be no way to drown when you board your vessel.

I've noticed, in my case when I jump my boat and... land in water, it usually happens because of my high ping and/or rubberbanding (I only play pubs, no personal servers), more-so if an object from boat is close to the margin am jumping on aka in my jumping path.

It can happen if the spot where your character is trying to land is blocked by something (or if the boat is moving, weeee, but then you are kind of asking for trouble).

Edit:

Having the landing site and boat cluttered is also asking for trouble, come to think of it.

Keep your vessel seaworthy. Ahoy!

yeah, ive learned to design my boats to not have any "physical structures" near the parameter of the boat. Just so i dont need to worry about being pushed off by a crock pot or something.
It definitely limits how much i can put on my boat. But personally I dont really know how they could fix this in a reasonable manor.
Like, they could make it so you phase through the structure... but that could be abused.
They could make it so you cant jump on the boat in the first place, but that could get annoying if you are in a panic.
and those are the only two options I can think of

18 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Like, they could make it so you phase through the structure... but that could be abused.

Do you have any examples of how that could be abused? My mind is coming up blank thinking how that might be exploited.

There's also the problem with wavey jones spawning underneath a structure with collision so you can't step on wavey to get rid of him which really stinks...

6 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Do you have any examples of how that could be abused? My mind is coming up blank thinking how that might be exploited.

There's also the problem with wavey jones spawning underneath a structure with collision so you can't step on wavey to get rid of him which really stinks...

Maybe spam of structures? But that can be done with commands anyway.

Or making a boat trap - on one way no collision, but inside boat...

12 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Clipping through boats as a mean to escape when getting chased by werepigs / hounds / bunnymen. If they would also be able to clip through structures on a boat you could stack an arbitrary amount of creatures in one spot. That would be insanely glitchy and outright silly. Imagine stacking 40 werepigs in one spots and bringing them down with gunpowder before you finish them off.

2 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Imagine stacking 40 werepigs in one spots and bringing them down with gunpowder before you finish them off.

Wouldnt the werepigs collide with eachother?

sounds like it'd be a hassle too haha, I think i'd rather just kill the werepigs normally.

Yes, a hassle indeed. Not abusable in a game breaking sense perhaps but it makes no sense to clip through structures on a boat. If the boat is cluttered with junk it makes sense to fall into the water when trying to board it.

Exactly... what would happen if many players start jumping through structures on a boat while still colliding with each other? Nonsensical things.

If your boat is not overfilled you are extremely unlikely to fall into the water when boarding it.

How about this? If the game notices that you're jumping onto a boat and there's a structure blocking your path, it'll then check if there's free space for you to walk to the left or right of the structure. Then if it finds free space, it calculates if that free space is near enough to the player, if it's near enough, then you side-step the structure blocking your path and land on the boat safely, if it's too far away then you just drown.

Archived