My Thoughts and Suggestions on the Waterlogged Update

Hello everyone and welcome to my Youtube channel. Please remember to like, subscribe and click on the notification button.

THE BOAT REWORK

I love it. The improved oars and the fact that the boats come to a halt on their own has made their maneuverability shoot through the roof and that, in turn, has alleviated a lot of the tedium involved in mining for salt or fighting/harvesting Sea Weeds. And the fact that boats can finally move faster than the player can on foot is certainly a plus. There's just two issues I believe need to be addressed:

• Waves should be way weaker than they are. At the moment, waves are ridiculously strong. Even with the anchor down, a single wave will still send your boat halfway to Siberia. And it can get really annoying due to Gnarwails spawning without warning (not to mention, follower Gnarwails can easily shred your boat this way).
  • Steering could be faster. Now that sails are faster, dropping your anchor so you can steer has become considerably harder cause the wheel is still as slow as it always was.

GRASS GATORS

They're cute in an ugly sort of way. They're a pretty nice source of Leafy Meat, and the only one available in winter, but they're a really bad source of twigs and the eponymous grass and they don't have any unique drops to their name either. Now, this might sound far-fetched, but...

• Grass Gators should drop Saplings and Grass Tufts. There is no way to get more Saplings and Grass Tufts, unless you are playing Endless Mode, but even that is pretty slow. Giving Grass Gators a chance to drop these plants would go a long way to making them stand out and would also solve a long-standing problem the game has had.

FIGS & RELATED ITEMS

I am a huge fan of Tree Jam's ability to permanently heal boat leaks, but 2 Figs and 1 Glommer's Goop is really quite expensive. Similarly, some of the recipes seem extremely situational, if not like outright novelties (what are the chances you'll have both a Koalefant Trunk and a Fig available), and they could use some buffs.

But I am mostly concerned about the sheer scarcity of them. Figs are few and they are sparse too, not to mention they have a short shelf life, so collecting a decent amount of them is next to impossible. And that small supply of Figs you can collect in a single biome will then need to be split between growing giant trees, repairing boats and making fig dishes, which only serves to make the latter even more situational. Potential solutions...

• Above-Average Trees should grow Fig Vines. This will make Figs way more accessible and will certainly improve the standing of every dish you can make with them, as well as making Tree Jam a more reasonable alternative to Boat Patches (which make your boat look ugly).
  • The player should get multiple (3?) Tree Jams per craft. This won't make the fig dishes any better, but it will certainly make Tree Jam more available, particularly because it means you don't need as much Glommer's Goop, which is a pretty slow to produce and already has a bunch of other uses.

ABOVE AVERAGE TREES

I love the look and overall feel of these, the idea of using natural(ish) fauna to overcome smoldering is pretty refreshing and I'm actually tempted to try out a river base. But the thing is... they're a half-measure when it comes to wildfires. They can only be planted in water and their canopy is pretty small (while everything outside the canopy is still vulnerable to smoldering), so ultimately they are only usable as yet another temporary summer base, like the oasis and the caves. Sadly, that does nothing to alleviate the issue of base builders having to abandon their base for ~12 days per year just so they won't have to see all their hard work go up in flames.

Also, given the size of these things and the sheer time and effort that goes into growing them, they should drop way, way more logs (and maybe driftwood) than they currently do.

Follow me on Instagram, blah blah blah.

5 minutes ago, BoySyrup said:

I already ran out of puns on the other suggestion post… but I think I can sea these taking stride in the game.

try to figure some out some more and come back so we can sea them 

2 minutes ago, BoySyrup said:

Thanks for the words of encouragement deckstop, however, I am tired of mossing around for now. Now to get my beauty sleaf.

your whalecome but you could do that oar you could seal the deal and speedrun crabking as webber

27 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

THE BOAT REWORK

When I heard a boat rework was coming I thought there would be more changes to boats that would make them more affordable to craft. It still feels like at the moment that boats are too expensive to justify for what's at sea.

Here are some oarsome suggestions I think that could improve boating in the long run

• Allow Boat Patchs to give two items when crafted instead of one. This one is pretty simple for not only does one board to one patch feel expensive, but also since the boats are much faster now and have increased momentum, they are more inclined to crash into seastacks and other things on the ocean now.
  • Make every boat craftable needed to sail (mast, anchor, steering wheel and tin fishing bin) cheaper to allow sailing at much earlier in the game. When I want to make a boat, I usually put two masts, anchor and steering wheel, and the boat itself, which ends up costing 11 boards, 7 rope, 3 cut stone and 16 silk, JUST TO SAIL NOT TO SURVIVE ON THE OCEAN. This price feels really steep especially since ropes and silk are not fun to grind for early and put into the boat when surviving the first year, and since you may want to make multiple boats this price gets annoying each craft. 

More cost efficient boat prices: MAST: 3 BOARDS, 3 ROPE 8 SILK -> 2 BOARDS 1 ROPE 4 SILK. ANCHOR 2 BOARDS 3 ROPE 3 CUTSTONE -> 1 BOARDS 2 ROPE 2 CUTSTONE, STEERING WHEEL 2 BOARDS 1 ROPE -> 1 BOARD 1 ROPE, FISH BIN 3 ROPE 1 CUTSTONE -> 2 ROPE 1 CUTSTONE (pls I want to catch the beautiful fish early pls)

8 minutes ago, Pumkingthegreat said:

When I heard a boat rework was coming I thought there would be more changes to boats that would make them more affordable to craft. It still feels like at the moment that boats are too expensive to justify for what's at sea.

Here are some oarsome suggestions I think that could improve boating in the long run

• Allow Boat Patchs to give two items when crafted instead of one. This one is pretty simple for not only does one board to one patch feel expensive, but also since the boats are much faster now and have increased momentum, they are more inclined to crash into seastacks and other things on the ocean now.
  • Make every boat craftable needed to sail (mast, anchor, steering wheel and tin fishing bin) cheaper to allow sailing at much earlier in the game. When I want to make a boat, I usually put two masts, anchor and steering wheel, and the boat itself, which ends up costing 11 boards, 7 rope, 3 cut stone and 16 silk, JUST TO SAIL NOT TO SURVIVE ON THE OCEAN. This price feels really steep especially since ropes and silk are not fun to grind for early and put into the boat when surviving the first year, and since you may want to make multiple boats this price gets annoying each craft. 

More cost efficient boat prices: MAST: 3 BOARDS, 3 ROPE 8 SILK -> 2 BOARDS 1 ROPE 4 SILK. ANCHOR 2 BOARDS 3 ROPE 3 CUTSTONE -> 1 BOARDS 2 ROPE 2 CUTSTONE, STEERING WHEEL 2 BOARDS 1 ROPE -> 1 BOARD 1 ROPE, FISH BIN 3 ROPE 1 CUTSTONE -> 2 ROPE 1 CUTSTONE (pls I want to catch the beautiful fish early pls)

Honestly, unless they nerf oars, I feel boats have become cheaper just by virtue of masts, steering wheels and anchors not being absolutely necessary anymore.

Like, you definitely want to build those, but it is pretty viable to just craft the boat itself and row your way around.

13 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:
  • Grass Gators should drop Saplings and Grass Tufts. There is no way to get more Saplings and Grass Tufts, unless you are playing Endless Mode, but even that is pretty slow. Giving Grass Gators a chance to drop these plants would go a long way to making them stand out and would also solve a long-standing problem the game has had.

yes

I agree with all of this, especially making the above average trees and the tree jam changes. Something that could circumvent the wildfire problem would be allowing the player to make a structure specifically for planting said trees, at a cost. Maybe it could use driftwood or salt, finally cementing ocean content as something worth considering into the gameplay loop. 

13 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

I agree with all of this, especially making the above average trees and the tree jam changes. Something that could circumvent the wildfire problem would be allowing the player to make a structure specifically for planting said trees, at a cost. Maybe it could use driftwood or salt, finally cementing ocean content as something worth considering into the gameplay loop. 

Salt water pools to plant the trees or have aquariums (rockjaws included)

On 7/27/2021 at 11:10 PM, QuartzBeam said:

• Above-Average Trees should grow Fig Vines. This will make Figs way more accessible and will certainly improve the standing of every dish you can make with them, as well as making Tree Jam a more reasonable alternative to Boat Patches (which make your boat look ugly).

Yes, please make so the Above-Average Trees grow Fig Vines, without that being a thing figs will just become forgotten by most players like the barnacles from sea weeds.

Archived