I've recently became a dedicated bee keeper of sorts in game; as in I try to join early day public games, make a sustainable bee farm for them and leave the players in the server with an icebox full of honey when winter hits, rinse and repeat.

I've gotten pretty good at it as well, but aside from the initial comb and silk collection time sink, there is another massive time sink that hinders me; keeping the dozen or so homeless bees I've captured for the purpose of flower production loaded; This is where my question arises, Do I need to keep homeless bees loaded by staying near them to allow them to plant flowers?? I know unloaded bee boxes can produce honey, so is it the same with unloaded homeless bees? As in, can I leave them doing their job while I go around actually playing the game, or must I keep them loaded with all the free time I've got? I've been doing the ladder as I'm afraid that they won't make flowers and I won't be able to leave everyone else in the server with all the honey I could have made.

Thank you in advance.

Actually that sounds like a pretty amazing goal for pub servers, quite creative and useful.

About your question I think homeless bees produce flowers even when unloaded, or at least loaded once and then, but I never relied on them exclusively to populate an area with flowers. Usually the most annoying part when making bee boxes, at least in my experience, is to capture a large enough amount of living butterflies. The homeless bees are just to increase the numbers a bit.

You will have to load the area often if you want the bees to produce enough honey anyway (or burn the box and extinguish it with the watering can several times a day each day for max produce)

Thank you for the quick reply! I've taken this challenge on as I've notice many public servers struggling with food shortages, so I'm hoping that they can learn to ration, teamwork and other good habits while allowing them to focus less on food production to do what ever they find fun.

I prefer homeless bees as they "mimic" the path that a regular bee from the boxes will take, so if they go past the flower patch I left for them, the homeless bees have already planted flowers for them, that way no bee comes back empty handed, not to mention homeless bees can plant flowers tighter than what the player can, I've seen them plant a cluster of flowers right on top of each other.

I guess I could try and figure this out by entering creative mode in a solo world and track the results there. but that's going to take a while. Thank you again for the answer!

Homeless Bees don't produce any flowers at all if unloaded, unlike bee boxes they do not have any script which makes them plant a flower every x days if unloaded, bee boxes on the other hand produce 1x honey per day if unloaded and if it's not winter and if there's at least one flower in 7.5 pitchfork title radius and if there was at least one bee in the bee box when you unloaded the box.

7 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Homeless Bees don't produce any flowers at all if unloaded, unlike bee boxes they do not have any script which makes them plant a flower every x days if unloaded, bee boxes on the other hand produce 1x honey per day if unloaded and if it's not winter and if there's at least one flower in 7.5 pitchfork title radius and if there was at least one bee in the bee box when you unloaded the box.

Thank you, you've saved me time in not having to test this for myself; so keeping this in mind; would it be better to manually plant flowers or just occasionally load in the homeless bees, or a combination of the two?

One last question, where did you happen to find this script? I'd like to be able to pick up this skill so I can answer any future questions about the game that I may have later on.

Archived