The Monstrous Science trainer

Do you like free science points? Do you like inflicting illness to your Dupes?

Look no longer, the Monstrous Science trainer is there for you.

In short, it's a way to get Dupes up to +6 science without using any Dirt or making any advance to Research (the limiting factor for Science attribute leveling), by infecting Dupes with Zombie Spores. Getting the first 2 points takes about 20 cycles of training for an infected Dupe (just enough for a single infection), which is in the realm of viable for dedicated players, while getting all 6 points takes around of 130 cycles of training while infected, making it a curiosity rather than a viable strategy.

Here is an example of a build. Left is the infection room which doubles as an Athletics/Machinery trainer, there is a living module in the middle, and a science trainer on the right. The Super Computer and pitcher pump aren't used for this trainer, it's just a generic Science trainer.

242619164_monstroussciencetrainer.thumb.png.e0154bbfb95661d6ca8deca9df3c4c74.png

The crucial factor is that when Researching with less than -4 Science, no Dirt is used, and no advance in made on Research, but the Science attribute still level up, albeit very slowly. By deliberately keeping the Dupe at -6 or -5 Science, you can get free Science training. (note: this doesn't work with -10 or less science, has that prevents any attribute experience)

First, train your Dupes so that it has a healthy Athletics attribute (somewhere between +7 to +10), so that its runspeed isn't totally trashed by Zombie Spores. You will also need it to have 2 free skill points. I assume the Dupe has 0 science, though it can be adapted with the science modifying traits.

• Inflict the Dupe with Zombie Spore to get to -10 Science.
  • Give the Dupe Advanced Research and Field Research to get to -6 Science.
  • Put the Dupe on training duty until it reaches -4 Science (2 attribute points).
  • At that point, a reasonnable player will stop, because the next 4 attribute points are not worth it, and just continue from there by using Dirt and advancing Research.
  • Skill scrub, and give the Dupe Advanced Research to get back to -6 Science.
  • Put the Dupe on training duty again until it reaches -4 Science (2 more attribute points).
  • Skill scrub again and don't get any research skill.
  • Training duty again until it reaches -4 Science (2 last attribute points).

Congrats, you have a +6 science Dupe with no actual research being done!

I only tested the first 2 skill points, which took just under 20 cycles to get done. After that, Zombie Spores is cured, and the Dupe has antibodies for 3.5 cycles. This means every 20 cycles, you have to occupy the Dupe with another task (for example, manual generator training) for 4 cycles before it's infected back with Zombie Spore.

The 130 cycles figure is an approximation after crunching numbers. It should be off by at most 5 cycles.

The astute reader might have noticed that you could also combine this with Hypothermia or Heat Stroke to get even more free science training out of this method. This would, in my opinion, be a nightmare to setup and cross the threshold from curiosity to non-viable.

27 minutes ago, degr said:

How about select duplicant on start with +10 science bonus, and open 80% of researches around 20-30 cycles?

Then you'll get almost no Science training done.

That's your choice. It's a trade-off to be made, between having research done fast, and leveling up the Science attribute of your Dupes.

The Science attribute determines how fast a Dupe will level up attributes. All attributes, not just science. If you want to train your Dupes faster, the best way is to first train them in Science.

The effect is huge: it's 10% per Science level. At +10 Science, a Dupe will level up attributes twice as fast as a 0 Science Dupe. That's why researcher dupes pick up new attributes much faster, something that you might have already noticed.

Obviously, if you don't care about leveling up other attributes faster, it's meaningless to train Science.

On 7/8/2021 at 4:56 AM, mathmanican said:

So I can unlock all research as quick as I want, leaving just one tree untouched.  That tree is the medicine tree. :) Worthless (IMO), except now for having something unresearched to train my +10 rancher in science.

Have anyone test if 1 complete research with 0 science or 10 science give more exp? 0 science require more time to do research, which increase more exp.
If exp gain is linear with research time, +10 science give 400% research speed, which, only reward with 1/5 base exp compare to +0 science, and include +100% attribute leveling, that 2/5 total exp to + 0 science.

So it seem like it will be worth it to use debuff to make science dude have much less science point. So Science gym is worth to do if you have access to zombie spore early on.

And if it work like so, i think with base research, you can have enough science exp to raise 2 +1 science dupe to level 20, (no need + 7 anymore, since +1 will get free science exp to +6 or + 3 with quick learner, and gain bunch of free morale for job.)

4 hours ago, Reitar said:

I think this design can be improved with heat stroke, which will take away 5 more points of science.

Might want to read the last 2 lines of the post again.

42 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

Have anyone test if 1 complete research with 0 science or 10 science give more exp? 0 science require more time to do research, which increase more exp.
If exp gain is linear with research time, +10 science give 400% research speed, which, only reward with 1/5 base exp compare to +0 science, and include +100% attribute leveling, that 2/5 total exp to + 0 science.

All experience gains are linear with time spent doing errands.
I assumed that's common knowledge.

So yeah, a high Science Dupe just breeze through research without gaining a lot of experience, and if you want to min/max, you'll definitely try to lower Science when doing research errands to get the most out of those errands.

This, and a lot of other details, is all explained in my new training guide.

1 hour ago, Artorias36 said:

I am still waiting the day when they implement the training buildings, such as gym for Strenght and Atlethic, Library for science etc.

Let's hope you're not middle aged already because then you might have to wait in vain.

Archived