What gameplay purpose does the Rigamajig serve?

I have noticed one significant flaw with the new farming system and that is the sole purpose of the Rigamajig. New players don't always seem to understand that is what you need to start up a crop farm, probably because if you ever glanced at the thing in the farming menu it just sounds like a strange thing that you don't need to worry about. First I thought it looked like something that would do a bulk of tilling for you if you pulled on it. You want to have special farm tiles that look nice and are designated for tilling, but why this? Extra initial cost? I suppose it stops people from just being able to randomly spreading till bits around regular tiles to prevent some extra possible performance issues, but Wormwood can already plant crops here, there and everywhere. Is the Rigamajig really the best approach?

The Garden Rigamajig stirs up the soil to create farm land. It should make total sense. From a gameplay perspective the implementation makes sense and works well, since you can cover the stirred up farm land with a pitchfork back to its original state.

It is logical and straightforward.

1 hour ago, ZombieDupe said:

Is the Rigamajig really the best approach?

Well, usually you can't plant seeds in bare ground, you need to prepare it first - plow it to make it soft, mix it with humus, maybe add some fertilizer, etc. So I think it makes sense - Rigamajig literally plows the dirt to make it suitable.

What about Wormwood... He is a friend of plants, remember? So maybe he knows how to find an appropriate spot for a crop, how to plant it gently so it won't go bad, something like that. Also yea, magic still exists in DS universe.

5 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

I have noticed one significant flaw with the new farming system and that is the sole purpose of the Rigamajig. New players don't always seem to understand that is what you need to start up a crop farm, probably because if you ever glanced at the thing in the farming menu it just sounds like a strange thing that you don't need to worry about. First I thought it looked like something that would do a bulk of tilling for you if you pulled on it. You want to have special farm tiles that look nice and are designated for tilling, but why this? Extra initial cost? I suppose it stops people from just being able to randomly spreading till bits around regular tiles to prevent some extra possible performance issues, but Wormwood can already plant crops here, there and everywhere. Is the Rigamajig really the best approach?

I think if a new player is looking to start a farm, they'd probably be looking through the crafting menu with a science machine. Let's assume they make a garden hoe and find out they can't till... they'd probably see the tab that says "Food." Looking through the descriptions of the items in that tab give you a good idea of what you need to improve your food situation:

- Crockpot: "Makes better food."
- Cookbook: "Review your repertoire of recipes."
- Ice Box: "Slows food spoilage."
- Garden Rigamajig: "Plow a plot for your plants."

I would imagine someone open minded enough to make it past the first handful of days would have enough intuition to check what the recipes do - especially unusual-looking ones like the Rigamajig, so it's a good thing the recipe description says exactly what it does.

Gameplay-wise, I think it makes sense too - it feels more natural and it allows the devs to attach a cost for placing the turf and a way to disallow placing it on existing entities without contradicting the mechanics of every other turf in the game. I doubt it had anything to do with performance.

6 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

I suppose it stops people from just being able to randomly spreading till bits around regular tiles to prevent some extra possible performance issues, but Wormwood can already plant crops here, there and everywhere.

wormwood's always been able to do that, even before reap what you sow. it's been part of his perks ever since he was first introduced in hamlet. performance was never an issue.

literally what is wrong with a machine that makes a nice, neat, nutritious plot for plants? it's an even square with 9 (or more, if you wanna overcrowd) places to plant your crops. 

Archived