how weak is hydrogen rocket engine!

i don't understand why the hydrogen rocket engine is so weak, I just store full 900kg liquid hydrogen and 450kg liquid oxygen and it just can go 9 tiles !!! which even weaker than radbold engine, and same with petroleum rocket. you know the liquid hydrogen is hard to make and even more difficult to pump out. So that, why we need hydrogen rocket engine? we can combine petroleum rocket and liquid oxygen to make even more power!

6 minutes ago, Hcmcuong1995 said:

i don't understand why the hydrogen rocket engine is so weak, I just store full 900kg liquid hydrogen and 450kg liquid oxygen and it just can go 9 tiles !!! which even weaker than radbold engine, and same with petroleum rocket. you know the liquid hydrogen is hard to make and even more difficult to pump out. So that, why we need hydrogen rocket engine? we can combine petroleum rocket and liquid oxygen to make even more power!

hmm, are you sure that you add right amount liquid ? but i not tested that in dlc anyway soo dunno how it works at there

The ratio for hydrogen/oxygen is 4:1 by mass, 2:1 by tanks, so add another fuel tank with 900kg and you will get 18 tiles of range.  Hydrogen rocket has the furthest range of any rocket when using a 4 fuel tank/2 oxidizer tank configuration, which gets you 36 tiles of range.

I read the thread and now have the impression a hydrogen rocket will crumble under its own weight :confused::confused::confused: Stil havent built one, but someday I will construct the mighty duck`s crumble rocket :congratulatory: Emilio Estevez for the win, height matters !

From what I recall my attempt to build hydrogen rocket before DLC and all the hassle with piping liquid hydrogen - this rocket should be significantly better or it's not worth all the problems that handling of liquid Hydrogen has.

3 hours ago, Orzelek said:

From what I recall my attempt to build hydrogen rocket before DLC and all the hassle with piping liquid hydrogen - this rocket should be significantly better or it's not worth all the problems that handling of liquid Hydrogen has.

If you're flying regular trips as a means of cargo hauling, I find liquid hydrogen/oxygen much easier to deal with.  Rocket lands, it gets fully fueled very quickly, no other management required.  I've got my build for my O2/H2 condenser essentially perfected.  Not a big deal.  It's perhaps more work to build it on remote asteroids with smaller populations, but still, it's generally only needed on the main asteroid. 

1 hour ago, NewWorldDan said:

If you're flying regular trips as a means of cargo hauling, I find liquid hydrogen/oxygen much easier to deal with.  Rocket lands, it gets fully fueled very quickly, no other management required.  I've got my build for my O2/H2 condenser essentially perfected.  Not a big deal.  It's perhaps more work to build it on remote asteroids with smaller populations, but still, it's generally only needed on the main asteroid. 

My main issue (that was some time ago in base game) is the insane level of pipe breaking for H2. O2 you can cool down a bit more and it will survive the trip but H2 would break each pipe and that would happen for quite a few cycles until I gave up.

4 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

My main issue (that was some time ago in base game) is the insane level of pipe breaking for H2. O2 you can cool down a bit more and it will survive the trip but H2 would break each pipe and that would happen for quite a few cycles until I gave up.

I'll admit, I broke a lot of pipes early on.  Eventually got more patience making small loops to chill the pipes down first and made sure I had enough ceramic to really do things right.

21 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

One approach is to start it with a valve set to 1kg until the pipes equalize, since pipes dont break from phase changes at 1/10 capacity. Avoids most of the issue as long as you dont let the hydrogen stack up in the pipe. Works a lot faster with radiant pipes in vacuum though.

hydrogen engines only use is speed for large cargo.  the height is 20 vs 35, then add in the engine, fuel, and oxidizer tank you get a build area of 15 vs 23.  the 8 tile difference allows for an additional 2 large cargo bays but the radbolt engine is faster at 1.5tiles/cycle vs 1.1tiles/cycle

the petrol engine is the same height and is only slightly weaker, it goes 1.0 tiles/cycle vs the 1.1tiles/cycle the hydrogen rocket currently goes

so yeah, hydrogen engines aren't worth it currently unless you value petrol > hydrogen.  with saturn critter traps, hydrogen rockets might be a good way to use up hydrogen you don't need

Archived