SomeRandomFinn

Tips for not having to micro-manage calories?

Every few cycles, I have a look at my calorie count. I was at over 200K, so I deconstructed my farms. I have a few ranches, wild pacu and Shove Vole's, and then there's the Sleet Wheat (I'm playing on the big starting asteroid). I was too lazy to actually check anything, but it seemed like that might be enough sources of calories. I have enough fridges to keep everything in them.

A few cycles later, I was at 0 calories.

Micro-managing food is of zero interest to me. But with the new food mechanics, I'll need to do something different. What are people's (low-maintenance) solutions for food? (And yes, I saw Francis John's recent video with his solution. Which was excellent. But It's immersion-breaking for me to have Auto-Sweepers magically pull things through walls, so I don't want to do that.)

Thanks for any replies.

cezarica    530

You posted in the wrong section buddy, this is for vanilla game. Either ask a mod to move the post to Spaced Out! or make a new post in there.

As for auto-sweepers they don't "magically pull things through walls" it's how they work, meaning that's the range they have built in, I mean nobody is exploiting anything.

1 minute ago, cezarica said:

Sorry, didn't realize the food mechanics were different in the base game.

As for Auto-Sweepers, we'll have to agree to disagree. "The way they work" is that they can magically pull things through walls. I have no problem with it being that way, I just choose not to use that particular mechanic myself.

cezarica    530

If that's the auto-sweeper's designed range and you use that range in a clever way means it magically pulls things through walls? Do you use liquid locks, infinite liquid/gas storage, infinite food storage and so on?

Yobbo    85

My amazing new strategy is not to refrigerate anything. Just make some compost piles and let things rot. Food overproduction solves itself. So long as food supply remains sufficient, there are no problems.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sanity 1

Hiracho    2

My solution was to cool down the food before putting it in a vacuum. I didn't have the tech yet to check temperatures on conveyor rails, so this block is cooled down low enough(-55Celsius) that it can deep freeze freshly cooked food in one go :) I could make some more screenshots if there's interest.

oni cooling solution.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lbphero    3379
30 minutes ago, Hiracho said:

My solution was to cool down the food before putting it in a vacuum. I didn't have the tech yet to check temperatures on conveyor rails, so this block is cooled down low enough(-55Celsius) that it can deep freeze freshly cooked food in one go :) I could make some more screenshots if there's interest.

oni cooling solution.png

I cant get enough of how the thermo regulator is actually being used as small scale cooling now with the food spoilage change :congratulatory:

• Like 2

chemie    748
21 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

I cant get enough of how the thermo regulator is actually being used as small scale cooling now with the food spoilage change :congratulatory:

except an aqua tuner would work and cost less power....

Lbphero    3379
28 minutes ago, chemie said:

For way more work and setup for something super tiny .... notice how the regulator above has very little setup on it at all ... but it still works fine...

• Like 1

chemie    748
1 hour ago, Lbphero said:

For way more work and setup for something super tiny .... notice how the regulator above has very little setup on it at all ... but it still works fine...

You could run the aqua out in the open too; very low load

blakemw    72

2 hours ago, chemie said:

The Thermal Regulator using Hydrogen would use like 20 watts on average, and an Aquatuner using Ethanol would use like 9 watts on average. Does it really matter?

Edited by blakemw
  • Like 1
  • Sanity 1

Yunru    1743
1 hour ago, blakemw said:

The Thermal Regulator using Hydrogen would use like 20 watts on average, and an Aquatuner using Ethanol would use like 9 watts on average. Does it really matter?

Yes it does, because one also requires wires heavy enough that I'd have to invest even more time in it :P

• Like 4

Hiracho    2
On 6/11/2021 at 7:14 PM, cezarica said:

From what I heard/read the place needs to be under -18°C, your -50°C is overkill. :D

the hydrogen is -55 so it will only need to pass the 8 tiles once for the food to reach -18, having it at like -20 would make the heat transfer more slow and it would only get the meat to -8 ;) no overkill, and no extra power wasted or anything cause it isn't really leaking temperature. Like I said Didn't have the tech yet to check the food temperature and let it loop till deep frozen so had to hard code some cold in there!

As for using an aquatuner/ethanol, my starter world didn't have access at that time, plus not having 1.2k powersurges is nice too :)

Edited by Hiracho