Fluid Tanks: Max stored?

I'm planning on making a polluted water tank for a cool slush geyser, and I'm wondering, at what point do I need to make the insulated tiles double thick? This is also a question for other types of fluids. Oil, petroleum, normal water and more. What is the max pressure required to break single normal tiles, single insulated tiles, etc. Yes, I do know that I could just use airflow tiles, but I wanna be a little more insulated then that.

2 hours ago, Xenologist said:

I'm planning on making a polluted water tank for a cool slush geyser, and I'm wondering, at what point do I need to make the insulated tiles double thick?

Any reason you don't want to make an infinite storage?

1 length of sandstone gives +75% full tile mass pressure limit
1 length of obsidian gives +150% full tile mass pressure limit

these add up dynamically, e.g.
1 tile sandstone = 1750kg water limit
1 tile obsidian = 2500kg water limit
1 tile obsidian + 1 tile sandstone = 3250kg water limit
2 tiles obsidian = 4000kg water limit
3 tiles of anything solid = no limit
airflow tiles, manual airlock, mechanized airlock = no limit
k15MESJolF.thumb.gif.f723826c25be77e4b52aaaeb077e5f6a.gif
image.png.72fd97eb5d7c2b0d28f65a5beb681419.png

image.png.2bf1d7fc3a7cacc8055a32ec7cd32df4.png

Max mass can be viewed at oni-db.com
image.png.543306a3aba5556cd7dc9c0c22c4962a.png

39 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

3 tiles of anything = no limit

Curiously actually not true.

If any of the two extra tiles is an air flow tile then it will not hold infinite pressure.

So while an air flow tile on it's own will hold infinite pressure, it and mesh tiles do not count as tiles for holding back liquids.

image.png.b1ec3ac6ed24388b973abfb6f1198243.png

Thanks. I think this can be clarified by saying "anything solid" to not include airflow/mesh tiles.

For completion maybe, we can note that liquids and gasses can also be used. Too bad for anyone with hopes of infinite storage being removed.

image.thumb.png.4ad5fb60de431eb2c6671610b063ae79.png

On 6/4/2021 at 5:26 AM, Xenologist said:

I'm planning on making a polluted water tank for a cool slush geyser, and I'm wondering, at what point do I need to make the insulated tiles double thick? This is also a question for other types of fluids. Oil, petroleum, normal water and more. What is the max pressure required to break single normal tiles, single insulated tiles, etc. Yes, I do know that I could just use airflow tiles, but I wanna be a little more insulated then that.

There was some pretty old post on how much water regular rock tiles can take and it was a lot for the harder ones. I think insulated tiles can take even more pressure. So unless you want more than, say, 15 tiles high, it should not be a problem. 

If you really want to know try in sandbox, but note that liquids take a while to settle. 

11 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Somewhere on your map totally at random there's probably at least one infinite storage occurring naturally. "Fixing it" basically means destroying most maps.

Well, map gen can make some mass huge, but nonetheless finite. So the destroying effect can be huge, but limited.

Only geysers/volcanos/etc... Can bring infinite mass into the wild. But imo if an infinite storage makes things exploding, most of the time the "explosion" should end breaking the infinite storage.

Not sayin that it should be fixed or not or anything else, even if I do have my own opinion. Just that natural huge pockets most probably, and most of the time, should not destroy that much. But could be wrong...

Archived