Do you think we'll get world traits in Spaced Out?

I really enjoyed world traits in the base game.  Combining large glaciers and frozen core with Rime or volcanoes and magma channels with Volcanae helped each playthrough feel truly unique.  To that end, I've been looking forward to trying a swampy start with slime molds for the added difficulty.

But now I'm wondering how world traits would be implemented in Spaced Out.  Because all planetoids are technically generated on the same map, could traits be localized to just the starting planetoids?  Or would it be an all-or-nothing approach?  Are world traits even something the player base enjoyed or would want to see ported to Spaced Out?

I'm curious to see what you guys think.

Traits are disabled atm because they break world generation. They just haven't gotten around to fixing it. Not a high priority, considering they haven't ironed out all of the issues with the basic world generation.

I think that world traits would be something we would see at the later stages of DLC development. I hope that each planetoid would have a chance to get 1-2 traits, not only the main one. It would be even cooler if those traits would be hidden until planetoids are discovered.

It's going to be a bit awkward generating world traits on smaller asteroids.  Still, I want to see more random geysers.  Makes for a better game that way.  Give me a lack of predictability and then let me engineer my way to success.

1 hour ago, NewWorldDan said:

It's going to be a bit awkward generating world traits on smaller asteroids.

That's an interesting point.  Large boulders on the smaller Spaced Out planetoids, for example, would make for a clunky pace of play.  Maybe they'd be better limiting world traits to vanilla-style asteroid clusters?

5 hours ago, goboking said:

To that end, I've been looking forward to trying a swampy start with slime molds for the added difficulty.

You could try forest start with the nasty irradiated swampy marsh asteroid to see how that goes :rolleyes:

If you are "lucky" everything will be quickly covered in slimelung. But yes, the swamp-marsh combo would be more challenging in a starting asteroid

Why not have all asteroids share the same traits? If you know your lore...

Spoiler

These are all part of the same world, wouldn't the same world traits apply to everything?

It's obviously okay to switch things up but I don't see any real pros/cons to any approach. I will say selfishly that myself and obviously many others liked to self-select seeds to ensure we always had a source of refined iron, a source of refined gold, and enough water + oil to do most things. If traits are random, that would break. With the DLC though I think many of these concerns are alleviated.

11 hours ago, spkthed said:

Why not have all asteroids share the same traits? If you know your lore...

That makes sense from a lore standpoint, but there may be traits that lead to gameplay complications with non-starting planetoids (particularly the smaller ones).

On 5/25/2021 at 10:00 PM, goboking said:

That's an interesting point.  Large boulders on the smaller Spaced Out planetoids, for example, would make for a clunky pace of play.  Maybe they'd be better limiting world traits to vanilla-style asteroid clusters?

Good point. Probably they will limit it that way. I think adjusting and debugging this for the small planetoid would be a lot of effort for pretty little payoff.

Archived