Cooking Rework Plz?

I love RWYS, it reworked farming and turned it from "haha spam poo for crop" and generally not worth it, to a beautiful system that is actually worth two minutes of your time. When I found out about this around December, I was hopeful. Cooking is a similar issue, I get it it needs to be simple, but cooking is just "Haha throw stuff in crockpot and make food" Crockpots are a type of slow-cookers that typically are used in making soupy and juicy meals, so it makes no sense for you to be able to cook things like tacos, cakes, and cookies in it. Perhaps revamping the kitchen so that the cooking process is more refined, like maybe making an oven using thermal stones for cooking things like said cake and cookies. or a blender for making blended drinks. Or maybe simpler things like adding more soup recipes and maybe replacing wet goop with a mystery soup, because you can yeet almost anything into a soup.

Cooking is bland and I don't want everything cooking to be locked behind Warly.

- Dragolantis

Just some rebalancing of poor dishes (perhaps with similar gimmics such as the recent sanity regen and sleeping immunity) and maybe a fuel requirement for crock pots would be enough for me. 

RWYS took a system that was bad in every way and turned it good in every way. Cooking is already good in almost every way, the only real issue is a few of the dishes are really bad. Complicating cooking would be for no real reason.

18 hours ago, Dragolantis said:

Crockpots are a type of slow-cookers that typically are used in making soupy and juicy meals, so it makes no sense for you to be able to cook things like tacos, cakes, and cookies in it.

Making cake in a crock pot is a lot more realistic than the rest of the game. The game where punching butterflies gives you butter that mends your wounds, standing in the dark for a few seconds kills you, there are a variety of strange creatures like a huge fly that has lava in its stomach, days last for 8 minutes, you starve in 16 minutes instead of several weeks, having low sanity (caused by things as simple as dusk) causes terrifying shadow creatures to manifest and attack you, etc.

This isn't a realistic survival simulator.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

RWYS took a system that was bad in every way and turned it good in every way. Cooking is already good in almost every way, the only real issue is a few of the dishes are really bad. Complicating cooking would be for no real reason.

Making cake in a crock pot is a lot more realistic than the rest of the game. The game where punching butterflies gives you butter that mends your wounds, standing in the dark for a few seconds kills you, there are a variety of strange creatures like a huge fly that has lava in its stomach, days last for 8 minutes, you starve in 16 minutes instead of several weeks, having low sanity (caused by things as simple as dusk) causes terrifying shadow creatures to manifest and attack you, etc.

This isn't a realistic survival simulator.

Fair, you're absolutely right. Cooking is good rn but it's simple, I know it needs to be simple and I'm not saying Klei has to do something as extreme as change the way we cook forever, maybe just changing some recipes, buffing some recipes, and adding more recipes would suffice. I still think Klei should replace wet goop with a Mystery Soup.

19 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

Just some rebalancing of poor dishes (perhaps with similar gimmics such as the recent sanity regen and sleeping immunity) and maybe a fuel requirement for crock pots would be enough for me. 

Yes I think needing fuel for crockpots would be good because the way the dst crockpot works, if appears to need fuel, maybe instead of needing to feed it things like wood and grass to keep a fire going, maybe after cooking a bunch of dishes (somewhere around 10-25) the coals would burn out and you needed to grab another piece of charcoal. Because after you make your kitchen, you only really need charcoal to make scaled furnaces (which you should only need one of anyway) Tillweed salve, gunpowder (probably where all your charcoal goes after you made your kitchen) boomerangs and feather stencils. Idt using 6 or so charcoal every once in a while wouldn't be too bad

I've also thought about a cooking change, although my thoughts are more of an "expansion".

I think that the optional ingredients in foods (ingredients that are variable or serve as your filler) should affect the resulting stat changes.

For example, when making a Butter Muffin, the single butterfly wing required to make it doesn't do anything, but putting more in increases the healing by a small amount per wing. Putting in a Potato as the vegetable needed for the muffin improves the hunger restoration, and does it better since it's the needed vegetable. (determined by it being the first vegetable in the crock pot) Putting in a Red Mushroom still makes a butter muffin, but actually LOWERS the health restoration and sanity restoration, possibly putting that Muffin as a Sanity loss, since the Red Mushroom is poisonous. There could also be an "optimal recipe" (or multiple of them) for each dish that improves it overall. And if you wanted to find out an optimal recipe, you could feed your dish to Warly, and he would remark if you're getting close, and suggest something to add. With this, it would encourage players to make more varied dishes (hopefully) as well as make players consider doing something different than just be "resource efficient" with their food. Making Pierogi (a food that heals for 40) with raw Monster Meat and a Red Cap (which fulfills the meat and vegetable requirements) doesn't make much sense when eating those foods by themselves will in total make your health drain by 40. I won't say that the mechanics I suggest should make it so that kind of recipe is completely unviable, but I do think it shouldn't be as effective as making that same food with something that's actually edible.

Also, I think we need a slight change to how favorite foods work. Some of them are good, (Wolfgang, WX-78) but some are near worthless due to the effort needed to get them, or simple having a better alternative, even with the +15 hunger bonus. (Woodie, Webber, Wormwood) I think a more beneficial change would be to make SOME favorite foods give more sanity, or make them slightly more accessible

Oh, also, on that note of encouraging players to make varied dishes when they aren't playing Warly, it's not unreasonable to have a similar "food memory" on every character, just lessened. For example, eating 3 Meatballs in a row would provide the normal benefits, but eating a 4th within a certain time frame will cause your character to get tired of the food, like Warly. You could still make a whole bunch of Meatballs, but you might want to space them out more and try some other dishes. occasionally. (While I think this is reasonable, there could easily be a better solution I haven't thought of.)

I think the cooking can be changed a bit too. 

keep all the basic dishes to the crockpot but as you start making more advanced dishes it would require different things. Like having certain dishes require an oven of sort like the dragonpie.

We dont want to make it annoying and boring so maybe add something to do when its cooking (cant really think of anything). You also need to make it worth your time so adding new foods with better values and more unique buffs would be cool

i think the current dishes that give buffs at the moment are a bit lacking and boring. They are either too much effort making or they are jelly beans and volt goat jelly. (Make coffee 2.0)

21 hours ago, Yoskio said:

I think the cooking can be changed a bit too. 

keep all the basic dishes to the crockpot but as you start making more advanced dishes it would require different things. Like having certain dishes require an oven of sort like the dragonpie.

We dont want to make it annoying and boring so maybe add something to do when its cooking (cant really think of anything). You also need to make it worth your time so adding new foods with better values and more unique buffs would be cool

i think the current dishes that give buffs at the moment are a bit lacking and boring. They are either too much effort making or they are jelly beans and volt goat jelly. (Make coffee 2.0)

How is an oven different to a crock pot? Put food in, wait, take food out. Pointless.

17 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

the only thing I want is a scaled crock pot

Yes, we need this. All it takes is a bird to drop a seed outside our flingos cover, or a willow to smash the flingos and our cookers are cooked. I think this would be very useful and worth it with all the trouble you need to go through to get a couple scales. And scales need more uses in my opinion.

One thing I would "change" about how crockpot works, is that would have a fifth slot for coal comsumption, like a single coal would last for 1 day if lit, but only used if you put something in it and press 'cook'.

that would give a "fairness" of use of coal, that basically get useless after you done some bumerangs/crockpots/drying rack, and some other stuff that uses little, so.

On 5/22/2021 at 10:02 AM, Badarokey said:

One thing I would "change" about how crockpot works, is that would have a fifth slot for coal comsumption, like a single coal would last for 1 day if lit, but only used if you put something in it and press 'cook'.

that would give a "fairness" of use of coal, that basically get useless after you done some bumerangs/crockpots/drying rack, and some other stuff that uses little, so.

yeah, charcoal has little use aside from drying racks, boomerangs, and crockpots (I know there is stuff like scaled furnaces but really you're not gonna make these often unless you're Jazzy). And after you got your perfect kitchen and about 20-40 or so drying racks (because people like the jerkest of all racks), you don't need it for crockpots and drying racks. And with boomerangs it's 1 charcoal per boomerang so after you make like 20-50 you won't need charcoal for a while. At this point the only think you can really do with the stuff is burn it or make some items that aren't crafted frequently. I absolutely agree with you, something needs to eat up our coal, bc coal is supposed to be something essential and fairly easy (if you actually know how, took me a while to figure out how to get charcoal.) early game, along with things like silk, grass, twigs, logs and rocks. But after you get the drying racks, crockpots and boomerangs coal becomes almost useless, and boomerangs aren't really big on coal bc they use 1 charcoal per recipe. So unless you're needing a bunch of boomerangs, you don't need to worry about spending charcoal on them.

1 hour ago, Friendly Grass said:

Fun fact: a burning charcoal on the ground is actually warmer than a max level fire pit or scaled furnace. Although it only burns for 15 seconds.

Really? Have I been wasting things like turf and saplings to fuel the fire when I could be burning this on the ground?

4 hours ago, Friendly Grass said:

Fun fact: a burning charcoal on the ground is actually warmer than a max level fire pit or scaled furnace. Although it only burns for 15 seconds.

wait what??

so now i'll be torching charcoal during winter, drop 1 and boom, sweating to heat.... didn't know either... but we still need more uses for it, as its only purpose is literally be burnt

Archived