What are your true thoughts for RoT???

What are your thoughts of RoT?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts of the story arc?

2. 2. What are your thoughts of the content of RoT?

3. 3. If you were developer at Klei Entertainment, what would you change about the story arc?

4. 4. Do you think RoT was necessary to the game?

5. 5. Okay, last question. Rate RoT through 1 - 10

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Did Wortox having teleporting powers make teleport staffs useless? I believe the answer in most these cases is no.

because thats only him and only him but if they did add it so tellebrella helps everyone it would be game breaking and make him a pick and switch character if they didn't hes not much of a team character if at all

1 minute ago, LinknAllie said:

Oh the characters are very different?  So are Wagstaff and Winona.  Along with that you do need to switch back to Wagstaff eventually for more telebrellas.  

but once you make the  ones you need no point in going back and tellebrellas would be way to game breaking and i feel you neglected the rest of my post when i said combat can be versatile but placing down a machine isn't a much yeah there can be different inventions but it would just be the same but different while wigfrid and wolfgang are extremely different they do fit under a BROAD category or archetype and  this doesn't help that this would make winona more useless and a pick and switch character 

3 minutes ago, Dextops said:

but once you make the  ones you need no point in going back and tellebrellas would be way to game breaking and i feel you neglected the rest of my post when i said combat can be versatile but placing down a machine isn't a much yeah there can be different inventions but it would just be the same but different while wigfrid and wolfgang are extremely different they do fit under a BROAD category or archetype and  this doesn't help that this would make winona more useless and a pick and switch character 

The same point you made in the beginning can also be applied to Wurt.  You only need to go back to her for disguises so the other characters can feed the merm king.  After she builds the merm village and gets a merm king up and running you can switch to any other character.  And once either the disguises spoil or the merm king dies you can simply switch back to Wurt.

Also about the point with machines,  they can be changed.  The point @Mike23Ua made should be enough with the whole "missile silo" idea.  Since at this point I can't tell what you mean by "pick and switch" since what you seem to be saying is that it is a character with an ability only they can use.  So, if Wagstaff and Winona can only use their buildings the problem is solved

Just now, LinknAllie said:

The same point you made in the beginning can also be applied to Wurt.  You only need to go back to her for disguises so the other characters can feed the merm king.  After she builds the merm village and gets a merm king up and running you can switch to any other character.  And once either the disguises spoil or the merm king dies you can simply switch back to Wurt.

Also about the point with machines,  they can be changed.  The point @Mike23Ua made should be enough with the whole "missile silo" idea.  Since at this point I can't tell what you mean by "pick and switch" since what you seem to be saying is that it is a character with an ability only they can use.  So, if Wagstaff and Winona can only use their buildings the problem is solved

if they did somehow either rewrite the entire story to somehow make him playable or did somehow not a pick and switch character while also a team player open arms but the thing is for wurt u will eventually need to switch back to wurt even if you bundle wrap them but with winona catapults it doesn't require a boss drop in fact its the thing getting u the boss drop and once u place them down no maintenance needed u don't need to go back to her ect ect but no matter what arguments come to bring wagstaff in i just don't see it making sense to the story and its too late to rewrite anything for the sake of one character whos already has more lore than 99% of characters and has already made appearance in the game

Throwing wild spitball suggestions here but, possibly the tellebrella are whatever is busted/broken- and that’s why we see Wagstaff at the end of return of them show up to take “something” then leave.

If you look at all the characters who have been reworked they have become “extensions” of their DS counter parts- Woodie who used to fear his curse now has complete control over it, Wendy who enjoys the company of her ghostly sister now has Ectoherbology potions to help aid her sister in combat, Wes who wants to help everyone but has the worst luck has tools to help others lives be better but at his own expense. Willow who used to burn uncontrollable fires when cold and insane now has a companion who helps with cold and insanity.. Warly got better tools to help him be a better chef..

Theyre all in a way “evolving” into something more- And I feel like with Return of Them we are witnessing Wagstaffs part in that story.

Now rather or not he will ever be playable is entirely up to Klei.. but I feel like every character who has been reworked, is becoming more knowledgeable/ learning how to cope with the things that used to bother them.

What we know for fact: Wagstaff created WX78, Is Winona’s boss at Voxola, can create projections of himself, got sucked into the constant for reals during Winona’s short, has bizarre fascinations with power the constant, and wanting to end the world, shows up to take something mysteriously at RoT’s conclusion.

It leaves us all to say, wait.. what? Why..?

Heres where JoeW and crew jump into this thread and reply with “To be continued.. ;)

TLDR: I give ROT a 6/10. It has a great concept, and initial execution of the updates were good, but the lack of community change/questionable choices holds it back from being truly fantastic.

I feel like a lot of people dislike ROT even if it quite literally changed the world. In ~2 years, we went from a cardboard ocean with only the initial continent/caves to a full retrofitted ocean that contains unique lunar themed areas in both shards. Turn of Tides especially helped with that, bringing the lunar island and all of it's inhabitants to toy around with. ROT as a whole added new sources of food (dried kelp being an excellent sanity source, stone fruit having interesting applications, barnacles/leafy meat as crockpot ingredients, etc.), added some neat alternatives to crafts (the glass cutter being a sidegrade to the dark sword and the moon glass axe being super efficient but also very fragile), and added cool interactions (Pearl's quest, assembling 3 lunar altars, etc.). It also was the first time they added major world changing events, like the moonstorm/shadow war.

An argument I see a lot is that the ocean is empty and lacks things to do. I never agreed with this, as there will almost always be reasons to expand the ocean in the future. I highly doubt that they won't add or change things about ocean content to make it feel more engaging after ROT is finished. As for what's in it now, I consider it sufficient enough to mess around with. It's not super rewarding, but I have fun trying out the content added, and the rewards you do get can be fairly meaningful, especially as 2 years ago the ocean basically Did Not Exist.

However, I also won't lie and say I feel like ROT misses something to make it truly stand out. A lot of this, in my opinion, comes from not listening to community feedback well enough, or making changes that polarizes the community entirely. For instance, when they buffed CK's gems to have much more of an impact (especially blue/orange), a lot of people wanted changes/adjustments to how the fight was done solo to make it more rewarding/engaging. However, this never happened, and CK has basically remained as is despite the general negative reception surrounding it. I, myself, wanted the cost for summoning the champion to get reduced, especially since fighting it is enjoyable, but gathering the materials isn't something I particularly like. However, nothing was really done about changing the cost, and as of right now the main reason to do it is to snag 5 enlightened crown shards each kill, which certainty means you need to grind a lot if you want to light up a large area with mushlights or glowcaps.

Overall, I still really like ROT for what it is. It's got good content, and I certainty have had my share of fun with it. I just really wish they had listened to feedback a little more, just to make the content really stand out. Even then, they still changed some things for the better in the community (they even adjusted how moondials will stack moonglass next to them, which was a main issue in my world when eye of the storm came out). Even if I feel a bit mixed on it's released, I do appreciate that they tried to make an expansion that was unique and interesting. 

19 hours ago, LinknAllie said:

Oh the characters are very different?  So are Wagstaff and Winona.  Along with that you do need to switch back to Wagstaff eventually for more telebrellas

Yeah, Wagstaff and Winona are pretty dang different from each other... (WAGSTAFF IS BETTER LUL)

Honestly I think Wagstaff should be a replacement of Winona.

Winona is kinda part of the lore...

But so is Wagstaff, DEFINITELY Wagstaff

He's the suspect of the bunch

3b02e26587a0f31cda2f7cf22f93b8c7.thumb.jpg.8d2bb158191c35f4acb069ad90974f52.jpg

i don't wanna be mean but i also don't want this thread to be closed because of a certain science grandpa derailing it. 

I liked RoT a lot. I loved sailing, i really liked the lunar island and the whole vibe the archives had going on for them (rip mutant mobs, since we didn't get a mutant spiderqueen or anything). However i have to agree with the people that say they sort of expected a little more (like more moonglass crafts, more islands or at least more stuff on the practically unchanged lunar island) and i feel there were loose ends like the sealed portal. 

I really loved RWYS and what it did to the game, and i'd LOVE to see stuff like summer (or seasons in general on the later years) get a similar treatment and change the gameplay curve for the better. The QoLs were great and i'm positive they could do real nifty stuff like buffing the cat cap on further ones.

Lorewise... I didn't really get much of what was going on and i really felt cheated with the "they've been here all along" schtick. I'd much rather have the gameplay be shaken up like what RWYS did than lore heavy content light updates (like eye of the storm), but quite a few peeps disagree with me on that. Best case scenario is a compromise of both tbh. 

Overall, really like it (especially the boats) but i feel a bit of a Hamlet deja vu with the done before it was finished scenario. Was reception also like this back when ANR dropped?

I really want to like ROT and in some ways do, but am also pretty surprised it’s finished. In many ways it feels like a bunch of incomplete parts that are laying the foundation for something else. Lunar Ruins, Ocean, Lunar Islands all seem in their infancy. Like they stated a bunch of new plot lines, but didn’t actually complete any of them. It would have been nice to complete at least one of them. Storyline wise just adding more plot lines and not actually completing anything doesn’t make a good story.

For me I’m still going, “who the heck are them?” Maybe this was answered and I just missed it? If not then that honestly really disappointing because that was the whole point of the beta…

I have to agree with others that besides the celestial champion all of the boss drops are kinda useless.

Edit:

Changed my mind on the boss drops. I think the drops for Malbatross are fine. I still think the Crab King drops are lame tho.

28 minutes ago, X-lem said:

I have to agree with others that besides the celestial champion all of the boss drops are kinda useless.

i mean shadow pieces were also useless and is also pretty hard to do solo (at least for me) kinda like crab king and malbatross actually is useful since his watering can is a nice quality of life thing for a fun boss same with his feathers which make the sail another quality life of thing kinda like houndius shootius but houndius shootius u need a couple to have it affective and need another boss drop all in all the bosses drop wise kinda felt similar to the fuelweaver quest thing

I hate to harp on Klei, I really do, But RoT was way to under baked

The content it added, was all surface level, with 0 depth. Pearl is useless because the new fishing is atrocious and expensive fsr, Archives are useless because of the lack of Thulecite, and how slow it takes to from a single piece (Which Wagstaff's quote implies they are of darker descent!) The Crab King is the worst boss in the game, he's unenjoyable for anyone playing solo, and the only boss I've ever switched to Wolfgang for (And I've killed Misery Toadstool). Things like stone fruit and salt boxes were good additions because they actually added SOMETHING to the basic gameplay loop. The boats themselves are to clunky and slow, and all of they're trinkets take up way to much space. Malbatross was alright, but they're way to hard to find, The Moonstorm is proper late game content, an infinite light source and permanent full moon are two very powerful things, but the Update did absolutely nothing for a majority of the player base. 

Reap What You Sow, is the best update in awhile, it completely changes the way farming works, and seeing players in just about every server use the new system shows the kind of content that this game can benefit from.

Overall, most of it doesn't work and it's hard to fix everything in a single update, but I want more from the sea, I want things that affect the way I live, stone fruit and salt was a good addition and how Klei should focus on the content, as a survival game first.

(Also sidenote, The story was alright, it put a ton of pieces in motion, and just hasn't done anything with them, although the moon could have used some kind of in game appearance besides the moon dial)

Archived