Ornate Chest Traps

@SirToastyToes

Each trap picks a random scenario out of 5. The five are:

1. Sanity trap: Has a 66% chance to alter your sanity by a value randomized between -20 and 20.

2. Hunger trap: Has a 66% chance to alter your hunger by a value randomized between -20 and 20.

3. Health trap: Has a 66% chance to alter your health by a value randomized between 0 and 20.

4. Monster trap: Has a 66% chance to summon 1-3 Depth Dwellers.

5. Inventory trap: Has a 66% chance to:

Roll a "d4 dice".
If it lands on 1, 
	It'll pick a random item in your inventory with uses (generally tools) to alter the durability of by a value randomized between -20% and 20%.
If it lands on 2, 
	It'll pick a random item in your inventory with that can perish (food, hambat, etc). to alter the freshness of by a value randomized between -20% and 20%.
If it lands on 3, 
	It'll pick a random armor item in your inventory to alter the durability of by a value randomized between -20% and 20%.
If it lands on 4, 
	It'll pick a random item in your inventory that can be refueled or repaired with a sewing kit to alter the "durability" of by a value randomized between -20% and 20%.

Once a chest has been opened, it cannot trigger any more traps until it is reset with the ruins.

Additionally, the type of trap changes every time the game is loaded, provided the chest hasn't been opened yet.

17 minutes ago, penguin0616 said:

@SirToastyToes

Each trap picks a random scenario out of 5. The five are:

1. Sanity trap: Has a 66% chance to alter your sanity by a value randomized between -20 and 20.

2. Hunger trap: Has a 66% chance to alter your hunger by a value randomized between -20 and 20.

3. Health trap: Has a 66% chance to alter your sanity by a value randomized between 0 and 20.

4. Monster trap: Has a 66% chance to summon 1-3 Depth Dwellers.

5. Inventory trap: Has a 66% chance to:

Roll a "d4 dice".
If it lands on 1, 
	It'll pick a random item in your inventory with uses (generally tools) to alter the durability of by a value randomized between -20% and 20%.
If it lands on 2, 
	It'll pick a random item in your inventory with that can perish (food, hambat, etc). to alter the freshness of by a value randomized between -20% and 20%.
If it lands on 3, 
	It'll pick a random armor item in your inventory to alter the durability of by a value randomized between -20% and 20%.
If it lands on 4, 
	It'll pick a random item in your inventory that can be refueled or repaired with a sewing kit to alter the "durability" of by a value randomized between -20% and 20%.

Once a chest has been opened, it cannot trigger any more traps until it is reset with the ruins.

Additionally, the type of trap changes every time the game is loaded, provided the chest hasn't been opened yet.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Is the Nightmarebeak removed from the Monster Trap pool then from solo Don't Starve?

34 minutes ago, penguin0616 said:

3. Health trap: Has a 66% chance to alter your sanity by a value randomized between 0 and 20.

Do you mean health instead of sanity? If so, can you die to this? I assume the game treats it as Shenanigans? Very interesting. 

3 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

Do you mean health instead of sanity? If so, can you die to this? I assume the game treats it as Shenanigans? Very interesting. 

Yeah, that should have been health. Thanks.

And no, you can't die to it, since you can't lose any health from it.
It was specifically designed to avoid to avoid that, according to whoever left the code comment: "Changes health (For the better! We don't want the player to die from this)"

22 minutes ago, Fill-Lips said:

Huh, never knew it could alter values for stats and things, and I never notice it did. Neat.

You didn't notice it cause it wasn't the case until a couple of months back when someone pointed out the code for it did not actually work. :P

3 minutes ago, Sinistrem said:

A bit offtopic, but does every chest have a trap, or is there a % chance that chest is just a normal chest?

While I don't know the code, I assume that the 66% means that all chests have a trap, but each of them has just 2/3 chance so get set off when opened.

Also, thanks for the info @QuartzBeam, I thought earlier that the only trap there can be are the spiders.

4 hours ago, fimmatek said:

While I don't know the code, I assume that the 66% means that all chests have a trap, but each of them has just 2/3 chance so get set off when opened.

Correct.

4 hours ago, fimmatek said:

Also, thanks for the info @QuartzBeam, I thought earlier that the only trap there can be are the spiders.

This was due to the bug Quartz mentioned.

Archived