Cook supply is unacceptable

It happened way back before cook supply was even a thing and it still happens now causing catastrophic failure of a colony. So many times my cook who only has cooking priority, everything else is x'd out, will just stand there while his microbe masher needs materials. It puts him to idle as the game struggles to figure out whether a dedicated supplier or the cook should un f this situation. It works when I put the microbe masher to 9 priority but then every duplicant drops what they are doing and hurries to supply it. I'm well versed in how the priority tabs work and the order they function in but this consistent failure of FOOD, the lack of which causes game over, needs to be addressed. This is over multiple installs and many different versions of the game. I've had 15 - 20 colonists and 3 microbmashers with cooks and still people starve do death because cooks stand around.

@elementalsigil If you could share a 5 minute Utube video, showing everything your doing in detail ( priority settings, shift schedule, cooks/food situation etc. ) - Then some people could tell you what the problem is :bee:

As alternative you could upload your save game here, saved in the moment you find you cooks are doing nothing.

Checklist:

1. set  highest cook priority to your chef
  2. set "X" cook priority to everybody else
  3. set 9 priority to your cooking device
  4. be sure you have enough materials (water, dirt, beans whatever you want to cook)
  5. check "errands" tab in your cooking device

General advices -

• no need to build duplicants each 3 cycles if you are not sure what are you doing
  • build more large farms
  • build more stables 
  • cook good-quality food with grill

6 hours ago, degr said:

no need to build duplicants each 3 cycles if you are not sure what are you doing

yes, it can be easily play with only 3 dupes because allot stuff can be automated , older days it was harder when there was no automation

So I've been watching my cooks to see what is going on. I have the microbe mashers set to forever mud pies. When the masher runs out, the supply errand is dumped onto another duplicant doing supply. My cook should act immediately to fill his own station so my other duplicants don't get diverted. Putting the microbe masher to a 9 just makes every duplicant supply dump resources into it. Some things almost need multiple priority settings for different tasks.

7 minutes ago, elementalsigil said:

So I've been watching my cooks to see what is going on. I have the microbe mashers set to forever mud pies. When the masher runs out, the supply errand is dumped onto another duplicant doing supply. My cook should act immediately to fill his own station so my other duplicants don't get diverted. Putting the microbe masher to a 9 just makes every duplicant supply dump resources into it. Some things almost need multiple priority settings for different tasks.

Try enabling task proximity.

I was able to gain ground mainly by the 200 calorie increase for mush fry. It really adds up over time. What I decided to do was lock my cooks in an area with water, dirt and their equipment. It made them do what I wanted without confusing the others.

It's a bit counter-intuitive, but if you set cooking to max priority on your chefs, and set your grills and mushers to LOW priority (i use prio 3 for grills and 2 for mushers), then your haulers won't interfere with your chefs unless they really have nothing else to do. Your chefs will do both the cook supply and the cooking.

They still are a bit stupid about it. Like they will haul ingredients to the grill, but in stead of cooking them they'll go do something else first because they haven't yet noticed the cook job is available even though they literally just delivered the ingredients. But in general this setup works okay.

Ok so the thing with microbe musher is that it needs a lot of resource hauling to keep continous work. This is why you see multiple dupes jump on the job once it`s at prio 9. The cook job doesn`t involve supplying the cooking machines which seems intended so that the cooking dupe can focus on his job. (it`s not consistent for other job supply though)

For me having a designated supply dupe (usually 3-4 of them actually) fixes this sort of issues. The dupes need to have higher personal priority n supply and with the musher on 7 they will focus on supplying it whenever it needs it. Anyway with how long the musher takes to make stuff it is advised to use a dupe with high cooking stat or maybe make multiple mushers of them if the food situation is critical.

6 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

The cook job doesn`t involve supplying the cooking machines

It does. The "cook supply" errand counts as both cooking and supplying, so both chefs and haulers will do it. Chefs will do it even with supply labour completely disabled. You can see what labour types the errand counts as in the "errands" tab of the cooking building when it has a supply errand available. It will also tell you exactly who is interfering with your chef's job.

I think for beginners the whole cook supply and cooking can get confusing, if they have a lot of other things going on in their base. It takes time and experience to figure out how all the game systems interact with each other - Which can be great play joy once the person has figured out how everything works in detail.

If you have a dedicated cook and a dedicated supplier you can use door permissions to prevent the supplier from entering the kitchen.  If you do this you'll need to allow your cook to deliver cooked food somewhere where everyone can reach it, such as a dinning hall.

12 hours ago, omlk said:

Here's an example: under stress, the duplicant destroyed the walls of the rocket and I built a comfortable module for flights :)

I`m pretty sure this was fixed a while ago. Recently they applied the fixed to the windows. Does it still happen?

12 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Does it still happen?

Normal deconstruction (replace) of rocket tiles doesn't happen anymore. Destructive dupes though are insane and they don't care. They will break it anyways. (I don't know if it will stay broken after load though...)

Archived