Hi all.
I've returned to this game after a long hiatus and found myself pretty disappointed with a lot of the changes to Woodie that came with his rework update. Since now it seems like manipulating the curse directly with resources is no longer possible (before, you could forego a transformation during the full moon almost entirely by setting down some logs or living logs), and so I think this would get really grating in longer games without being to enter and exit transformations at will.

I was wondering if anyone else shares this opinion, and also wondering if there exists a mod that brings back his old (old DST, not old singleplayer) abilities. Apologies if that would be better suited to the mod subforum.

23 minutes ago, FloomRide said:

I think this would get really grating in longer games without being to enter and exit transformations at will.

woodie can transform to specific beast with his kitschy idol, on the magic tab

image.png.e3cf383446ff11f06f5b2bbd8a5adbb3.pngimage.png.dfa17717912cfb1cb4771a33165ae39d.pngimage.png.30836c8d06c4f0cc71b607dbdf26f112.png

fullmoon and eating 2 monster meat also trigger the transformation but its on random . 

u can exit the transformation by stay still or type /dance to exit with style 

tbh i like this woodie better than old one, i was wicker main before this but woodie is so good with early game 
with the goose idol ucan rush the lunar island for stone fruit bushes 
with moose u can fight without armor and weapon .. really good with frog rain too 
beaver ? seems slower but being beaver prevent treeguard from spawning 

try play him and u will find it how much woodie is buffed on his last update  

4 hours ago, FloomRide said:

Hi all.
I've returned to this game after a long hiatus and found myself pretty disappointed with a lot of the changes to Woodie that came with his rework update. Since now it seems like manipulating the curse directly with resources is no longer possible (before, you could forego a transformation during the full moon almost entirely by setting down some logs or living logs), and so I think this would get really grating in longer games without being to enter and exit transformations at will.

I was wondering if anyone else shares this opinion, and also wondering if there exists a mod that brings back his old (old DST, not old singleplayer) abilities. Apologies if that would be better suited to the mod subforum.

Woodie's refresh was very successful. Based on polls he is now one of the most beloved characters.

With any refresh, there will always be someone more happy with the traditional character design.
And while i do not share your opinion, It would be pretty cool, if Klei made the legacy character versions into a mod.

I am pretty sure there is a mod for classic Woodie, but I'm not sure if it's for the singleplayer Woodie or the old DST Woodie.

Yeah he is a lot better now. I never even touched Woodie much before the update and after the update he has become one of my main choices at the start of a new world and even late game. Each different mode he can voluntarily transform into by just eating small little mixtures of ingredients to make one of his idols is super handy.

I would suggest transforming into a goose and running straight to the lunar island as long as you have another idol on you and some food. Get there with a shovel quickly dig up some stone fruit bushes and run back to the main land and make your base. Easiest filler and veggie you will have and it grows very fast as well.

So many other awesome things you can do with him as well.

A lot of good advice here. I'd suggest, even if you still think pre-rework Woodie is better, to try the new woodie out a bit. Try the other forms, they're very fun, and I'm hoping they'll grow on you. It probably takes a bit of getting used to. 

you know it realy was just anoying to just make 3 trees fall and then transform all the time like that musik is gettin old realy fast too i think it was for the best to remove that thing as well as the wood eating like hes souposed to get wood not eat it so yes its better and the new forms can come in handy even more so the goose one that can walk on water and may get too moon isle on day 4 and get some kelp replanting or stone bushes

Archived