Does that one Wigfrid song work on the Champion?

Bel Canto of Courage... I know on wiki it says that it halves negative sanity auras, but, you know, it's wiki. Did anyone test whether it halves the positive sanity aura of the boss?

I want to take the Champion on in my Wigfrid solo world, and I trying to think what to do to lower my sanity during the battle (or not gain as much). This fight seems to be especially difficult as Wigfrid, ironically. Not only do you passively gain sanity, but you can't benefit from eating green caps, blue caps or glommer's goop.

Using a lazy deserter doesn't seem ideal, the Champion will likely destroy it. Monster meat I guess...? Or just wearing a bone helm or nightmare amulet?

6 hours ago, Roodmas said:

Bel Canto of Courage... I know on wiki it says that it halves negative sanity auras, but, you know, it's wiki. Did anyone test whether it halves the positive sanity aura of the boss?

I want to take the Champion on in my Wigfrid solo world, and I trying to think what to do to lower my sanity during the battle (or not gain as much). This fight seems to be especially difficult as Wigfrid, ironically. Not only do you passively gain sanity, but you can't benefit from eating green caps, blue caps or glommer's goop.

Using a lazy deserter doesn't seem ideal, the Champion will likely destroy it. Monster meat I guess...? Or just wearing a bone helm or nightmare amulet?

Sadly, Bel Canto of Courage does not work for halving positive sanity auras, it only halves negative sanity auras.

Edit: Man, today is not my day, the original post I had was "Sadly, Bel Canto of Courage does not work on Wigfrid :(" that doesnt even make SENSE, aaaa

54 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Why do you want low enlightenment? To avoid gestalts? A bunch of mushy cakes might do the trick?

Otherwise yeah maybe bone helm/dark sword combo?

While Mushy Cake will help to make sure you don't fall asleep, you can still become slowed down when hit by a gestalt because you'll be groggy. So it's best to try and stay at low sanity, since being slow in combat is not a great thing haha.

How about using night armor during phase 1 and 3, and maybe get hit on purpose once and then. If you lost too much HP you can use a BatBat.

I haven’t tried but I guess you can also eat cooked monster meat, or spoiled cooked monster meat, and to restore the HP you can use a mix of her leeching powers + health song + jellybeans.

I would use monter meat or bone helmet but also take in count that using certain magical things lower a lot your sanity

If you have many star caller staffs/telelocator staff you can use it every time you need to lower your sanity. The good thing is that you dont waste too much since you can convert the star caller into moon caller

I haven't thought of many of those! There are actually a lot of creative ways to lower your sanity. I think I will try the nightmare armor strategy, I have a bunch of them lying around from shape clockwork fights anyway. And make some bat bats for good measure.

I suppose the helmet might be the most reliable strategy if you have a lot of them or you don't get hit too much.

Otherwise, monster meat seems like the next method of you don't want to use head/body items.

Alright...so going into the lunar champion fight as Wig I need:

-Armor (head seems best because there's so much to carry..)

-Weapons- night swords seem best to help keep enlightenment low as possible

-weather pains - to destroy his crystals in stage 3

-mushy cakes - so if I do get hit by gestalts I don't get put to sleep

-bone helms/starcallers - to keep enlightenment low, starcaller seems best as I can turn them into mooncallers and avoid wastage and bone helm leaves me a little vulnerable, then again starcaller needs time to cast where I could be attacking or doing something else. I might take both 

-Optional but I plan on taking garlic jellybeans and a spicy volt goat jelly or two to make things easier/smoother 

Anything I'm missing?

Might take the durability song to have weapons last longer, life song seems unnecessary I'll have jellybeans and can always take some pierogis if need be.

7 hours ago, VouMorrer said:

i've seen people using lazy deserter to low your sanity, but the champion might break it, so be careful

It works perfectly as long as you don't put it on it's (especially phase 2's) direct path of destruction. Nice to visit it as a pitstop, especially in between Phase 3's Gestalt attacks since that's the phase with the most threatening gestalts and unconfrontational behaviour. The negative sanity from night armors and dark swords are nothing compared to Celestial Champion's insane enlightenment.

20210501125238_1.thumb.jpg.de3ff4ec672222dd7d9a208fbb79c18a.jpg

For Wigfrid I'd go with Weaponized Warble and Heartening Ballad. It's hard to maintain a third song with the safe kiting patterns in mind and neither of the sanity songs nor the fireproof falsetto (are we surprised?) do you much good in this battle.

So I came up with a mini "solution" to sanity management during the fight...ish. Spoiler of my strategy below.

Spoiler

Alright, feel free to poke holes in this plan, but you could make it so that the area will give you as much sanity as possible per minute, and then use Grim Galettes whenever your health gets low enough to swap the ever increasing enlightenment. The only problem are gestalts though, but one idea I had was to litter the area with Dark Swords or Night Armor as a one-time investment to repel them; in my tests, the gestalts wouldn't even notice me as they were fleeing and the area between the items seems to be large enough to be fairly spaced apart. This could open up the possibility of utilizing high-sanity foods such as Moqueca or Cooked Cactus Flesh and reduce the impact of sanity management...maybe. This also gives a slight excuse to use Grim Galletes since regularly they are detrimental on land due to the effects of low sanity, whereas on the lunar island lower sanity is ideal.

I tested this in and out of battle, and I came to a couple conclusions:

1. The Grim Gallette seems to work fine when you've taken a considerable amount of damage, and if all goes well, could be a pretty useful insta-heal item. This, in my opinion, would pair well with other healing items as well until you need an instant full-health food.
  2. Gestalts weren't much of an issue because of the repelling effect, but I soon found out that my covered area wasn't nearly big enough for the first couple phases. A bit resource intensive, but it doesn't seem that any of the swords get moved at all during the fight.

Not sure how viable any of this is, but I thought it would be an interesting perspective on the fight for sure.

3 hours ago, Owlrus said:

So I came up with a mini "solution" to sanity management during the fight...ish. Spoiler of my strategy below.

Hide contents

Alright, feel free to poke holes in this plan, but you could make it so that the area will give you as much sanity as possible per minute, and then use Grim Galettes whenever your health gets low enough to swap the ever increasing enlightenment. The only problem are gestalts though, but one idea I had was to litter the area with Dark Swords or Night Armor as a one-time investment to repel them; in my tests, the gestalts wouldn't even notice me as they were fleeing and the area between the items seems to be large enough to be fairly spaced apart. This could open up the possibility of utilizing high-sanity foods such as Moqueca or Cooked Cactus Flesh and reduce the impact of sanity management...maybe. This also gives a slight excuse to use Grim Galletes since regularly they are detrimental on land due to the effects of low sanity, whereas on the lunar island lower sanity is ideal.

I tested this in and out of battle, and I came to a couple conclusions:

1. The Grim Gallette seems to work fine when you've taken a considerable amount of damage, and if all goes well, could be a pretty useful insta-heal item. This, in my opinion, would pair well with other healing items as well until you need an instant full-health food.
  2. Gestalts weren't much of an issue because of the repelling effect, but I soon found out that my covered area wasn't nearly big enough for the first couple phases. A bit resource intensive, but it doesn't seem that any of the swords get moved at all during the fight.

Not sure how viable any of this is, but I thought it would be an interesting perspective on the fight for sure.

Wigfrid can eat it?

I dont really like using it because means that you will be tanking. Maybe tanking with the night armor reduce a lot the sanity but agaisnt a boss that can deal up to 500 damage.... i wont take the risk or the resources

You can use that dish and also monter meat now that i think, reducing your hp and sanity and later using the pie to swap

8 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Wigfrid can eat it?

Oh for gosh sakes I can't believe I tested all of this and I forgot about that. On the bright side though, at least we found that Grim Gallettes can be useful for other characters.

Archived