Deck Illuminator rework

The Deck Illuminator exists for the need of light on the boat but suffers from problems that make it less reliable than a Firepit.

Right of the bad, whether if is a bug or was designed that way, Deck Illuminators only receive half the fuel value of burnable items, so a Glommer Goop will only fuel it 50%; interestingly Willow's perk doesn't apply on Deck Illuminators. Getting rid of this penalty would make it more helpful.

Another thing is that it does not provide heat making it necessary to built a Firepit anyways; either making it have a heat aura or have 2 or 4 slots to put Thermal Stones. Also maybe giving it Nitre makes a cold flame and other flamable items hot flame, making a Edothermic Firepit not needed during summer.

I think it not giving heat is intended so it doesn't compete with a firepit. In exchange for more space on your boat you can still have light. 

I think it should have a slower burn rate to still make them worth while, meaning fuel will last longer than normal. At the moment they're not worthwhile. 

The Deck Illuminator doesn't need to be changed, it was added as an easy alternative light source for when a new player sailed too close to Spittlefish. The new player would get scared, run back to base, build this Deck Illuminator, and attach it to one of the masts as emergency light.

Lantern and Miner Hat are great light source alternatives, but they require constant Lightbulb refueling, unless you've already obtained the middle-to-late-game Bundling Wrap (and like to use the Bundling Wrap, which I don't).

Mushlamp/Glowcap with crown shard/Festive Light would be the ultimate endgame light source, with its infinite light.

I generally prefer the fire pit as well on my boats. But now that I think about it, the main fuel source available at sea is boards, right? You might also bring some glommer goop. Both of these items fuel a fire pit to max. Even with half efficiency, 1 of these items might still be enough to get through most nights, which is what matters. Combined with advantage in rain, usable near sea weeds, and not taking up precious boat space, deck illuminators are a very appealing option.

I think as willow for example, the deck illuminator is definitely worth it because it has the fuel capacity of a fire pit but the efficiency of a campfire. Meaning willow’s fuel efficiency perk is able to apply with boards/glommer goop here (which it doesn’t normally with campfires/fire pits because of max fuel capacity). Furthermore, willow can cook with her lighter.

TL;DR the deck illuminator is far from objectively worse than the fire pit. They both have their own perks and downsides.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:27 PM, Just-guy said:

Right of the bad, whether if is a bug or was designed that way, Deck Illuminators only receive half the fuel value of burnable items, so a Glommer Goop will only fuel it 50%; interestingly Willow's perk doesn't apply on Deck Illuminators. Getting rid of this penalty would make it more helpful.

The deck illuminator being worse than a fire pit is to be expected when a fire pit takes up at the very least 1/7 of your available large structure slots and the deck illuminator is given to you for free.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:27 PM, Just-guy said:

Another thing is that it does not provide heat making it necessary to built a Firepit anyways; either making it have a heat aura or have 2 or 4 slots to put Thermal Stones. Also maybe giving it Nitre makes a cold flame and other flamable items hot flame, making a Edothermic Firepit not needed during summer.

The deck illuminator providing heat would not only make no sense, but make it suck. It's great that it provides no heat so it can't overheat you in autumn & summer, if it provided heat you'd have to put the mast on an awkward corner of the boat or use ice bream for half the year like it's a scaled furnace.

If you don't want a fire pit on the boat but want to stay warm use a scorching sunfish, hot dragon chili salad, or a crapload of kabobs / spicy chili.

Archived