I am using shine bugs for my radbolt needs.

I have a normal breeder ranch for them, and then the excess I stuff into a 12-tile-large starvation "ranch" which contains nothing but a critter drop-off point and a radbolt generator.

So far, so good. The starvation ranch gets up to 20 shine bugs, and PETA gets very mad at me for cramped cages, but whatever, i get my radbolts right next to my Atomic Collider.

OR SO I THOUGHT. Twice now, I've been happily rad-researching away with a cramped ranch full of shine bugs one cycle, and the next cycle, they're all dead. All 20 of 'em. In one cycle. I have never actually seen the mass death event; I just check once and they're there, I check again and they're all gone.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Can anyone explain it? Am I going mad?

42 minutes ago, Tsabo said:

OR SO I THOUGHT. Twice now, I've been happily rad-researching away with a cramped ranch full of shine bugs one cycle, and the next cycle, they're all dead. All 20 of 'em. In one cycle. I have never actually seen the mass death event; I just check once and they're there, I check again and they're all gone.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Can anyone explain it? Am I going mad?

Could it be their body temperature hit a certain degree? Check the temperature in the ranch and see if it's between -20.1C and 49.9C. Anything outside those ranges and you've probably found your cause of death.

I would otherwise guess that the radbolts fired from the collector killed them, but 20 dead in a cycle seems highly unlikely.

5 hours ago, Electroely said:

Could it be their body temperature hit a certain degree? Check the temperature in the ranch and see if it's between -20.1C and 49.9C. Anything outside those ranges and you've probably found your cause of death.

I would otherwise guess that the radbolts fired from the collector killed them, but 20 dead in a cycle seems highly unlikely.

Hmm. I remember seeing something similar, but with Beetas. Klei accidentally removed the beeta's life cycle, so beetinys became beetas and didn't die after. I called it, the beetapocalipse.

Archived