[Spaced Out! Update] - 458490

Just now, Sasza22 said:

I`m currently trying to play without solar at least until i start producing glass (like if i couldn`t use PoIs). It`s managable but doesn`t feel good.

Good, that's the way it should be. Early game shouldn't be as easy as it is right now.

In the base game i`d switch to nat gas or petrol already but it`s not available on the starting asteroid so you feel stuck when you don`t go solar.

There are sometimes natgas vents on the oil planetoid. I think it depends on the start position, and isn't guaranteed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, n_t_p said:

There are sometimes natgas vents on the oil planetoid. I think it depends on the start position, and isn't guaranteed. 

Iirc they spawn in the oil biome most of the time so you need atmo suits before you get it. Incentivies early space travel but it feels a bit messy on the power side.

29 minutes ago, n_t_p said:

Moving the seat does help a lot. Dumping mats and storing stuff in bins does sorta break balance, but unless we get a life support module that's the way to go I guess. I don't think full rocket shipping automation is on the table for now unfortunately, especially with the interplanetary launcher being so easy to use. 

Rocketry should be the endgame logistics. I think the payload launcher is a step backward. It's way too easy compared to rocketry, and it doesn't make for engaging gameplay. 

I almost want to have them go back original command capsule set up where you just shove the dupe in and your done tbh. I feel like they could reuse the assets for the rocket interiors by making it so we can set up a space station somewhere. I just don't like going "lets put in a fridge, then fill it partway with non perishable food, but make sure there's no other fridges with that food on the storage list, then deconstruct it, then make a storage container for algae..." and repeat this process for everything else you need. Then if you need Space research you have to do all of that then also fit in a space research station and make sure you bring enough plastic or you have to land again. I get that the bigger capsule allows for more freedom but isn't it taking up two module slots because of itself and the nosecone that has to go on top of it?

25 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Iirc they spawn in the oil biome most of the time so you need atmo suits before you get it. Incentivies early space travel but it feels a bit messy on the power side.

I don't think you need atmo suits. It comes out at 150 C so you need steel, but you can build it without atmo suits if you're careful.

1 minute ago, crbd115 said:

I almost want to have them go back original command capsule set up where you just shove the dupe in and your done tbh. I feel like they could reuse the assets for the rocket interiors by making it so we can set up a space station somewhere. I just don't like going "lets put in a fridge, then fill it partway with non perishable food, but make sure there's no other fridges with that food on the storage list, then deconstruct it, then make a storage container for algae..." and repeat this process for everything else you need. Then if you need Space research you have to do all of that then also fit in a space research station and make sure you bring enough plastic or you have to land again. I get that the bigger capsule allows for more freedom but isn't it taking up two module slots because of itself and the nosecone that has to go on top of it?

The two module slots of the spacefarer module does hurt, but I think it accurately integrates the tyranny of the rocket equation into gameplay. If you want bigger better rockets you have to pay up more and more for every little bit of extra capacity you get.

Again, a life support module would really help. You can't really set up automated rocketry shipping right now without it.

9 minutes ago, n_t_p said:

I don't think you need atmo suits. It comes out at 150 C so you need steel, but you can build it without atmo suits if you're careful.

The two module slots of the spacefarer module does hurt, but I think it accurately integrates the tyranny of the rocket equation into gameplay. If you want bigger better rockets you have to pay up more and more for every little bit of extra capacity you get.

Again, a life support module would really help. You can't really set up automated rocketry shipping right now without it.

IMO what would really help is having command capsules come with a built in toilet that takes up a one spaces wide by 2-3 spaces tall and shoots the waste out into space or stores it until it needs to be emptied and maybe has half the uses of an outhouse, and then make the disinfectant dispenser the same size.

This way the batroom in the command capsule only takes up a 2x6 space.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

IMO what would really help is having command capsules come with a built in toilet that takes up a one spaces wide by 2-3 spaces tall and shoots the waste out into space or stores it until it needs to be emptied and maybe has half the uses of an outhouse, and then make the disinfectant dispenser the same size.

This way the batroom in the command capsule only takes up a 2x6 space.

Venting to space should be possible in the command module, but I don't think a fixed built in bathroom is the solution. Taking options AWAY is always going to be bad. We should have more options and possibilities on how to set it up, not less.

1 minute ago, n_t_p said:

Venting to space should be possible in the command module, but I don't think a fixed built in bathroom is the solution. Taking options AWAY is always going to be bad. We should have more options and possibilities on how to set it up, not less.

They can make it deconstruct-able and rebuildable like the pilot seat, just make it so it has to be attached to a wall. Or just have a plastic version of the outhouse that is smaller and doesn't make as many germs.
But honestly I would rather them solve the issue of dropping materials on the ground to exploit the storage of the module rather then have more efficient space.

• Like 1

Just now, crbd115 said:

They can make it deconstruct-able and rebuildable like the pilot seat, just make it so it has to be attached to a wall. Or just have a plastic version of the outhouse that is smaller and doesn't make as many germs.
But honestly I would rather them solve the issue of dropping materials on the ground to exploit the storage of the module rather then have more efficient space.

Miniaturization could be an option, there's already mini pumps. It'd have to come with some downside though.

Increasing burden is an option for stuff inside the crew module. It'd make the rocket slower. Mass in the cargo hold is exempted from the burden penalty, incentivizing it's use over cabin storage.

1 minute ago, n_t_p said:

Miniaturization could be an option, there's already mini pumps. It'd have to come with some downside though.

Increasing burden is an option for stuff inside the crew module. It'd make the rocket slower. Mass in the cargo hold is exempted from the burden penalty, incentivizing it's use over cabin storage.

The downside like I said is half the storage of waste as the basic outhouse. It's a smaller and less germ hospitable version of a spot to poop it doesn't need much.

Just now, crbd115 said:

The downside like I said is half the storage of waste as the basic outhouse. It's a smaller and less germ hospitable version of a spot to poop it doesn't need much.

That's not much of a downside. It just means slightly more dupe labor, which is irrelevant for rocket dupe that will be idle anyway.

Just now, n_t_p said:

That's not much of a downside. It just means slightly more dupe labor, which is irrelevant for rocket dupe that will be idle anyway.

That's fine, that's the point, there doesn't need to be much. Its a very basic tech. 

Just now, crbd115 said:

That's fine, that's the point, there doesn't need to be much. Its a very basic tech. 

All of the other miniaturized buildings have major downsides. I don't think free miniaturization is appropriate. It should come with downsides, otherwise there's no reason to use anything else.

Just now, n_t_p said:

All of the other miniaturized buildings have major downsides. I don't think free miniaturization is appropriate. It should come with downsides, otherwise there's no reason to use anything else.

Sometimes that's just how advancing tech is. The more efficient design given by a more efficient material allows for that. Half the storage capacity is enough of a downside because its not upgrading the basic outhouse by much and it is worse then using plumbing because it involves dupe labor.

7 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

What's New and Improved?

Features

• Added Radbolt Engine for exploring space with your new radiation technologies

Radbolt engine does not provide any power while in flight? Seems like an oversight considering it's huge range, but maybe not. The only other engine that doesn't provide power is the CO2 engine, which seems appropriate. 

image.thumb.png.cc6332ac590e7b93ba14fb4aa76092d5.png

The balance on this thing is way off. There is no cooldown. The building still accepts input during "rail cleaning", which means as soon as rail cleaning is done you can fire off all 6 shots at once. You can power the whole setup, pumps, radbolts and all on a single power line.

The current limit is just the throughput of the ports themselves. 20kg/s for solids, 10 kg/s liquids and 1kg/s gas. Total 31 kg/s. Just counting solids that would take 2.2 round trip rocket launches per cycle to match. At 1.3 tiles per cycle for an endgame hydrogen rocket you'd need... 20 rockets, assuming no downtime. Downtime is mandatory for unloading and refueling, so ??? 

This thing is completely broken. There's no point to use rockets for shipping when this thing exists. You've reduced rockets to glorified taxi cabs for dupes, and considering you can print dupes on the planet you want them to live on there's hardly even a need for that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, n_t_p said:

You've reduced rockets to glorified taxi cabs for dupes, and considering you can print dupes on the planet you want them to live on there's hardly even a need for that.

Have you considered the fact that you need space for research? There's orbital research that you still need to go into space for, unless even that's messed up.

1 minute ago, Xenologist said:

Have you considered the fact that you need space for research? There's orbital research that you still need to go into space for, unless even that's messed up.

That's a one-time cost, and can be performed en-route. My point is what's the purpose of the cargo module now? The only reason I'd use one is for fixtures, which seems completely absurd. 

There doesn't seem much you can do in space, perhaps temporary maps for mining could be made that force you to use rockets to mine. You couldn't build a porta-pod on them, but they'd contain a ton of resources, or at least enough on them to make them worthwhile to mine.

2 minutes ago, Xenologist said:

There doesn't seem much you can do in space, perhaps temporary maps for mining could be made that force you to use rockets to mine. You couldn't build a porta-pod on them, but they'd contain a ton of resources, or at least enough on them to make them worthwhile to mine.

I made a suggestion and demo for a feature similar to this. Check it out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xenologist said:

That's where I got the idea from. Would that solve your issue though?

Would that solve the issue of interplanetary launcher being OP? No. It's unrelated.

EDIT that would give more uses for rockets, but it's intended for people who can't tame volcanoes. I wouldn't need it unless they gated resources behind the feature.

Edited by n_t_p

9 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Added Targeting Beacon to guide Payloads to a specific spot on a planetoid surface

Targeting beacon does not generate heat. It lists 500 DTU/s, but never gains temp

25 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

If we go zero G then we should go swiming too.

We have a whole water world already.

Where are the giant clams? Shrimp? Electric eels? Kelp!

Critters on water planetoid would wreck havoc on framerates. They can path through the whole volume of the planetoid, even a single pacu would be terrible.

Filling up container to destroy them to have a big pile of crap in your ship,or building infinite set-up to test the launcher...breaking the damn windows of the POI to make solar, if you want to do these why bother asking for balance or asking to nerf the panels ?.Klei is pulling one of the most impressive release  i never seen but everyone is there asking for balance on things you chose to abuse. On methods that bypass the default game difficulty.

Personally I want this game to be like a kick in the nuts i choose not to abuse the game mechanics.I mean yeah, you can store 1000 tons of crap in one tile IF you want to. I never did,and certainly wont begin in my rocket because i lack space, you guys know what i can't do anymore ? destroy the walls of a rocket in a future game if I want for fun just once. nope people abused it to the point of calling it broken gameplay. This is removing some of the fun in creating crazy things once in a while.And before everything let's remember nothing is setted yet the game is still releasing

Wait before calling all space stuff broken,im certain Meteors are coming back on some of the planets (there are new meteors in the sandbox tools even a nuclear one) and i also have some ideas of my own on wich way to go in the future but eh this is only opinion.let see,I do hope they add punch to the diseases options .....after that, Moo reproduction...interplanetary automation signals...plants mutations...freezing batch of dupes with the cryo box we find on the 2nd planet...Regolith...about solar maybe make the glass forge produce more heat or/and add overheating solar panels and the actual cable being a heat transfer from space. 

Keep it coming klei this is awesome !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Uranium should be renewable.

RADIOACTIVE URANIUM REGOLITH :confused::confused::confused: ...also add Gassy-Moo-reproduction for @Lbphero :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, arvenil said:

I would like to already buy second DLC. Really love the experience so far, and it was only ~10 EUR. I only miss better keybindings to switch planets. You guys rock and deserve more funding.

The EMERGENCY DLC

Including sparks, ignition, combustion, explosions, fires, firefighters, multiplayer and endgame challenge events, catastrophes and surprises :confused::confused::confused:

Edited by babba
  • Like 2
  • Big Ups 1