2021 Roadmap Character Discussion

Anyone remember the discussion we had about who would be reworked first? Well remember how I said that the new character was a whole can of worms I didn't want to get into, well let's talk about it now, the other discussion seems to have cooled down. What do you think the new DLC character will be? Will it be a new character, or one from the DLCs? Why do you think the way you do? And if you think they're brewing a new character, what do you think it could be?

Pokemon-Rage.gif.f803377dfc42542e137087b94534f840.gif

Kinda feels like were having one of these threads every other day now... Since Klei said the next character was going to be "New" I don't think it will be an old one.  Anyways my top picks are:

1. A moon person. 

We've been getting a lot of moon content lately. 

2. A new anthropomorphic character (catcoon or bunnyman)

Most dlc characters have been this except for Walter and I believe Klei said they wouldn't impact the story directly. 

3. An ancient that didnt die because he fled to the moon

Would be cool. I love pseudoscience crafts and a character who could learn them after crafting at a pseudoscience station would be top dollar.

4. Charlie (Im starting to doubt this one ngl) 

I did a really long explanation before but after hearing everyone's opinion on it Im not sure anymore. I do hope Charlie stays the main villain for the rest of the games development. 

I lot of ppl think they'll put in wagstaff, and while I like him he's kinda useless, all his perks have been given to other characters (Engineering to Winona and the ability to see tentacles was given to wurt) and his nearsightedness is a real problem for people as the only way they can fight is to either use the chest slot or the visor unless they want the nearsighted effect, not to mention usefull headgear items like a beefalo hat or the eyebrella can't be used without nearsightedness taking effect, his perks have been given to other characters and he's really just a challenge character if they put him in.

Walter isn't a DLC character, DLC characters are the ones you pay for, not to mention that a catcoon character wouldn't make much sense and charlie is just not gonna be implemented as a playable character for obvious reasons, and a bunnyman character would be another wurt with a beard mechanic. With a moon character Idk what the gimmick would be, and it needs to be a good gimmick bc that (and SW incompatibility) is why Warbucks was taken down, nobody wants to hoard money for something as dumb as a sanity gain. I don't see what you could do for a moon character gimmick or why a moon person would even exist.

I forgot about your ancient character and he is basically your moon man and being able to craft ancient sudoscience station and be able to prototype the crafts is hella op, even if it costs like 10 of each gem and a stack of thulecite, people would have next to no need for the ruins other than to go get materials to craft said ancient crafts. Honestly someone could play the game normally until they could easily take down dfly, then do a few dfly fights for the gems, and for the thulecite you could use ambrosia to farm it using the dust moths (why would you kill these things?). It may take a while but when people make one, they will have next to no need for the ruins, might as well give them an ability to make thulecite.

its a lizard because of "dlc" characters not bein human at all and the idea of that wolfgang is all attack and wigfrid is attack and defense i came up whit idea of full defense character so thinkin that a knight would make most sense for that because they wear heavy armor and all and got me thinkin about the none human part makes me think that knights hunt dragons (nothing against you realy) and to make it funny made it a lizard knight

i mean i soupose there are some kobolds disigns out there that kinda look like lizards so i guess there can be somewhat of a i forgot the word like miss lookin somehing for that alsol thats why i added horns too to make it more "lizard" like

2 hours ago, Dragolantis said:

Walter isn't a DLC character, DLC characters are the ones you pay for,

Walter was planned to be paid dlc but later decided to make him free.

not to mention that a catcoon character wouldn't make much sense

Makes as much sense as a playable krampus character, or a merm character, a monkey character, a plant, a pig character or a spider character.

and charlie is just not gonna be implemented as a playable character for obvious reasons

Who knows? :P

, and a bunnyman character would be another wurt with a beard mechanic.

Not necessarily. Perhaps it can be the first tool less character with big chompers anything is possible. Easy scienceless ruins rush.

With a moon character Idk what the gimmick would be, and it needs to be a good gimmick bc that (and SW incompatibility) is why Warbucks was taken down, nobody wants to hoard money for something as dumb as a sanity gain. I don't see what you could do for a moon character gimmick or why a moon person would even exist.

Its all up to how limited your imagination is. We have tons of moon related items and events it can have special interactions with.

I forgot about your ancient character and he is basically your moon man and being able to craft ancient sudoscience station and be able to prototype the crafts is hella op,

It really isnt. Maybe its because I've gotten so good at ruins rushing but Im usually down there by day 5-10. If anything it would allow noobies that would never have their hand on the items otherwise. Good downsides would round out the character well.

even if it costs like 10 of each gem and a stack of thulecite, people would have next to no need for the ruins other than to go get materials to craft said ancient crafts.

Most late term people have the ruins on auto clear by late game with catapults, cave skeleton, anenemies, etc. It just saves time. 

Honestly someone could play the game normally until they could easily take down dfly, then do a few dfly fights for the gems, and for the thulecite you could use ambrosia to farm it using the dust moths (why would you kill these things?). It may take a while but when people make one, they will have next to no need for the ruins, might as well give them an ability to make thulecite.

The ruins are still essential for the required materials. The methods you are describing are not nearly as plentiful as the quantities you'll find underground. If anything the perk is actually quite useless and boring now that I think about it, other than crafting an emergency star caller it doesn't have many uses. Raiding the ruins is not even hard... 

Mechanically I'd say an Oceans-oriented character is probably the biggest opportunity, I feel the game would be radically different if someone brought a more economical way to explore the shallows, and a new character could be a good way to explore this especially since I'm not sure if Woodlegs or Walani would translate over to DST well without major overhauls.

The idea of a Tallbirds-Webber has me intrigued, though just like Webber I don't how how well it would work since Webber's in an awkward position as-is. Cool abilities but they just don't translate to playing with other characters that well.

My personal guess is that they're going to keep the lid on lore-heavy characters until they decide to move the plot along. Easiest guess would be they're holding Wagstaff for a big update down the line, since he's tied to basically every real-world character and is the most likely to get the clock running on Ancients Apocalypse 2 with absolute fuel shenanigans.

We already sort of have a Lunar character in Wormwood, in a vague sense. Lore / Design-wise there's a lot of fun to be had in a more Gestalt-like being, but the issue I see is that it would be an absolute pain to have a lot of your character identity stuck behind lunar stuff, which you wouldn't be able to access without a Woodie and / or a lot of sailing, which is pretty late-game as of now. They could work with moonrock to bridge the gap, I suppose?

Just for throwing ideas out, a Rock Lobster character could be interesting. Perhaps something caves-centric but with a strong defensive focus in exchange for slower movespeed & a reliance on minerals in some way?

2 hours ago, Does said:

I'm not sure if Woodlegs or Walani would translate over to DST well without major overhauls.

Woodlegs would be very cool for DST because he's a badass old pirate dude what's not to love about him! He's my 2nd most favorite character in DS!

He could be very cool with like a custom pirate mast which has special abilities? Maybe even start out with a boat which's smaller than the usual pancake boat, but has some sort of special ability? Maybe it moves faster. He can craft cannons which can be deployed not just on boats, but anywhere which would be very cool then you can insert some cannon balls into the cannon and ignite it and turn the cannon around by interacting with it and moving it around like a steering wheel fire for massive damage!!

He can also start out with a sword and his other stuff like a pirate hat which can find sunken chests, maybe they spawn near you while you're sailing at sea? He'd take half or no damage from drowning because he's a pirate and loves the sea too. They could also add some new items to him which are better stuff for boats like how Wigfrid's battle helm is a direct upgrade to the football helm. So like he could be able to craft better masts, anchor, and steering wheels which can all be more effective than the usual ones maybe even better oars like a pirate oar :wilson_pirate:!

Woodlegs and Wagstaff would be great characters to have in DST they fit very well.

Spoiler

I hope Walani doesn't get in over Woodlegs, she has a boring personality and was one of the most bland characters in DS.. even Wes has more personality than her and he doesn't even talk.

Wagstaff can't really be added without major overhauls, as the only perks of his character that haven't been given away to other characters is the thumper, the telebrella, and the telepad. and the telebrella and telepad are kinda already in the game in a sense with the lazy explorer and desert stones. He'd just be a character used for thumpers and teleporters and would have no real upside other than that. Woodlegs is another character that would suck in dst as Woodlegs loses sanity on land and near it, and he'd be a lunar rusher's dream if he could craft a boat from the start, like wagstaff, I really only see these characters being used for PERMANENT STRUCTURES OF CONVENIENCE like Winona and her catapults. Wagstaff though, unlike woodlegs, is pretty lore relevant, and as other people are saying, he'd likely be saved for some big update when they needed to drive the plot forward. Also, need I remind you that this is a DLC Character and if they were added you'd need to either grind spools, pay money for skins to turn into spools, or buy one of their chests when they come out. sorry guys, don't mean to bog you down, just doubt it.

21 minutes ago, Dragolantis said:

What should they overhaul then?

That's on the devs. They can do as they wish to make him an interesting character.

I was just saying that it's still very possible to make him unique. (I honestly already think he's unique enough, but i understand where people are coming from)

Wormwood and warly are the only ported char I can remember and yes, warly can't eat raw cooked or dried food like he can in SW but that's the only major change before his refresh. Wormwood stayed pretty much the same until RWYS came out, which changed him drastically, but on their initial release, they weren't too different than their DS counterparts

Oh wait, that's just from SW and Hamlet, most of the DS and the char from RoG got added and stayed pretty much the same until their rework, and very few times were the reworks big, main examples for subpar reworks being Wes and Wigfrid.

52 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

You do know what they did with every ported character right?

Archived