Now it is clear why DST problems remain unresolved for a long time.

Now it is clear why DST problems remain unresolved for a long time.

I played "Oxygen not included" and saw that colossal efforts were put into it:
-Each item has complex properties and description -Each building has many more useful properties
-Instead of a dull team, you have 3 + N obedient bots All in all, Oxygen is Dont starve 2.0.
-There, even the required language was immediately without modifications.

If so much power were directed to DST, it would be a different game, similar to Oxygen.

Klei has a lot of great ideas and solutions, but they are being implemented in newer games.

Considering Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together is 8ish years old (2013, DST full release by 2016), Oxygen Not Included is merely a baby compared to it. DS was also built on a custom engine and ONI is made in Unity (Which I believe might be way easier to code/update). It's absolutely clear why ONI gets more attention my friend. Don't Starve Together is done, grown and already have a degree in "fun", close to retiring I might say.

It's unfair to compare them.

IMO, DST and ONI are survival game but having completely different direction for each, both are having great spaces to be developed.

Every single element in ONI has complex attributes, this limited their map size in growth, it is difficult to hold larger map for multiplayer while maintaining great performance at certain server memory, their aiming is more about mechanics between elements, which I'd a lots of fun to tinkering with. It is still potential to have multiplayer mode in future, but some mechanics probably will be changed in order to make it work. 

Meanwhile DST unit is much more simple, interaction between units is not as frequent and complicated as ONI does, therefore it can hold larger open world size, more unique variety of environments, being more scalable.

So far I've heard from some voices that told me, ONI can support multi threads(parallel optimization isn't perfectly good for now) while DST is single thread currently. ONI is developing cloud storage, maybe a scalable size parallel cloud computing centre is possible in future(not cheap and do-able for casual player tho). Well, I think I can clearly see both games having great potents while is challenging in growth for different market, I don't think DST is really entering retire cycle in 5 years.

Actually, DST didn’t come out for Xbox till late 2017- AND it remained mostly unchanged right up until Klei started the Return of Them updates in 2019, we’ve been on a three year expedition & Klei isn’t even half done with updates.

(theres 3 refreshes coming this year out of 7 that still need reworks and that AT MINIMUM.. if they plan to add DS DLC Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff that’s an Additional 6: 13 total unrefreshed characters)

DST isn’t “Dying” it’s probably insulting to Klei to hear anyone say that: They’ve changed this game significantly over the past 2-3 years, and they plan to continue to do so.

I just hope it doesn’t take 10 years to reach the conclusion of reworks & return of them updates :( 

11 hours ago, Kur0u said:

Don't Starve Together is done, grown and already have a degree in "fun", close to retiring I might say.

Not completely disagreeing with you, but what makes you think this? Klei has already made it clear that they are going to rework all the characters, they also have to finish Return of Them, and after that, you just assume its over? Perhaps that will be the case, but I would like to hope for more.

4 hours ago, thegreatJash said:

Not completely disagreeing with you, but what makes you think this? Klei has already made it clear that they are going to rework all the characters, they also have to finish Return of Them, and after that, you just assume its over? Perhaps that will be the case, but I would like to hope for more.

Well, yes. To be completely clear, I didn't say dst is dying like @__IvoCZE__ mentioned (People tend to twist and turn whatever you say to fit their argument like no tomorrow here). And by retiring I mean after all new content completely stops being created. Klei is still working to keep the community alive with reworks, refreshes, qol updates, skins, new characters and promise of a big update because it still brings in money, and that takes time to develop, hence another year or two of life for dst. They retired Don't Starve and that game is still being played, it didn't die. Why would a game die after retiring? The same will happen to DST eventually and Klei will move on to newer games. It's just logical thinking.

Archived