Ore production?

Still no ore production planned? I mean steel is better than nothing but a kinda volcano for all your metal needs seem blant. How about some high power guzzling quarry?

Or maybe randomly appearing asteroids you can fly to mine and get back.

I feel like we have 3 possibilities on how would we get renewable ore back:

1. Regular meteor showers are back - RIP free solar power, welcome back good old ore from the sky. Personally, I'd rather go without ore than with this one, but it is the easiest solution to introduce into the game.
  2. Dedicated moonlet with meteor showers/some late game planetoids get meteor showers - more interesting variation. We still keep some planetoids where solar panel arrays work, and have more complicated ones where we get all meteor-related problems back, in addition to all space logistics we currently have to deal with. But those complicated planetoids get renewable ore as an additional reward. The issue with this one is reliable separation between worlds. Devs have to make sure that regolith, debris flying from impact and hot CO2 from meteor trails can't pass planetoid border and get to other ones.
  3. Nuclear transformation. Transforming elements with nuclear fusion/splitting atoms has happened IRL, so "Transmutation Reactor" could be a cool feature for nuclear-themed DLC. However, I don't remember anybody mentioned something like that in data mining threads (I don't check those often, so I easily can be missing this info), so if this option is the case, it can be deeply in WIP state. Also, it would tie ore production to other element production, likely regular volcanoes (bombarding rocks with particles until they turn into unrefined metals sounds fitting). In that case, it could be viewed as getting ores from volcanoes with extra steps. As it was mentioned, it sounds a bit bland.
6 hours ago, cpy said:

How about some high power guzzling quarry

I feel like mines and quarries would be good as standalone content pack/expansion, both for DLC and base game.

Edit:

On the side note, those solutions could also include some other non-renewable things, like diamond, lead or newly added graphite.

6 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I`d love some sort of mechanic tied to the rust biome allowing you to create extra rust. Best it be a critter that replaces the squeaky puft that doesn`t fit there really.

personally i think a rust drecko would make the most sense, regrows scales in chlorine instead of hydrogen.
Probably eats salt, maybe nosh beans

Meteor shower deprived me of the motivation to develop the space biome in the base game.
At least it should not occur on the first three planetoids in Ideal difficulty.

By the way, research reactor taught us that "meteors" do not have to fall from the sky.
I wish for some sort of volcano shooting metal meteors.

Or maybe meteor laser that shoots down asteroids. We have lot of power and not many uses for it.

Power setting:

5kW - regolith only, no risk to buildings

10kW - random ores appear too may damage ladders

20kW - iron cores of asteroids get caught up too! Explosions ensue better have bunkers ready

40kW - everything is a fair game, chance for artifacts

6 hours ago, cpy said:

Or maybe meteor laser that shoots down asteroids. We have lot of power and not many uses for it.

Power setting:

5kW - regolith only, no risk to buildings

10kW - random ores appear too may damage ladders

20kW - iron cores of asteroids get caught up too! Explosions ensue better have bunkers ready

40kW - everything is a fair game, chance for artifacts

Like a space laser powered by radbolts?

10 hours ago, Bluefoxfire said:

Like a space laser powered by radbolts?

Hell no, you get free radbolts from space, maybe both?

I guess it would be better to mine things by supplying J instead of constant power.

Like transit tubes but way way way WAAAAY more power hungry.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:43 PM, Meltdown said:

Dedicated moonlet with meteor showers/some late game planetoids get meteor showers - more interesting variation. We still keep some planetoids where solar panel arrays work, and have more complicated ones where we get all meteor-related problems back, in addition to all space logistics we currently have to deal with. But those complicated planetoids get renewable ore as an additional reward. The issue with this one is reliable separation between worlds. Devs have to make sure that regolith, debris flying from impact and hot CO2 from meteor trails can't pass planetoid border and get to other ones.

that would be cool, especially with a meteor cluster moonlet or something similar

7 hours ago, cpy said:

Hell no, you get free radbolts from space, maybe both?

I guess it would be better to mine things by supplying J instead of constant power.

Like transit tubes but way way way WAAAAY more power hungry.

Depends how much radbolts you`d need. If you`d need to fill the entire surface with radbolt generators then it would require a better radiation source. Using both power and radolbts might work with proper balancing.

On 3/17/2021 at 5:24 PM, Sasza22 said:

Depends how much radbolts you`d need. If you`d need to fill the entire surface with radbolt generators then it would require a better radiation source. Using both power and radolbts might work with proper balancing.

Why not both? I mean we got to get some high end tools at some point right? We have 50kW cables, let's give them a good reason to exist. Oh and nuclear reactors too, high power high radbolt hell yea boi!

On 3/17/2021 at 7:24 PM, Sasza22 said:

Using both power and radolbts might work with proper balancing.

I think it would be interesting to have "inderect" power requirement in form of having to produce radbolts. More efficient radbolt production means less total power required.  

On 3/17/2021 at 2:31 AM, suggestedone9 said:

that would be cool, especially with a meteor cluster moonlet or something similar

Another way to do this would be to have asteroid clusters on the space map.  When a rocket with an Asteroid Harvester module is on the same tile as an asteroid cloud, the rocket mines materials until the cargo bay is full.

2 minutes ago, Pyrex042 said:

Another way to do this would be to have asteroid clusters on the space map.  When a rocket with an Asteroid Harvester module is on the same tile as an asteroid cloud, the rocket mines materials until the cargo bay is full.

I think it'd be great to have things like that to fill some of the empty space tiles.

It would also provide a good on-going use for the telescope.  Asteroid swarms could come-and-go and you would need to analyze them.

You analyze the cluster, see that it will be there for 30 cycles, is 50% Regolith, 20% Gold Amalgam, 15% Ice and 15% Polluted Ice (for example).  You then set filters on your Harvester module, and it takes time to mine based on the percentages available.

Archived