A few suggestions before the new DLC releases

I played the DLC up to the last world gen update. I really enjoyed it so far. Was it perfect? No. But I already got much more value than what I paid for.

The DLC is a great foundation and opens a door for many more expansions and improvements. 

Space exploration is an excellent addition to the game. It needs lots of polishing, and I agree that rocket systems are a bit grindy. 

Here are few suggestions:

• More energy sinks are needed. We have so much energy and no place to use them. In my playthrough, I didn't need any power other than the solar from the start. 
  • Adding more critters, trees, flowers, creepers :). They are super fun and adding much more life to the game.
  • Adding more skins and personalization for the dupes. I do not look at ONI like it is Factorio or a sim game. I do not look at dupes as robots and like to see them happy. 
  • The radiation systems were a request from a vocal group in ONI forums (not me tho). We may need to find a use for nuclear power.  
  • Bring the diseases back pls.
  • The rocket interior and the fittings need a bit of attention. Adding one additional module to all rockets seems like an easy improvement.
  • This one is personal: I like to see more mystery(even life) in the planetoids or even in space. Maybe we can build a space station to reach some distant planetoids.
  • End game goals. The game is an open sandbox right now without any end-game goal. 
  • Wireless automation systems.
  • Plug slug diet change. It is not feeling good to feed them metal or keeping them hungry.
  •  
  • The last one is out of the DLC scope, and it is personal as well: I would have really enjoyed seeing an alien race in space. We could have soldier dupes (all dupes already have guns), and we could have some advanced rockets to attack the aliens. We also can have some advanced defense systems to defend the surface.

Please feel free to share your list.

image.thumb.png.b496947ca204c64533baa66d1266825f.png

Personally I feel like the swamp asteroid needs some work on the biomes around it, The caustic biome being there feels like a place holder tbh without dreckos and since we have different starting resources which forces us to build without algae and coal it feels just tossed in there, and I've always wanted there to be a critter in the ice biome.
I also wonder if after radiation the late game will be being able to build our own teleporters like the ones they give us. I feel like those could chew through our excess energy production.

I think the caustic additions on the swampy start are there to give us access to the little bit of chlorine and bleach stone, and the balm lilly that we can use as a seed source for pacu. That's a rather extended version of it, but there are no caustic biomes on the teleport planet from a swampy start, so dreckos are a rocket trip away.

It's the giant granite biome that's rather bland and useless. It's an understandable buffer for the magma...maybe.

-

Plug slugs are nice, it would be nice to have alternative diets for them in their tame state.

-

1 hour ago, crbd115 said:

and I've always wanted there to be a critter in the ice biome

Yes. I always try to dig as little as possible and save the wildlife in different biomes. That would be nice to see a new critter in the ice biome that may help us with heat management in these hot planetoids. Our only answers, for now, are steam turbines and Wheezeworts. 

1 hour ago, crbd115 said:

I also wonder if after radiation the late game will be being able to build our own teleporters like the ones they give us.

I think they already have a plan for this. I saw a data mining post about it. Not sure though. 

12 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

we can use as a seed source for pacu

In the DLC pacus are super easy to farm using seeds. Most of my food after the mid-game were the cooked fishes. Maybe they need to nerf it a little bit.

2 hours ago, babba said:

BIG MAP

In the current version, the optimal number for dupes is 10 ± 2.

Six dupes are more than enough for starting planetoids, so I guess  players like you who prefer having many dupes won't enjoy the DLC as much.

2 minutes ago, evilcat19xx said:

In the DLC pacus are super easy to farm using seeds. Most of my food after the mid-game were the cooked fishes. Maybe they need to nerf it a little bit.

I had a hard time starting a farm on a recent map, it seems like they stabilize or die off sooner thab nornal, so, I should have paid more attention to them but yes, they're super virile when they're tame and you're constantly keeping them happy, but this is the case with most critters.

I have a huge population of wild sweetles, its almost an infestation ..but they live longer and are less needy, so a feeder here or there and they make sucrose, etc. Fish don't give much of anything on a seed diet and they obliterate an algae source. If anything, the Pacu go well with the pokeshells, but still, with the anger management the roe has to be taken out or they go hostile on everything, fish included - kind of funny really.

Feeling cute, might turn em loose on my plug slugs. 

10 hours ago, babba said:

BIG MAPimage.png.60a9e250e311940d0cfb89f3ff241203.png

I've got you covered, patience my friend.  I'm still working on the design of it, but... soon.  Also, on my own asteroids there will be at least 1 completely random geyser.  Yes, there's a 4% chance you could get a Niobium volcano right next to your home base.  Excavate with caution.  Asteroid layout is much more random.  I may follow this up with a smaller cluster of only 3-4 large asteroids. 

I'm open to suggestions.  How big is big?  256x384 (base game standard size)?  Klei has made a lot of fixes to world gen that this is now feasible.  Previously there were problems with visual artifacts in space and all kinds of other problems.  It's gotten a lot better since the Resin update.  I'm trying to push things as much as possible without completely killing your frame rate.

A Klei implemented player pc performance dlc compromise for "Base Game Terra Fans" could be the same amount of geysers, metal volcanoes, spawn type variety, lots of renewables +regolith/metal in the dlc easy starter worlds... Either as player option or by default :-P

However, a base game size map as starter would satisfy those base game happy fans greatly + world generation option to deactivate the teleporter spawn. @Ipsquiggle

All of the described would make the dlc a true game expansion, the best of both worlds.

11 hours ago, evilcat19xx said:

More energy sinks are needed. We have so much energy and no place to use them. In my playthrough, I didn't need any power other than the solar from the start. 

You're asking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.  If covering the space biome with solar panels creates an excess of power generation, you can simply opt not to do so.  Building only what you need saves you time, space, and resources.  The space aspect is key for me; if I can get more power out of a single petroleum generator than three coal generators, I'm not going to build the coal generators unless I have to.

1 hour ago, babba said:

A Klei implemented player pc performance dlc compromise for "Base Game Terra Fans" could be the same amount of geysers, metal volcanoes, spawn type variety, lots of renewables +regolith/metal in the dlc easy starter worlds... Either as player option or by default :-P

However, a base game size map as starter would satisfy those base game happy fans greatly + world generation option to deactivate the teleporter spawn. @Ipsquiggle

All of the described would make the dlc a true game expansion, the best of both worlds.

I can do most of this.  You want base game Terra as your start?  No problem.  I can leave all the other space stuff untouched.  I don't think meteor showers will work, though.  For starters, there's no space scanner.  But I can give you most of what you're asking for.  The stuff I've been working on... is really just things that I want.  Klei has their vision for what this DLC should be, and it's fantastic.  However, the joy of modding is making things that only appeal to a smaller subset of gamers.  Give me a couple of days, I'll see what I can do.

Other than bugfixes and making resource transport between planetoids less tedious i can make a whole wishilst (and i made a few before):

• Morphs for critters that don`t have any:
    - Plug slug morphs eating different things, refined metals, nuclear waste/depleted uranium, rust (t-rusty slug)
    - Pip morphs based on temperature which would modify arbor tress to a corsponding variant with different temperature ranges
    - Pokeshell morphs based on how much time they spend in water, different molts crushable for algae or diamond
    - Flying sweetles to tend arbor tree branches and hanging plants
  • New critter for the rust biome (the squeaky puft is out of place there). Eats refined metals, poops ore and rust. Agressive towards dupes. Has a poisonous attack and requires an antivenom from the apothecary.
  • Pokeshells molting more than once per lifecycle and their AI fixed so they actually attack when they should.
  • More robots. An actual rechargable rover for in base operations, programmable for specific tasks.
  • Allow us to wrangle slicksters and airborne critters at ranching lvl 2 skill so we don`t need to put down a dropoff for that. Oh and flopping pacu as well.
  • Gassy moo milk - Gassy milk. Lets make a cake.
  • More insulative materials. A mid tier material for structures like metal smelter and glass forge (why are we building those out of rock?).
  • More alloys as alternative to steel.
  • Useful/interesting PoIs on distant planets. Like an abandon launchpad that is covered in regolith but can be used to land after it gets cleared. Destroyed/molten reactor on the radiated planetoid.
  • Return of artifacts. Findable in lockers early on or as buried objects in harder biomes (hatch skeleton among fossils).

I`ll better finish now before it gets too long.

2 hours ago, goboking said:

You're asking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

Since the solar power solution is dominant (free, and no thermal pollution) in comparison to the other power generation methods (natural gas, coal, and petroleum generators), I do not need to use any of them. In every planetoid, you build a few solar panels and then you are good to go. Meteor showers may can help with this issue.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

i can make a whole wishilst (and i made a few before):

So many great ideas. I agree with all of them. I hope a developer can see this.

24 minutes ago, evilcat19xx said:

Since the solar power solution is dominant (free, and no thermal pollution) in comparison to the other power generation methods (natural gas, coal, and petroleum generators), I do not need to use any of them. In every planetoid, you build a few solar panels and then you are good to go. Meteor showers may can help with this issue.

Maybe they haven't added meteors back in yet because they're changing them, or they temporarily turned them off so people could easily launch rockets and test the systems, I don't think solar panels being like this will be in the final game.

3 hours ago, babba said:

I'm essentially done with this (wasn't much work, just a few tweaks so that it works with the world generation changes that have been made).  The swamp/standstone starting asteroids are moved out to ring 3.  In essence, everything that Klei has made is still there, you just get base game Terra as your starting point.  I'll upload it to Steam workshop when I get home from work.

Big question: right now it generates 12 completely random geysers.  Should I leave this as is, or should I exclude a few of them (i.e., niobium, tungsten)?  I'm personally fond of randomness, but whatever floats your boat.

Performance shouldn't be terrible if you have decent hardware, certainly not until you've explored a few remote asteroids.  If you want to run with 100 dupes, well, that's on you.

33 minutes ago, NewWorldDan said:

I'm essentially done with this (wasn't much work, just a few tweaks so that it works with the world generation changes that have been made).  The swamp/standstone starting asteroids are moved out to ring 3.  In essence, everything that Klei has made is still there, you just get base game Terra as your starting point.  I'll upload it to Steam workshop when I get home from work.

Big question: right now it generates 12 completely random geysers.  Should I leave this as is, or should I exclude a few of them (i.e., niobium, tungsten)?  I'm personally fond of randomness, but whatever floats your boat.

Performance shouldn't be terrible if you have decent hardware, certainly not until you've explored a few remote asteroids.  If you want to run with 100 dupes, well, that's on you.

This sounds great, Dan :p If you can paste steam links at some point for everyone here, that would be great :encouragement:

Maybe 1 version a la base game Terra basic (metals/fluids) renewables and 1 mod version/options with advance metal spawn sources and otherwise advanced materials/fluids renewable spawns :confused:

Also regular regolith coming down with raining metals option ( if possible ), that`l be ace.

For base builders who want to support lots of dupes...Several water renewables are good and people also can love lots of starting ice to mine  :p

Please also include or add 2x -10 Celsius Slush Geysers + AETN, to enable player ice factory creation and perhaps create more versions/options for frozen core and/or magma world ( both, frozen core+magma fields in the same big starter map would be great ) + option or versions with disabled(not spawned) teleporter :rolleyes:

Plants to start suit manufacturing would also be great.

For Oil Tycoon starters, its also welcome to have additional and lots of oil renewables +  some normal volcano(es) for steam engine room builders. 10-20 Poke Shells ( steel) for instant slaughters or creature taming players would be superb.

DLC+BASE GAME = :cheerful:

As hazard(options) perhaps add some leaking nuclear waste fields or crashed radiated spacecraft salvage - Some similar starting map challenge and hazard options would be ++++++

2 hours ago, evilcat19xx said:

We don't need to do a lot of what we do in this game, but we do so anyway because the challenge of engineering sustainable production chains is half the fun.

1 hour ago, babba said:

This sounds great, Dan :p If you can paste steam links at some point for everyone here, that would be great :encouragement:

Maybe 1 version a la base game Terra basic (metals/fluids) renewables and 1 mod version/options with advance metal spawn sources and otherwise advanced materials/fluids renewable spawns :confused:

Also regular regolith coming down with raining metals option ( if possible ), that`l be ace.

For base builders who want to support lots of dupes...Several water renewables are good and people also can love lots of starting ice to mine  :p

Please also include or add 2x -10 Celsius Slush Geysers + AETN, to enable player ice factory creation and perhaps create more versions/options for frozen core and/or magma world ( both, frozen core+magma fields in the same big starter map would be great ) + option or versions with disabled(not spawned) teleporter :rolleyes:

Plants to start suit manufacturing would also be great.

For Oil Tycoon starters, its also welcome to have additional and lots of oil renewables +  some normal volcano(es) for steam engine room builders. 10-20 Poke Shells ( steel) for instant slaughters or creature taming players would be superb.

DLC+BASE GAME = :cheerful:

As hazard(options) perhaps add some leaking nuclear waste fields or crashed radiated spacecraft salvage - Some similar starting map challenge and hazard options would be ++++++

getout.gif.af15ebaa7d2d87c4a9334e4994f1231f.gif

1 hour ago, NewWorldDan said:

This would be a huge improvement to DLC for me.  I haven't been playing much because the DLC feels to structured and I can't build a nice home base.  Would be very interested in your mod @NewWorldDan

2 hours ago, goboking said:

but we do so anyway because the challenge of engineering sustainable production chains is half the fun.

It does not make sense to generate more power and produce more pollution when there is no need for it.
I know there are a group of Oni players that enjoy creating different contraptions for no particular reason. It is like playing Minecraft in creative mode or any other sandbox mode for similar games.

Not my thing though. Whenever I try to present the game to my friends, they are asking what is the goal of the game? and right now, we do not have any answer for that. In the early game it is survival but after that there is no end game objective. 

34 minutes ago, evilcat19xx said:

It does not make sense to generate more power and produce more pollution when there is no need for it.

ONi is a flexible game, offering a wide variety of play style choices - IMHO only the specific player can know what makes sense or not. :p

Once there was a big religious convention in a hotel and as I just woke up I was in exploration mood. I visited that big gathering randomly with a croissant and hot coffee in my hand.

One of the soul collectors there believed I wanted to join their religion as we nicely sat together at the breakfast table for 1 hour. After telling him a dozen times that techno music was my religion in teenage years...he didn`t get it. My motivation is often to just talk to random people, as humanist. He was used to his experienced behavior of convincing sheep, coming to him to join. Looking over his shoulder I had such a nice view of the beach, the seafront and a fat seagull munching away on grabbed french fries from tourists and I was thinking of the best religious PulpFiction phrases and scenes from ForretGump. I enjoyed the morning a lot, but I saw in his eyes that he was disappointed failing to recruit someone, he spent so much convincing effort on.

We had completely different intentions and motivations.

image.png.7ba64ab96a16987079a5f68b9e843417.pngimage.thumb.png.b3312158a8ee514aba4ce004f94917e5.png

On reflection, I'm going to simplify things.  I'll update this again tonight.  Adding some bits of wasteland to the fringes of Terra, adding the teleporters, and getting rid of the DLC sandstone starting asteroid.  You'll be able to teleport to the swamp same as you would with the DLC sandstone start.

Also of note: this giant world gen tends to put some visual artifacts in space above various asteroids, but I don't think that actually affects play.  

Archived