Why do Wheezewort emmit radiation?

I understand space radiation.

I can imagine why little flying sun bugs emmit radiation like the sun they want to imitate.

But why Wheezeworts...?

I don't get it... Neither from flavor point of view (why would cooling plants emmit it...?) nor from game balance standpoint - they are already super cool magical plants that do very unique heat stuff - why to give them more magical and unique powers? I got nothing against radiation plants, but it feels wrong for me - there could be some Sunflower plant (like modded Fervine...?) that could do the radiation thing. That would make the game more enriched, with more cool stuff, not only one magical wheezewort that has all strange powers that don't fit other plants

The worts absorb eneregy as heat but where does it go? They might reemit is as radiation which makes them less magic (just a bit less).

Another thing is balance. Those things had almost no downside for free cooling (except using highly renewable phosphorite). Now they have one. One that can also be used as an upside when creating HEPs. Makes the thing more interesting imo.

I'd consider it lazy on part of designer crew if the wheezies got repurposed this way... Sadly enough, it seems this game item was long overdue for some care and all it gets is the swiss army knife treatment this time around.

I'll have to test it and see how it pans out before shelling out any further opinion on this.

1 hour ago, JRup said:

I'd consider it lazy on part of designer crew if the wheezies got repurposed this way... Sadly enough, it seems this game item was long overdue for some care and all it gets is the swiss army knife treatment this time around.

Either that or they planned it like that all the way. It had no waste output before, just like shinebugs (unless we count light). Now they got a waste output that`s either terrible waste or more valuable that their original purpose.

4 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Either that or they planned it like that all the way.

I highly doubt the serendipitous planning theory, because based on the in-game db and the internal e-mails' info on wheezeworts it's just a terraforming "critter".

But hey, I guess they can pull a sneaky on us after all.

Just imagine how we should handle cold biomes from now on...

They only emit 40 rad/cycle each at the center, which is not even close to the threshold of being dangerous. Duplicants in the newest build now passively removes 100 rad/cycle on their own.

I would say it's going to be used to power HYEP!(High Ysomething Energy Particles) emitters because it's easy to set up and not very dangerous, while still allowing you to produce a non-neglegible amount of HYEP! when planting a few side by side.

I've been testing this for a bit. A considerable build with our beloved wheezies is yet to come from me. Still, these are some observations:

Pros:

• Wheezies are rad now. (Still debating myself whether to accept this new role. Not that I can stomp my foot on the ground and dictate whatever direction the game will take, but I still concur with OP that a different, new plant could have done the job wonderfully...)
  • Particle collectors generate less heat than what wheezeworts now "collect" and "convert" into HYEPs so there is still some cooling gain even if they're kept together.
  • Particle collectors don't overheat? Good.

Cons:

• Wheezies can make dupes sick now, no hugging allowed. Beware of ice biomes.
  • Pip planting has become risky.
  • Added building effort will be needed to keep the glow inside. (No, not the wrestlers.) Metal tile made of lead is very effective.
  • Wheezeworts still have the non-friendly "consuming vacuum" message. (I shall fight this bitterly.)

Question to Devs regarding the change if they see this:

Is it intended that wild and domesticated wheezeworts generate the same amount of rads/cycle?

1236631175_wheezieradwild.thumb.png.f0a7bc59a110ba4ef7037133aa6a27a1.png381458277_wheezieraddomestic.png.f0dd1fd222d04d03dbf7daa9cac1f883.png

Im playing the Swamp starter biome and I directly saw the nuclear radiation from the Wheezie`s in the overview.

It will give new players a little introduction of seeing "something" radiating at the game start and also may get people thinking "Mhhh, what happens if I have a few or 20 standing together in terms of radiation?".

I still haven`t built a particle generator on my fresh map start, I still don`t dare to ( but I would love too ). First rockets for me on this fresh start...Once I have some pill production, lead and getting the first time in to a wallpaper rocket playing tetris...then :rolleyes:

Or...I soon will have 50 dupes...Maybe I can soon do experiments with the particle generator and dupes :afro: I think I`ll do that :p

I think having the Wheezie`s emitting radiation is a good counter against players bunching 10-100 together in mid and endgame stages. So one needs to consider good radiation protection if piling them together.

@JRup You made me build the particle generator in my new basic colony - I`m doomed :confused:

Its says its like ping pong ! It will be my stone age colony vs ping pong....Wheeeelp !

image.thumb.png.01773b4d825c3f5bb415dc6c41aff624.png

I built it now...Ah it needs to be built at some radioactive source ? I`m in the starter swamp, can I only use the Wheezie`s for now as rad source ? @Sasza22

It seems I can also use space as rad source ? Offf good that Klei hasn`t put the Regolith back in yet :lol:

New attempt as radioactive newbie...Coin has just dropped that I also needs this receiver thing :tranquillity:

If Regolith where back in the game, then it would be more of a challenge to put all this up in space...I still don`t know what will happen and what I`m doing...hehehe, nice.

image.thumb.png.fa7cf3cb145e780a1960d162e984d8b7.png

56 minutes ago, babba said:

I think having the Wheezie`s emitting radiation is a good counter against players bunching 10-100 together in mid and endgame stages. So one needs to consider good radiation protection if piling them together.

I see it more as a counter to pip planting them and a hindrance to spot cooling builds... I haven't seen something as crazy as bunching so many together and either feeding them phosphorite or wild planting, oof, makes one's head spin... At that point I guess an AT setup is less of a hassle and more space efficient.

35 minutes ago, babba said:

@JRup You made me build the particle generator in my new basic colony - I`m doomed :confused:

When particles are shot and crash say against a wall it makes a nice splash effect if you're watching with the rad overlay.

37 minutes ago, babba said:

I`m in the starter swamp, can I only use the Wheezie`s for now as rad source ?

Space is always an option (the only other option AFAIK).

I tried debug and bathing them in "radioactive" nuclear waste and the particle generator started shooting like a fast PVZ pea-shooter (single shot version though).

Many thanks @JRup :p

Its not always for efficiency. Some also play for the "Looks" - Its like with the cactus or many of them, it looks like in a Wild-West-Movie :rolleyes: Its like players putting a sauna in to their rocket, fun fun fun :bee:

image.png.73e8af55c765127a5fa6df33b823a817.png

If the top map space would be currently much harder to play, maybe I would have built a particle generator at the wild wheezie`s in my swamp starter map.

image.thumb.png.c3f5eafd5dcf08dbc1d350c644b650c4.png

1 hour ago, RageLeague said:

I guess the algorithm for wheezewort is different from cosmic radiation? Instead of a parallel radiation, it generates a radial radiation (it's bad, I know), so it obviously needs a different algorithm that they may not have implemented.

It`s probably similar to how natural light works differently from lamps and shinebugs. The latter don`t get reduced by gasses and liquids but get blocked by mesh and airflow tiles while the ntural light in space doesn`t. They might have used the same algorithms here just removed the "blocked by solid tiles" part.

I have no real problem with rad-wheezys, but the actual radius is a bit too much. I do really like to cool some things with them, but with the big radiation radius its not really suitable right now.

So i hope for a mod, that disables radiation wheezys or at least reduce the fallout range to 1 or 2 tiles.

Archived