Should the three lunar alters get exclusive crafting recipes?

Greetings people I don't know but share a hobby with,

Recently I have been thinking about how each of the lunar the lunar alters are really not need currently. While sure we have the duct taped nightlight, we don't have any reason to actually prioritize one alter over the other, which I think is a shame. The reward for killing one of the most focus demanding and resource intensive bosses in the game is on the same level of dragging three heavy rocks to the same place and playing "find the digging place". It makes it feel a bit hollow that you aren't getting rewards that are either on par or worth the amount of effort you put in, a core concept of the game. However, I do have a potential remedy o this solution. Make the different alters have different crafting recipes so that you have a reason to go after one over the others, instead of just choosing the path of least resistance until you finally care enough to actually go for the moth magnet.

The basic premise is that, with exclusive content for each one, each of the alters wouldn't feel like copies of each other and would actually bring some interesting rewards based on what the task you had done to achieve it. First off, the alter that is actually on the Lunar Island, that one is completely fine as is. While most of the things aren't very attractive for certain playstyles, it does provide a verity of rewards that would make the trip acceptable for these crafts. While it isn't over the top, it is easily accessible and provides basic uses for all the materials on the lunar island as well as commemorative goodies for your mainland adventures. The base recipes are good for the Lunar Island Alter as it provides the base for which other recipes could built upon, as well as providing the aesthetic items for those that don't want to stick their necks out for a lunar makeover.

The Treasure Alter (The alter that you have to dig out of the ground like a treasure chest) should have a better quality of goodies. By this point of the game, you have already gone to and survived the ruins, did the moonstone event for the Moon Caller Staff, and deconstructed said staff to gain the Iridescent Gem for the Achieves. By this point, I feel like the rewards should be definitely be more substantial then the Lunar Island one, but would should have unique rewards that would only benefit for doing one of these overly long process with end game items. The idea that I have is that it would give items would be ones centered around mega basing. An example is one that I stole appropriated from Glermz, which may or may not be an idea that was originally for his Twitch Chat, I don't remember about making Lightbulbs from moon glass. This would act identically to the Winter's Feast Festive Lights, allowing for infinite light inside Glowcaps and Mushlights. I only us that as an example as to show the potential for these items to be useful to people, but only that those you have actually taken the steps to reach the content that came before it. I also think essentially having a singular items to have all mega base items as you could use that effort buffer to allow people to feel rewarded for reaching that amount of progress, but also not allowing any new player to randomly stumble upon potentially broken items. As for why the Treasure Alter in specific over the Crab King Alter, it's because I feel that the Crab King should give the biggest reward as it requires the most effort with both getting the pearl and usurping the crustacious ruler. I would also like to mention that it could also allow for the crafting of Grotto and Achieve turfs, as there is no current way to make more and I really love using that turf.

The Crab King Alter, you cracked the pearl, potentially ruined couples despondent happiness, and gotten the special moon rock to appear, so what should its rewards be? While there could be a veritable cornucopia of end game items or structure you could fit into the alter like unmovable resources, mob spawners, or Event Summoning Items, I feel that it could be a good place for character swapping items. While I still maintain the idea that character swapping is unbelievably broken for the balance of the game, I also can't discount how some newer players would feel about finding out that they have to go through such extraordinary lengths just to swap characters as they want to play someone else without losing their world. That is why I offer a sort of compromise, break the celestial Portal each time you would use a sacrificial alter from the celestial orb. In order to repair the portal, you would have to shell out ~20 pieces of moon stones and wait 20 days for construction. It still exists, but it makes just flippantly swapping between character basically nonexistent. Where the Crab King Alter fits into this is that within its specific alter, it would provide a proper sacrificial alter that wouldn't break the portal, thus allowing for the flippant character swap but only after going through the hell that is Crab King. While possible, I feel that the amount of effort that needs to go into killing Crab King should grant a form of game breaking reward.

The point is, I feel that alters have a very high potential for creative items that could give each a reason to exist. However, I could also be talking out of my ass so tell me how you would do it differently, or inform of the utter genius that is the current system. Either way, thanks for reading, and have a nice (insert time here).

Well, they certainly should, but not too gamebreaking.
for you see, crab king is quite easy even with pearl + opal + 7 purple gems, while you're Wolfgang with a dark sword + goatjelly on a wet day.
For other things, yes, I think there should be more recipes moon-related since this is RoT after all, and most of the content is lunar energies.

1 hour ago, Frashaw27 said:

I would also like to mention that it could also allow for the crafting of Grotto and Achieve turfs, as there is no current way to make more and I really love using that turf.

I believe the Grotto turf is already craftable at the current altars, though the archive one isn't.

The Altars will definitely get more (and more powerful) recipes down the line, but they'll probably be locked behind some milestone, like summoning the Mysterious Energy (which looks like it'll be an one and done deal).

I don't really see the point of having each altar give different recipes, besides making players run back and forth between the three to make what they want.

3 hours ago, Baguettes said:

for you see, crab king is quite easy even with pearl + opal + 7 purple gems, while you're Wolfgang with a dark sword + goatjelly on a wet day.
For other things, yes, I think there should be more recipes moon-related since this is RoT after all, and most of the content is lunar energies.

Every boss is easy in that way... klei shouldnt balance rewarda based on a character with x6 damage that shouldnt exist

I think, since every altar is connected if they are placed close, that you should unlock new recipes for all of them based on how much altars you placed (but we must wait to see what klei got for us)

8 hours ago, Baguettes said:

I'm hesitant to scale the HP of future bosses to assume a fully buffed Wolfgang because that will make him the only character qualified to fight solo.

On 2/13/2021 at 2:08 AM, Frashaw27 said:

That is why I offer a sort of compromise, break the celestial Portal each time you would use a sacrificial alter from the celestial orb. In order to repair the portal, you would have to shell out ~20 pieces of moon stones and wait 20 days for construction. It still exists, but it makes just flippantly swapping between character basically nonexistent. Where the Crab King Alter fits into this is that within its specific alter, it would provide a proper sacrificial alter that wouldn't break the portal, thus allowing for the flippant character swap but only after going through the hell that is Crab King. While possible, I feel that the amount of effort that needs to go into killing Crab King should grant a form of game breaking reward.

All this would do is make character swapping inaccessible for the average player while making it into a simple task that a pro player is more than capable of. Balancing character swapping by making it require a specific boss to affordably do would be a change in the same vein of all the people who wanted Winona catapults to take frazzled wires, it would do absolutely nothing to pro players while taking away a fun tool from less skilled ones... or heck, even just people who don't like killing bosses. Why should someone have to go out and kill a massive raid boss for something like swapping characters, if they aren't even using those characters for bosses in the first place? You can play this game by engaging with none of the bosses except Deerclops, and I personally lean towards that when I play.

6 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

You can play this game by engaging with none of the bosses except Deerclops, and I personally lean towards that when I play.

Hell, you don't even need to engage Deeeclops either (except you should because eyebrella is that good)

But if you play like me and make a boat base and such and just sail around the world, you would never have to deal with hounds, bosses, or any of those events

Archived