How do you all deal with save lag?

By "save lag" I mean those 3 (or so) seconds that happen every time the game auto-saves (new day) during which you cant interact with anything.

Most of the time its just a minor annoyance. It does become a problem when you have, for example, an entire hound wave behind you. It has happened quite a few times that Im running away, morning hits and everything pauses. Then it resumes with me rubberbanding back into the hounds and causing me a painful and frustrating death.

Might be a (dedicated) server limitation, might be because of distance between my friend and I, there may even be a mod that helps against this very specific situation. Any suggestions?

21 minutes ago, Maybe a dog said:

Might be a (dedicated) server limitation, might be because of distance between my friend and I, there may even be a mod that helps against this very specific situation. Any suggestions?

While indeed is more troublesome when is not your server/PC, it also represents a problem for personal rooms. Morning hits and same 2-3s your character stays still while all rest of them mobs are free to pommel you to death. From my experience best course of action is to always account for morning saves and try to be out of any danger when respective save happens.

Also perhaps someone with programming knowledge can propose more advanced measures in following replies.

Just now, Maybe a dog said:

Unfortunately, I have to. We have an entire ocean between us. If I had to play without it, Id choose to not play at all. Not an option.

Manually resync yourself by holding still for several seconds after the save lag is done.

17 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

This freeze happens serverwide, and other creatures are just as frozen as you are.

Then why the mobs hit me while I stand still if engaged into battle?

I repeat: this is for my own server on my PC, not for dedicated pubs where one can blame a considerable delay input from Lag Compensation: On.

Likewise: hasn't KLei thought of some counter-measure to this issue? Is not the first time it was brought up.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I never experience it. The position that shows the game might be wrong but they dont move

If not i would always die for terror beaks because of their speed

You never experiencing it doesn't mean others don't. Case in point, I do; once more, on my own computer/personal server.

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Manually resync yourself by holding still for several seconds after the save lag is done.

Problem is, Im not intentionally moving my character by then. Im running away, then save time hits, (presumably) server thinks Im still running forward (while Im completely unable to move), then my position resyncs and that rubberbands me back a few metres, making me lose distance from hounds (or whatever threat Im fleeing from). Since by that point Im within the hounds' attack range, I get mauled.

The only thing I can think of is not moving before it saves. But if I dont run before it saves, then I get mauled as well. So, its a lose-lose situation.

3 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

You never experiencing it doesn't mean others don't. Case in point, I do; once more, on my own computer/personal server.

That you think you experience it doesnt mean it happen because the subjetive vision of a fast event isnt as accurate as the knowledge of a dev telling you how it works

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

That you think you experience it doesnt mean it happen because the subjetive vision of a fast event isnt as accurate as the knowledge of a dev telling you how it works

I am not contesting mobs aren't frozen as well. What am pointing at is they get me first after save before I am able to continue running even if I keep pressing (naturally) the current move button (left, right, etc). On my personal server. That's my problem. I understand for dedicated, >50-70 ping a.s.o. servers. For those, basically c'est la vie if not accepting "Lag Compensation: Off". Better account for the issue and be out of potential harm's way by a comfortable margin. But again: on my personal server in morning mobs chase me and when server saves, I get punched, bitten etc. Is not my "subjective vision" when am getting damage. 'till now I took it as a game intrinsic hiccup and by the gods, when is a matter of "DST hiccups", Bug Tracker's full of them. Yet now is a good chance to address it, as OP made a topic related to "Morning Save mechanic problem".

1 hour ago, Maybe a dog said:

Problem is, Im not intentionally moving my character by then. Im running away, then save time hits, (presumably) server thinks Im still running forward (while Im completely unable to move), then my position resyncs and that rubberbands me back a few metres, making me lose distance from hounds (or whatever threat Im fleeing from). Since by that point Im within the hounds' attack range, I get mauled.

The only thing I can think of is not moving before it saves. But if I dont run before it saves, then I get mauled as well. So, its a lose-lose situation.

Obviously not an ideal solution, but maybe you could toggle lag compensation for that? I believe several mods include a keybind toggle (Advanced Controls?)

7 hours ago, Crestwave said:

Obviously not an ideal solution, but maybe you could toggle lag compensation for that? I believe several mods include a keybind toggle (Advanced Controls?)

Ill look into that. It happens to be one of the mods I constantly use, never looked that deep into the settings. Thanks.

Archived