The Most Useless Innovations

Hello friends,

do you still remember when you just started to immerse yourself into ONI? Every idea could turn easily into a mega project that kept you busy for many hours. For me often the final insight was, that my build was doing something fairly simple, but in an incredibly complicated way. That hasn't stopped me to this day from passionately creating useless stuff. What are your most (beloved) useless innovations?

I'll start with:

The Dirt-Dropper

XekR8m4.gif

Should look cool and produce clean oxygen, while polluted dirt is off-gassing. There was an incident, whan some liquid got inside. Sealed it afterwards.

Thanks for your attention!

Kind regards

I never actually built them out, but I've thought of an igneous rock un-crusher and pee-to-rock-inator.

The igneous rock un-crusher does sand->molten glass->rock gas->magma->igneous rock, essentially reversing what the rock crusher does.

The pee-to-rock-inator makes the pee offgas, then use pufts to produce slime. then, it will do slime->dirt->sand->glass->molten glass->rock gas->magma->igneous rock. Imagine standing on a tile made of 100% recycled pee.

6 hours ago, he77789 said:

The igneous rock un-crusher does sand->molten glass->rock gas->magma->igneous rock, essentially reversing what the rock crusher does.

You mean like this? :)

6 hours ago, he77789 said:

The pee-to-rock-inator makes the pee offgas, then use pufts to produce slime. then, it will do slime->dirt->sand->glass->molten glass->rock gas->magma->igneous rock

An alternate route I've played with some in debug is pwater -> pO2 -> O2 -> Oxyilite -> magma -> igneous rock

I show you my love pet project @MooChiChi
The Automated Algae Terrarium

Automating everything terrible out of the Algae terrarium and enjoying the best water to air solution with zero effort.

This is an old picture, ill make it again in the DLC and show you.

2020-01-13_203534.jpg

8 minutes ago, Emeal said:

I show you my love pet project @MooChiChi
The Automated Algae Terrarium

Automating everything terrible out of the Algae terrarium and enjoying the best water to air solution with zero effort.

This is an old picture, ill make it again in the DLC and show you.

2020-01-13_203534.jpg

Who needs a rodriguez when you can get this beauty? :-D

I made an airlock.

Yes, an actual airlock.

It's almost too slow for dupes to pass through with a breathable gas on each side, and atmosuits negate the sopping wet debuff of waterlocks.

And this was before oxygen masks.

(Although I then released this version that sorta solved one of those problems, and has a mod-required version that I'd actually happily use.)

The abandoned AETN

AETNattempt1.jpg

The idea: AETN chills the surrounding (20 kg) hydrogen. Petroleum gets chilled via radiant pipes through the hydrogen, while the crude oil pit gets chilled by the petroleum loop. All this, to cool the oxygen from an 1x electrolyzer SPOM.

Even if it did it's job in principle, it was absolutely not worth the effort. Finally, I left the build to itself - without cutting off the hydrogen supply.

The slightly overdone AETN setup

Since I already had experience how to set up an exaggerated 1x electrolyzer SPOM in combination with the glorious AETN, the next logical step was... a 2x electrolyzer SPOM.

AETNattempt21.jpg

AETNattempt22.jpg

AETNattempt23.jpg

AETNattempt24.jpg

This wonderful monster basically did also it's job. The (alleged smart) automation caused regularly oxygen to get into the hydrogen pipes (as can be seen in the gas overlay). Even if it was a fun experience for me to develop this design, my advice is: not worth the effort. Keep your SPOM simple and don't waste time and resources on extraordinary things.

There was this water boiler I had that almost ran entirely on compost heaps. It took a long time to reach get to the needed temp, but it was rather stable and consistent when it did.

In case anyone asks how to keep the heat from escaping, there was one entrance/exit and it had visco gel.

Archived