Is infinite geyser storage possible?

After hijacking another thread with @JRup, I'm bringing this up as it's own topic.

Is it possible to create passive infinite storage for a gas geyser?  I specify gas geysers since liquid geysers can be accomplished with an escher waterfall compressor.

As far as I can tell there's no way to keep a gas geyser from eventually becoming overpressurized without actively removing the gas in some way (gas pump, or bead pump).

My investigations so far have yielded the following algorithm that geysers seem to follow when emitting gas:

1. Check the  "tile of interest" (1 over and 2 up from leftmost neutronium).  If this mass is more than 5kg, or any solid. Report "overpressure" and quit.

2. Check the TOI and the 4 adjacent tiles.  If all non-solid tiles have more than 5kg of mass in them, report "overpressure" and quit.

3. If any of the TOI and adjacent tiles have the emitted element in them, select a random one with less than 5kg of mass and add the appropriate amount of mass to it.  If all tiles of the emitted element are above 5kg of pressure quit (but don't report over pressure)

4. (Since there are no tiles of the emitted element) select a gas tile (not liquid) with less than 5kg  of mass in the TOI or 4 adjacent tiles and merge the gas tile into a tile adjacent to it with the same element. Emit the appropriate amount into the emptied tile. If no gas tile with 5kg or less can be merged quit.

The behavior when the algorithm fails in 3. or 4.  is interesting. The geyser will continue to say "emitting X g/s" and the animation will continue, but it won't actually produce anything.

I've had positive results with natural gas and chlorine vents. They will indeed keep producing without stifling due to overpressure. The only catch is to keep the TOI free from its native gas, as in any gas will do besides what it produces.

So basically the separation / layering of gases for these is rather trivial with a downwards route for the wanted product.

I'm currently working on a 6kg/s steam vent to see how such a setup would work for gases that need to be skimmed off the top. Debug did spawn it dormant so now I'm "waiting"

I would like to specify that this kind of setup can't provide an infinite storage for geysers. What it actually does is cheat the 5kg ambient overpressure rule that they have and gives a chance to create a somewhat simpler build to handle most if not all the material coming from generous geysers.

Here's the build, and the save file ... 6kg/s Cool steam vent has been effectively Cheezed.

700220290_andrising.thumb.png.694e6d5d6837205a3d733a7df82274ad.png

Steam Vent Cheesed.sav

7 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

I specify gas geysers since liquid geysers can be accomplished with an escher waterfall compressor.

I take this to mean an escher waterfall is considered passive. In that case, yes.
dT3a1KRBO1.thumb.gif.d313d168c1d6991ece9030f0444e0dee.gif

I measure less than 0.1% loss after 2 eruptions. (A minimal sized room lost 13%.)

3 hours ago, nakomaru said:

I take this to mean an escher waterfall is considered passive. In that case, yes.

Maybe read the OP???

7 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

As far as I can tell there's no way to keep a gas geyser from eventually becoming overpressurized without actively removing the gas in some way (gas pump, or bead pump).

Indeed, I did read that. However, the OP also appears to consider an escher waterfall to be passive.

If the OP has only considered supplying the bypass pump with liquid via a powered liquid pump, that might be why they disqualify it as active. In such case I have suggested the above.

3 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Indeed, I did read that. However, the OP also appears to consider an escher waterfall to be passive.

If the OP has only considered supplying the bypass pump with liquid via a powered liquid pump, that might be why they disqualify it as active. In such case I have suggested the above.

I am aware of the build. It's admittedly pretty subjective, but I was mentally classifying the waterfall compressor as passive and the bead pump portion as active.  I suppose because the bead pump is using an external source of "power" (compressed liquid). Even if the "power source" (the waterfall compressor) doesn't take any inputs or electricity.

I was hoping for something more along the lines of how you can overpressurize a gas vent. Some self reseting small arrangement of gas/liquid tiles that would allow the vent to keep producing. But, since I'm pretty sure that's not possible, the escher waterfall/bead pump and door compressors are pretty good power free runner-ups.

Archived