Let's raise an army of rovers!(game breaking mechanic)

The rovers are broken. They are dupes; only they are better. Here is how to use them to break the game:

• Step 1. Build a rocket in your main base
  • Step 2. Add a rover to the rocket (after the first rover deployed, they even help with this step)
  • Step 3. Send it to the orbit of your current planetoid  
  • Step 4. Deploy the rover to your main base 
  • Step 5. Repeat  from step 2 until you have your army of rovers (the more, the better but 5,6 is more than enough) 

Result: Free super-efficient workforce for your base, good for almost everything, no concern about their stress levels or oxygen requirements, they already have exo-suits.

In my view, the DLC(early access) in the current state is broken. Just build the solar panels right form the start (needs around 20 turns), and you never need any other source of power (as a result, there is no need for hatch farm, oil, or natural gas). Then build your glass forge, and then your first rocket to raise your army of rovers. 
In less than 70 turns, you are done with the game. 

This is game-breaking. Even the "exo-suits" are not needed anymore since rovers are doing most of the works. 
Here is a picture of some of my rovers having fun and helping in the main base with slimes:

image.thumb.png.3f5f108f479d7c4f1582d26b35874976.png

They also flattened the surface and made a huge pool for me only in a few turns:

image.thumb.png.667a9986366f3d8297d367fe08ef7b55.png

4 minutes ago, Yunru said:

And when they run out of battery?

Also, "free"? Rovers cost materials still, no?

For each rover, you need to pay 500 Kg ore. Is not it free! The time needed for adding a new rover is less than a minute. And they work for a long time in the base. You also can partially salvage them. 

2 minutes ago, evilcat19xx said:

For each rover, you need to pay 500 Kg ore.

But you get 400kg when you dismantle the lander. So 100kg net each. Pretty cheap for a droid army.

I hollowed out my third asteroid with this method. :-)

Now they're just littering the place. I expect you can melt them, but there's no good way to move them once they run out of power.  There's also some mechanic where dupes will load them back into the rocket module that I don't fully understand.

I assume we`ll get an option to build rechargable bots at some point so you wouldn`t have to resort to dropping rovers on your main base and they won`t litter the place once used up. Eventually the rovers probably need to be a bit higher in tech as well so it isn`t as gamebreaking. Then they could add a generic recharge station for multiple types of robots.

Still they are useful only for basic tasks and can`t dig through hard rocks or build anything more than basic stuff. But most of the time that`s all you need anyway.

37 minutes ago, evilcat19xx said:

For each rover, you need to pay 500 Kg ore. Is not it free!

This is starting to feel like a TV shopping channel ad :P

58 minutes ago, evilcat19xx said:

Result: Free super-efficient workforce for your base

3 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Eventually the rovers probably need to be a bit higher in tech as well so it isn`t as gamebreaking.

One easy solution is to make them super expensive. But, I am pretty sure there are some better alternatives that can be employed to solve this issue.

9 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Still they are useful only for basic tasks and can`t dig through hard rocks or build anything more than basic stuff. But most of the time that`s all you need anyway.

This is absolutely right.

1 minute ago, evilcat19xx said:

One easy solution is to make them super expensive. But, I am pretty sure there are some better alternatives that can be employed to solve this issue.

Making them expensive kinda breaks their purpose though. They need to be a cheap way to explore wild asteroids and prepare bases. Maybe refined metal is the way. Or they need some unrenewable resources to construct (other than ore) so you an`t just spam them in your base.

17 hours ago, Yunru said:

This is starting to feel like a TV shopping channel ad :P

And the ad broadcasting from a TV at the start of an apocalyptic science fiction movie. Right before the rovers rise up against their masters!

image.png.51502bcf5944e345dfabd07fd8f90444.png

17 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Making them expensive kinda breaks their purpose though.

True. I saw that.

17 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Or they need some unrenewable resources to construct (other than ore) so you an`t just spam them in your base.

This may works.

Another solution can be that: an engineer dupe should be needed to remote control a rover (using a research module).

image.png.731228e5a4826ca30eb6c98bdf8f33ed.png

I assume that rockets not consuming fuel to go in orbit is not intended. If so, this partially solves the rover spamming on the first asteroid, as you will run out of fuel very quickly. They also serve no purpose in taming the oil planetoïd, so not that gamebreaking aswell. I kinda think they're fine, but refined metal seems a good option to decently increase requirements to deploy them.

7 hours ago, qda said:

I assume that rockets not consuming fuel to go in orbit is not intended. If so, this partially solves the rover spamming on the first asteroid, as you will run out of fuel very quickly.

The time needed to send a rocket to the orbit is zero. Also, I used carbon dioxide as a fuel which is almost free.

7 hours ago, qda said:

so not that gamebreaking aswell

You can try it and see how broken it is, it only takes a few minutes after you build your first rocket. (I have a video online to show how broken it is, but since I am trying to avoid any misconception that I created this post for any other purposes than reporting a broken mechanic, I won't send any links here.)

7 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Hahaha, excellent! Welcome to the group of "Those That Perform Insane Experiments"!

Haha, is that an unavoidable destiny for all of us, the Oni players?

I always try to find a simple and efficient way to solve the challenges in Oni, and I also try to avoid building any unnecessary, over-complicated contraptions.
That is how I found out about this mechanic. It is simple, time-efficient, and useful.  

27 minutes ago, evilcat19xx said:
8 hours ago, qda said:

I assume that rockets not consuming fuel to go in orbit is not intended. If so, this partially solves the rover spamming on the first asteroid, as you will run out of fuel very quickly.

The time needed to send a rocket to the orbit is zero. Also, I used carbon dioxide as a fuel which is almost free.

Except you have no way of producing CO2 on your starting planetoïd. If we assume going into orbit require for example a reasonable half a starmap tile of fuel, that's 30kg of CO2. Then you can send a few rovers to help but not that much, and by doing so, you greatly slow your expansion to other asteroïds. And for those, do you really need rover spamming ? I mean, they can't help you for the oily one, and the third one you usually need a couple fiber reed seeds and a few tons of gold amalgam for temperature shenanigans. So, I clearly see the fun in rover spamming, but I don't think it is actually that gamebreaking.

1 hour ago, Yunru said:

You can use a CO2 rocket to produce CO2. 

That is true. You can see the liquid CO2 in the second picture on the surface of the map. I guess they are mostly generated by my rocket.

1 hour ago, qda said:

I mean, they can't help you for the oily one, and the third one you usually need a couple fiber reed seeds and a few tons of gold amalgam for temperature shenanigans.

Yes, but they are very good at doing the basic stuff. 

Currently, there is no need to visit any other planetoids. When there is access to clean solar powers without any thermal pollutions, why even bother extracting oils. In the current state of the game, you can have a sustainable colony without any need to oil.

What if robots require remote control by dupes? This way there is a limit as to how many robots you can have, and it isn't simply just a way cheaper labor than dupes as it requires dupe labor to work. Then it can do its intended purpose, which is to start a colony where duplicant operation isn't possible because of the lack of oxygen or food production.

51 minutes ago, RageLeague said:

What if robots require remote control by dupes?

We are on the same page! That is exactly my solution:

On 1/13/2021 at 5:53 PM, evilcat19xx said:

Another solution can be that: an engineer dupe should be needed to remote control a rover (using a research module).

image.png.731228e5a4826ca30eb6c98bdf8f33ed.png

Archived