Pre-space 10kg/s Sour Gas Boiler

Given the lack of super-coolant and the usefulness of sulfur in the DLC, I've renewed my interest in pre-space sour gas boiler designs.  This is what I've come up with:

1054391739_Pre-Space10kgSourGas-Overview.thumb.png.5b7a607b9011a6c8f3c3e00c333ac530.png

Magma-heated and thermo-regulator cooled the only advanced materials needed are steel and ceramic (and those could be done without if you absolutely wanted to).

The design is conceptually pretty simple.  A 3 column bead pump counterflow converts  80C oil to 140C sour gas.  35 thermo-regulators running on hydrogen provide almost exactly the same cooling potential as an aquatuner with super-coolant.

Gas Pipes

Spoiler

1492926329_Pre-Space10kgSourGas-Ventilation.thumb.png.ee8151cf199949952931c74190ce259e.png

Plumbing

Spoiler

475363741_Pre-Space10kgSourGas-Plumbing.thumb.png.82474617e55282f5bf6ea923f4900879.png

Ignore the super-coolant cooling the thermo-regulators, those would be in a giant steam room with the natural gas generators in a survival build.

Shipping

Spoiler

17683374_Pre-Space10kgSourGas-Shipping.thumb.png.ecf14657d301e85ea171170d0cec8b6d.png

Automation

Spoiler

1377930344_Pre-Space10kgSourGas-Automation.thumb.png.d00c9a9fe2c21078546d2027acc92c5e.png

Materials

Spoiler

2116495877_Pre-Space10kgSourGas-Materials.thumb.png.2e3d1c72612fc9d18bdd72c02f74db34.png

Automation and power bridges are aluminum.  Thermo-regulators are steel.  Radiant gas pipes are steel.  Insulated pipes and tiles are ceramic.

Notes about the sulfur counterflow.  An efficient sulfur counterflow about halves the cooling requirement for a sour gas boiler.  Which is good because I really don't want to build 70 thermo-regulators.  The way it works here is that the sweepers immediately move the sulfur to a stock pile on the weight plate.  When that pile is above 1 ton the conveyor loader is activated.  This ensures that there is always 20kg per packet on the rails.  The sulfur travels up inside un-insulated ceramic tiles.  These are used to decrease vertical thermal conduction.  But, they still have a TC higher than sulfur so we're getting the maximum conduction with the sulfur debris since TC is clamped to the lower value for thermal interactions with debris.  Some of the sulfur will melt on the rail.  When it does it will emerge as a liquid in the vacuum column to the left of the rails and immediately freeze back into debris and fall to the bottom.  There is an automation based overflow sensor at the bottom of the column which will open the conveyor chute if sulfur isn't melting fast enough.  When it melts the sulfur ends up ~110C; after warm-up the sulfur output is ~95C.

Power draw is 3.3kW for the gas pumps and ~7kW for the thermo-regulators, leaving ~49kW net after burning all the natural gas.

(Edit: Broken save file removed. There's a working on further down in the comments)

Stares at thermo regulator arrays built by @ghkbrew... Hmm, rings a bell... This explains stuff that happened a while ago (making LOX). (sends virtual coffee)

Great build!

4 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

The design is conceptually pretty simple. 

The more bells and whistles, the more places there are for unexpected "fun" to arise.

2 hours ago, JRup said:

Stares at thermo regulator arrays built by @ghkbrew... Hmm, rings a bell... This explains stuff that happened a while ago (making LOX). (sends virtual coffee)

Noticed that, did you ;-)

2 hours ago, JRup said:
6 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

The design is conceptually pretty simple. 

The more bells and whistles, the more places there are for unexpected "fun" to arise.

KISS  (keep it simple stupid) is the way of enlightenment. My initial designs had staged cooling with petroleum and/or ethanol aquatuner, but just adding another 20 thermo regulators ended up being a whole lot simpler, much more robust, and about the same size.

17 minutes ago, speckle21 said:

Sorry for being a moron, how do you run save files?

I put it in my save file directory but i don't see it appear when i load the game.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, it seems something is wonky with the website or so...

@ghkbrew; seems the forum or something borked the save download... It's not coming up as a .sav file, I've tested it and no workie.

image.png.36c9f7ac0aa7a657e5a59cff142b7634.png

I even cleaned the file name and added .sav... Swedish chef done good job on this one.

59 minutes ago, JRup said:

@ghkbrew; seems the forum or something borked the save download... It's not coming up as a .sav file, I've tested it and no workie.

Weird.  I think that may actually be the temperature overlay image I uploaded but forgot to add to the text.  Try this one.

(And if it wasn't apparent, I'm using the infinite liquid and gas sources mod.  It should load without it, but you won't have any oil and the gasses will backup)

Pre-Space 10kg Sour Gas.sav

3 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

Weird.  I think that may actually be the temperature overlay image I uploaded but forgot to add to the text. 

Indeed it is, just added a .png at the end:

image.png.6a638a83c8be89f0efa1993ae0fbbf6d.png

6 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

(And if it wasn't apparent, I'm using the infinite liquid and gas sources mod.  It should load without it, but you won't have any oil and the gasses will backup)

Yep, pretty much. Don't forget the cooling for the TR's :D

It now loads, I'll get the mod later.

58 minutes ago, Radam said:

This is my setup, im using liquid methane as coolant. And i precool the sour gas with steam turbine output.

Nice. That looks like a survival build. Always impressive.

What kind of through put are you getting?

And what's with the "natural" tiles?

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

I think he's using natural tiles to allow tempshift plates to be put behind tiles.

Agreed. I still have so many questions.

What are they made of? How were they created? It seems like it involve a lot of work.

What advantages does that arrangement have? I think 3 shipping bridges would be more effective since you get 3 "zones" in the space of 1 temp shift plate.

1 hour ago, ghkbrew said:

I think 3 shipping bridges would be more effective since you get 3 "zones" in the space of 1 temp shift plate.

3 bridges and 1 tile shaft is superior, imho, but high pressure gradient, so not that easy to comprehend/control.

Archived