Annoying starting resources

This is mostly public issue, as you can fix it in your own world settings.

Twiggy trees, grass geckos, and moles are very annoying, and I struggle to find a single person who is genuinely happy to get these as starting resources. 

Case in point: 2 deaths from darkness on the first night because of grass geckos. 322330_screenshots_20210101104310_1.thumb.jpg.d0c121d635c82c69c1ec87579fd9df42.jpg

Grass geckos are dangerous for beginners, who have no idea where to find grass after little savannah near spawn was raided.

Twiggy trees are a huge pain to farm, to the point where I'd rather chop normal trees and plant/dig their pinecones for twigs. 

And then there's moles borrows instead of rabbit holes. You think players who don't share flint are bad? Moleworms are outside of their borrows during first day. They will grab all the flint around them, and right after than go into their borrows to sleep. Now you won't be able to get that flint even when they come out, since they leave it in their borrows. 

I wish Kiei would get rid of this nuisance, by making starting resources either mixed or classic by default. Except for moles (delete them). 

i like the moles a lot. they are invaluable as meat in worlds where berries and seeds are scarce or when it is close to winter and you've just spawned in. the moment you find a mineral or a trinket they can be killed(with an axe/pickaxe) or collected for later eating(with a hammer). pubs often have a crockpot by portal when they are between 30 and 150 days old too so often if you can find fillers you can get a meatball from one

I set mine to “highly random” and then laugh my butt off when I spawn from the portal: don’t pay attention to what I’m doing and 2-3seconds later I get whacked by Swamp tentacle that was just inches away from spawn. And since I “mostly” play alone & Always host my own world- I know other players didn’t put it there, it’s just my crazy bad luck! 

1 hour ago, zarklord_klei said:

Moles aren't a part of the prefab swaps system.

Yeah , that makes sence. But it does seem like some times you get rabbits and other times you get moles. One of those messes with resources.

12 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

This is mostly public issue, as you can fix it in your own world settings.

Twiggy trees, grass geckos, and moles are very annoying, and I struggle to find a single person who is genuinely happy to get these as starting resources. 

Case in point: 2 deaths from darkness on the first night because of grass geckos. 322330_screenshots_20210101104310_1.thumb.jpg.d0c121d635c82c69c1ec87579fd9df42.jpg

Grass geckos are dangerous for beginners, who have no idea where to find grass after little savannah near spawn was raided.

Twiggy trees are a huge pain to farm, to the point where I'd rather chop normal trees and plant/dig their pinecones for twigs. 

And then there's moles borrows instead of rabbit holes. You think players who don't share flint are bad? Moleworms are outside of their borrows during first day. They will grab all the flint around them, and right after than go into their borrows to sleep. Now you won't be able to get that flint even when they come out, since they leave it in their borrows. 

I wish Kiei would get rid of this nuisance, by making starting resources either mixed or classic by default. Except for moles (delete them). 

I agree to an extent. When used to their full extent, grass gekkos are far better than regular grass. However, starting off in a world with them in is way too annoying. I love that you can have regular grass turned into them, however, as a starting variant, I hate it. Juicy berries have a wonderful tradeoff far more food, but fast rotting. I never mind whether I have regular berries or these.

Then there are twiggy trees...

I hate them as a starting resources. They make the early game so incredibly slow and annoying. The just have to base in the desert at that point because tumbleweeds are a way better option. As a tree in the wild, I really love them. Free twigs on the ground on walks to and from places on the map are nice.

As was said earlier, moles are not variants, but they can be very useful. You can dig up their burrows to get whatever they took and an extra mineral. That bug that allows them to be active during the day (maybe a loading in issue) is annoying and I agree with that.

5 minutes ago, SilverBisexual said:

I agree to an extent. When used to their full extent, grass gekkos are far better than regular grass. 

I highly recommend you to try out this grass farm. It's far better than grass geckos.

4 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

I highly recommend you to try out this grass farm. It's far better than grass geckos.

Interesting idea, I may end up using this mid game. Though after a time I prefer grass gekkos just because I can walk in and take whatever I want (usually less than a stack)

Also I hate having to fertilize

From my experience it doesnt much matter which type of resources a public server has because if you join later than like day 5 there'll be nothing for miles around the portal anyway. The basic resource respawn around the portal needs be cranked way higher on klei official servers i think. or birds need to start dropping flint, grass and twigs way sooner and more frequently. 

your best bet is always going down the first sinkhole and exploring the caves for resources. they're usually untapped on public servers. Willow is really good for older public servers like this because of her lighter. 

--

the reason why i dont like geckos and Twiggy start on my solo worlds is because no grass tufts and saplings make entire biomes feel super empty and ugly. Twiggy trees will rapidly start spawning through world regen anyway, and you can control the amount of tufts that turn into geckos but u cant turn geckos into tufts for decoration etc... comes down to the whole problem of renewability of plantables for me which is why ive started to make my solo worlds endless 

On 1/1/2021 at 2:16 PM, Gi-Go said:

Yeah , that makes sence. But it does seem like some times you get rabbits and other times you get moles. One of those messes with resources.

that is completely dependent on the biome. Rabbits spawn in specific biomes, and moles spawn in specific biomes

Archived