Wilson rework concept

Let me get things straight, I do understand that many of you would boycott to leave wilson alone, that he is C tier character and other things, but i don't really think Wilson should be left alone from the reworks, he do need one thing to make him more team based than he is now, because let's be fair, most newbies would either play wigfrid or wendy than wilson, and his beard isn't completely useful because it's use is only for Winter, he isn't the worst character, he is the dullest one.

So my changes won't affect him as a character, but maybe boost him a bit but not that much, as we know, he is a scientist, most likely a chemistrian because he did something with test tubes in the very trailer of don't starve resulting in explosion. I do not believe that he knows less science than factory worker or librarian, this is just not right for a scientist. He should have something for him to do science, just keep on reading:

Test tubes - Wilson will be able to create his good ol' test tubes like he had in the trailer from moon glass at the alchemy engine, this test tubes will allow to collect any 'essence' from what you want to pick, for example you killed a hound, collecting the essence from varg tooth will give you hound 'essence' it won't be able to do anything though, because it's just an item to use at...

Mixing workshop - desk like structure that needs test tubes to work, this will need 5 planks and 3 moonglasses, this will have a place for 3 tubes and will create a "halloween event like" potions but with different works. This will also include an explosion if the pattern was not good making your screen be covered with smoke-like fog like one you saw in the trailer for 10 seconds and also changing wilsons appearance at the time as said like in the trailer. I don't want to talk much about it, because its truly a klei thing to work something out with this, this idea would tell too much about the combinations

- "Potions" - As said, this will give multiple uses depending what have been used to mix, for example if you used essences linked to the fertilizers, you will basically get a liqud that cuts 1/5 the time required to grow a crop, but after that, it will fully ignore another attempts and is a single use, or boosting your damage/changing something giving bonus 'animations' for example if you used varg tooth, it will make a chomp-like animation when hitting something

in conclusion, i think this is ideal wilson rework, not changing him by much, fitting his personality and is quite balanced, also giving a crucial use for wilson in the team, it could get some changes, so feel free to suggest them, but for me it's quite enough, have a good day/evening/night then and see you in the next one!

Just now, Well-met said:

I don't want Wilson to become a potion maker or witch doctor.

if you want to buff him, up his hp to 200 and sanity to 250

and allow him to prototype everything

he won't be some kind of witch doctor, he is chemistrian, the chemistrian job is to experiment with things and wait for results, if he could prototype everything, he would be just worser wickerbottom and his stats should be left alone

1 minute ago, ArcerPL said:

if he could prototype everything, he would be just worser wickerbottom and his stats should be left alone

I mean like remembering ruins and moon recipes

surely a walking ruins station is helpful to the team yes?

1 minute ago, Well-met said:

I mean like remembering ruins and moon recipes

surely a walking ruins station is helpful to the team yes?

well then that would be kinda broken, because it's pretty the very thing devs don't want to because the items from here are just too good to carry around, for example creating deconstrution staff on the spot just gives you infinite resources such as scales from dragonfly

4 minutes ago, ArcerPL said:

well then that would be kinda broken, because it's pretty the very thing devs don't want to because the items from here are just too good to carry around, for example creating deconstrution staff on the spot just gives you infinite resources such as scales from dragonfly

scales are not valuable at all beyond the furnace. wasting green gems for such a purpose is infact detrimental to you.

If this makes Wilson "too good" then that means he's now an equal to the refreshed characters. Because Wendy, Wortox and company are also "too good".

scales are not valuable at all beyond the furnace. wasting green gems for such a purpose is infact detrimental to you.

If this makes Wilson "too good" then that means he's now an equal to the refreshed characters. Because Wendy, Wortox and company are also "too good".

but giving wilson that power makes you no longer need to go for this things, also remember that you can switch characters, which means wilson would become a switch character just like winona, switch only if you need something from him

9 minutes ago, ArcerPL said:

but giving wilson that power makes you no longer need to go for this things, also remember that you can switch characters, which means wilson would become a switch character just like winona, switch only if you need something from him

Simple, just make it so you lose recipes on switch. That way Wilson needs to visit the stations at least once.

Simple, just make it so you lose recipes on switch. That way Wilson needs to visit the stations at least once.

i mean, this is good, but still it would be a wee bit too broken, but anyways, i think at least those changes could be applied to new character, but who knows what klei will do

I've thought for a while now it would be interesting if Wilson could access the Mad Scientist Lab year round. Perhaps get his own variant with unique potions, ala Wigfried's songs. I like your idea with Test Tubes, although I wonder if tying it to the Lunar Biomes might be a bit much. It would be nice to have a character that wants to head to the Lunar Island in first Autumn, so maybe that would be fine.

3 minutes ago, JaxckLl said:

I've thought for a while now it would be interesting if Wilson could access the Mad Scientist Lab year round. Perhaps get his own variant with unique potions, ala Wigfried's songs. I like your idea with Test Tubes, although I wonder if tying it to the Lunar Biomes might be a bit much. It would be nice to have a character that wants to head to the Lunar Island in first Autumn, so maybe that would be fine.

The problem is the mad lab is thematically bound to an event, and all the potions outside of the lunar experiment are dreadfully bad.

2 minutes ago, Well-met said:

The problem is the mad lab is thematically bound to an event, and all the potions outside of the lunar experiment are dreadfully bad.

Well, uh, yeah? Hence the suggestion to make it not tied to an event? The individual balance of potions can always be readjusted, especially if they are tied to one character. Again, compare them to Wigfreid's songs.

I will say this one more time: The Starting Animation when you load up DST has Charlie walk up to and Free Wilson out from under the influence of the Nightmare Throne- The very same throne that held Maxwell captive in DS single player and that Wilson had to quest through 5 randomly generated worlds & sacrifice himself to free Maxwell trading places as the thrones captor- It is official Lore that DST picks up where DS ended.

And as such- I would expect Wilson to get SEQUEL worthy new abilities that showcases he has adventures through 5 randomly generated worlds of Torture and spent time upon the Nightmare throne.

Since DST is finally being treated as a Sequel to DS- Wilson should have new found abilities that reflect upon that: Just like how Klei explains that Wickerbottom helped Woodie gain control over and utilize his Werecurse to his advantage.

45 minutes ago, stranger again said:

yeah so got any ideas then?

I only had ONE for him, but it’s cute and fits the theme of Dont Starve: I wanted him to be able to shave off his beard hair and when insane that beard hair grows a pair of eyes, and becomes a Beardling rabbit- since killing Beardling Rabbit drops beard hairs most the time anyway- it only makes sense.

Now for everyone who is NOT insane they will just see Wilson as the expert gentleman scientist that he claims to be literally being able to summon rabbits through the power of Science! (well in his case Insanity)

Maxwell inspection quotes could even make some snarky remark like “that’s not that impressive of a Magic trick..”

What it would do Gameplay Wise is allow Wilson to be the only character in the entire game who can summon meat (non-monster) without needing to craft a book (like Wicker) and only needs to sit around insane near his shaved off beard stuffs he left laying around.

Its gimmicky but since BERNIE exists and Killing Beardlings actually drops Beard Hair it makes tons of sense.

The only other rework ideas I had was looking at his profile icons, loading screens and Klei official art- He seems to actually dabble in potions and chemicals- as seen Here:

58AD7F3E-16EB-451B-9ABB-8FD488C16395.thumb.jpeg.16c048d98e7f9312b9016d19d1392e6f.jpeg

and Here: 

E0E37550-9113-43EE-AAA2-2655B17A77F7.thumb.png.d4829b198c8b60e778da6eff14a4727e.png

(Well maybe the second photo is him holding a chilled amulet.. but it looks like a splash potion for cold: Maybe he could summon his own Icebergs?) 

But the first photo most certainly has him experimenting on poor animals with questionable chemicals Aka Mad Scientist style. (Unless that’s just his pet duck and he put a ton of celery in a blender and turned it into nice juice for it to drink)

Jokes aside: I seriously want to see Wilson gain something that reflects DST is Sequel- and he’s learned new things:

Just as Woodie and Wendy have.

36 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well maybe the second photo is him holding a chilled amulet.. but it looks like a splash potion for cold: Maybe he could summon his own Icebergs?

Its an Ice Staff, to be precise, but from a weird angle (like seeing it from above-ish).

While someone mentioned Wilson rework I am gonna propose mine here.

I think Wilson should be that kind of character that is not really that good, but an easy one to start with. His perk is simply having no down side, but with other character all have some way to patch their own downside with much greater perk on other aspect I think he deserve a little bit more perk.

Just a tiny bit of perk that help newbie more at beginning, not really good perk so doesn't really need a downside to balance thing out, while bring in at least some value to the team, and of course, perk that fits his character.

- start with a portable science machine that can be upgraded to a portable alchemy engine, both can be used by anyone, but can only be craft / disassembled by Wilson.

1. This can help absolute newcomer to immediately realize the importance of higher tier crafting, but wouldn't need to be pressured to find their first piece of gold. Still need some gold to upgrade to portable alchemy engine.

2. Team contribution wise, can help other player to prototype on spot at early game.

3. As players prototype more recipes, this thing become much less useful and a waste in inventory spot, so it's just good enough to start but not really good.

4. He is the staple scientist wannabe in the game! This just fits the trait that he likes to do new science, but is not good enough to come up with his own unique new thing.

- prototype gives him 25 sanity instead of 15

an intentionally useless perk in late game but perhaps help on newbie to not get bothered by shadow monster in early game.
also fit the trait that he likes to do new science.

- Can craft and use healing salve and honey poultices faster for 0.5 second instead of usual 1 second.
- Have a different quote when examining a player that has health below 1/2 and another one below 1/3.
- Boost healing effect when Wilson used it on himself or others. 

(+5hp / +10hp / effect x1.25 / effect x1.5 etc., the one that doesn't feel broken I guess)

This is going to be the most major buff he is going to get. As people have been pointing out, he has been somewhat associated with being a doctor. This would let him contribute in combat other than easy beard material for let team make effigy as just one of the reviving option. And Bernie if there is a Willow I guess.

This is differentiated with Wortox's small AoE healing, more of the individual bigger amount healing.

bonus could be applied to booster shot / telltale heart, but boost shot can't be used on other people and telltale heart is pretty much magic and not a doctor thing so should probably just be left as it is.

The only doubt I have is this may create newbie Wilson that just trying to be a healer and avoids fight, but they can be taught I guess.

Also since he isn't great at creating new stuff, he ain't getting more unique crafting recipes.

Above would be my idea of Wilson rework, it's pretty simple and boring but at least it pretty much fit his character.

-

Other interesting tweak I can think of is maybe he can have insanity aura when he has full of beard that applies to everyone but himself
because his beard is probably pretty gross to everyone else / beard is associated with insanity. On the other hand, he would have sanity Aura when he has no beard due to some kind of protagonist charm I guess? although still only applies to other people. This can create some interesting beard managing situation.

Or maybe some extra damage modifier to shadow creature due to getting accustomed to nightmare because of the throne event?
This can help a newbie fight when they went insane and probably be pretty useful for nightmare cycle, other wise is a pretty useless perk.
but honestly this is quite a stretch and should probably just be tossed.

Like I suggested on Discord, I believe that a much better direction for Wilson, which also fits his thematic and makes him a good starter character without fundamentally changing his gameplay, is to make Wilson make better guiding commentaries when interacting with/inspecting the world. As an example, if you pick up a piece of flint and interact with this piece of flint, Wilson will now make a commentary about how you can use flint. Not all uses, but he describes it as something which is useful for toolcrafting. Since Wilson has a bit of a snarky personality, the snark could and should be retained, as to not completely change his personality. 

I know that some characters already do this sometimes to some extent, but perhaps WIlson could be the one character that does it the best or the most clearly. It is in line with his background as a scientist for the same reason that Wickerbottom describes the world around her in scientific terms, but it does not change his character or his gameplay. Rather, it becomes a matter of flavor. 

Oh wilson. Wilson is a character should be reworked but sadly I can't fit any idea to him.
The only thing I think form him is "crazy scientist" role but even it don't fit him well. So I will wait and see it.

@xxXolot: This is perfect! I especially love your idea of the portable science machine. That would really reinforce Wilson as the "default" choice for new players, as they would get the ability to prototype right off the bat. The extra healing perk is also a nice touch, as it makes Wilson more forgiving for newer players. Only suggestion I would make is to give him an alternative Booster Shot recipe which uses Butterfly Wings instead of Rot. Rot can be frustrating resource to gather in first Autumn, since it is rare for enough rottables to have been accumulated and not consumed to leave behind the 8 needed for the Booster Shot. Having a recipe which uses Butterfly Wings would also teach new players the value of butterflies as a resource, and encourage them to practice their kiting on a defenseless but quick enemy.

The Portable Science Machine also opens up space for a witchy character who starts with a portable Prestihatinator.

Archived