Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Blue Moth

Make Orange Gems craftable via Desert Stones

Recommended Posts

In my personal opinion, desert stones are the worst boss drop in the entire game. For solo play, desert stones are completely worthless. When playing with other people, desert stones are more useful, but you still don't ever need the amount of desert stones you get. You will never need 30 desert stones ever. If Antlion dropped only 1-2 desert stones, that would be significantly better. Klaus also should not drop desert stones. But anyways, I'm getting a bit off track from the point of this thread.

I think an excellent way to fix Desert Stones and make them useful for everyone is to make Orange Gems attainable via Desert Stones. According to Maxwell, a Desert Stone is just "An impure orange gem." So, perhaps the Shadow Manipulator could unlock the recipe for Orange Gems in the Refine tab, costing 1 desert stone for 1 orange gem. Another possible way to make Orange Gems attainable from Desert Stones could be mining the stones, to get the gem that is buried in the stone out. (if you don't know what i'm talking about, the desert stone appears to be an orange gem that has been coated in sandrock.)

64?cb=20170203190828

Anyways, I hope it wasn't too hard to get through my ranting about desert stones, but I really think this would be a great change to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see your particular solution solving the problem--in my experience you get too many orange gems playing solo anyways. But I agree that desert stone is mostly useless when playing solo. Maybe they can add an expensive recipe (like 5 desert stones?) that let's you teleport to a deserter without anyone activating it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Easonade said:

I don't see your particular solution solving the problem--in my experience you get too many orange gems playing solo anyways. But I agree that desert stone is mostly useless when playing solo. Maybe they can add an expensive recipe (like 5 desert stones?) that let's you teleport to a deserter without anyone activating it?

Orange gems at least have more uses than desert stones, plus having them in masses makes fast travel via the lazy explorer much more viable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tykvesh said:

@Blue Moth If you need a use for them when playing solo, consider trying Lazy Lazy Deserter. Not only it allows you to teleport while playing alone, it also lets you teleport between worlds!

  Hide contents

Shameless plug right there :mrgreen:

 

I actually do have the mod installed, but I am hesitant to use it since I don't like using mods that effect gameplay, unless the whole point of the run is to use the mod, like my New Series on YouTube    using a very nice Winona rework mod.

Spoiler

Hey, if you are gonna shamelessly plug stuff, I can too.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

I actually do have the mod installed, but I am hesitant to use it since I don't like using mods that effect gameplay, unless the whole point of the run is to use the mod, like my New Series on YouTube    using a very nice Winona rework mod.

Oh, I see you're also using Epic Healthbar? Nice to meet a fan of my works! Consider this mod a gift for you: Pure Desert Stone.zip

1028708499_DontStarveTogetherScreenshot2020_12.20-21_19_17_16.png.4f0b0d3854e6d0c2086c789a5a0af146.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/20/2020 at 8:29 PM, Blue Moth said:

 

I think an excellent way to fix Desert Stones and make them useful for everyone is to make Orange Gems attainable via Desert Stones. According to Maxwell, a Desert Stone is just "An impure orange gem." So, perhaps the Shadow Manipulator could unlock the recipe for Orange Gems in the Refine tab, costing 1 desert stone for 1 orange gem.

then they should add something like chisel to make sense

Link to comment
Share on other sites