I normally play in lights out, and I was REALLY excited for the Reap what you sow update, but now with the latest hotfix I'm honestly just kinda sad, now fertilizers are worthwhile but I cant use any of it. I really wanted to play warly more, and actually take advantage of wurt instead of fighting only during autumn when I can reliably make trailmix for big fights. Don't get me wrong I do understand it was never intended for farming to suddenly be possible at night, but I was really happy to discover it was. If possible I'd like the developers to consider re-adding it into the game, even if I have to keep the area lit up like in base don't starve.

(I think you can do it with starcallers staffs, but believe it or not, I dont want to kill dragonfly every twenty days just to make some veggies and spices)

They could add in a new easier to get artificial sunlight source that may or may not be reserved exclusively for lights out mode, Similar to how you can effectively replace Mushlights with the easier to obtain and craft Boat Lantern Upgrade.

Both are used as street lights and while one may be superior to the other, the other is easier to get hold of and craft in bulk.

Having to fight bosses or use end game items to farm would quiet honestly be boring and stupid, but having the plants either grow in darkness during lights out mode or to craft a Artificial Sunlight item (something new and relatively simple to get hold of and craft..)

They could even get creative and allow us to use Boat Lanterns as a way of providing artificial sun to lights out plants. (That just need to be slotted with a new Source, maybe even the Sun fish?)

Maybe you can craft multiple fish scales and put sun fish inside them near plants as artificial sunlight?

Either way.. You shouldnt need to engage in boss fights or have end game knowledge to enjoy lights out mode.

I'm honestly sad, I seriously don't think klei is gonna do anything about it, like I KNOW i could rush ruins and kill the dragonfly and get plenty of yellow gems to farm for a good while, but I don't feel like that should be a prerequisite to use the new content. like I LOVE klei entertainment and I think their work on the update is FANTASTIC they've been so receptive to feedback and paid attention to the community. But I just feel like theres not enough lights out players for them to notice my complaint. or maybe even to care.

7 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

I wish there was an easier way to get seeds and a bird for lights out worlds. Depending on catcoon and his 0.3% drop rate for a bird or his 0.29% for some especific seeds is soul crushing.

I usually play an "improved" version of lights out with 1 segment of day and 1 segment of evening. Same difficulty, but you can obtain birbs, crops, honey and other that requires light, albeit in small quantities.

Ofc it's impossible to play like this just by managing worldgen settings, so you need to generate world and use the command below.

TheWorld:PushEvent("ms_setseasonclocksegs", {summer={day=1,dusk=1,night=14}, winter={day=1,dusk=1,night=14}, spring={day=1,dusk=1,night=14}, autumn={day=1,dusk=1,night=14}})

2 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

I usually play an "improved" version of lights out with 1 segment of day and 1 segment of evening. Same difficulty, but you can obtain birbs, seeds, honey and other that requires light.

This is a really interesting way to play lights out. I think it's fair to make our own rules when otherwise it would be extremely anoying to achieve some simple things because of the options given. Thanks for the idea it seems fun, I'll be trying it!  

52 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

but I don't feel like that should be a prerequisite to use the new content.

...its not though. The game is not balanced around lights out mode. That is just an optional game mode u can choose to play for the challenge/fun. The new crops shouldve never been able to grow without light 

There already is a way to farm in total darkness via the star callers staff which gives 70 ingame days of light..  thats enough time to kill dragonfly 3 times over iirc. If thats not feasible for you then either make peace with not farming in lights out or play a regular world or install the inevitable mod that allows crops to grow in darkness 

11 hours ago, Ohan said:

...its not though. The game is not balanced around lights out mode. That is just an optional game mode u can choose to play for the challenge/fun. The new crops shouldve never been able to grow without light

Mate, i play almost exclusively lights out, so if i cant do it in lights out, its not available. It is more fun for me, i like to come up with clever solutions. “No honey? Nah i’ll burn down a hive to force normal bees out then capture then and place the hive miles away so they gain honey very slowly and can harvest it for more bees” 

and i as i stated i am fully aware i could rush ruins, to be perfectly honest it isnt even super hard. But if i already dont rush ruins why would i start doing it just to grow crops. 

i know it was a bugfix and not a change, i’m not an idiot. I’m asking for an actual change to allow it with some challenge aside from a starcallers staff. Its not unreasonable what they’ve done and i know i could use the starcallers staff and kill dragonfly. But that is not worthwhile, even in the slightest. Hell i wouldnt even waste my yellow gems if i had them on that, id make one staff stab it into the moonstone then make several light amulets. I like the farming mechanics, i really do, but it is not worth scheduling a fight with one of the raid bosses once every year just for the purpose of farming, i like to chill when i play the game, i can kite dragonfly, but i shouldnt be forced to kill him just so i can keep farming.

1 hour ago, Copyafriend said:

Mate, i play almost exclusively lights out, so if i cant do it in lights out, its not available. It is more fun for me, i like to come up with clever solutions. “No honey? Nah i’ll burn down a hive to force normal bees out then capture then and place the hive miles away so they gain honey very slowly and can harvest it for more bees” 

and i as i stated i am fully aware i could rush ruins, to be perfectly honest it isnt even super hard. But if i already dont rush ruins why would i start doing it just to grow crops. 

i know it was a bugfix and not a change, i’m not an idiot. I’m asking for an actual change to allow it with some challenge aside from a starcallers staff. Its not unreasonable what they’ve done and i know i could use the starcallers staff and kill dragonfly. But that is not worthwhile, even in the slightest. Hell i wouldnt even waste my yellow gems if i had them on that, id make one staff stab it into the moonstone then make several light amulets. I like the farming mechanics, i really do, but it is not worth scheduling a fight with one of the raid bosses once every year just for the purpose of farming, i like to chill when i play the game, i can kite dragonfly, but i shouldnt be forced to kill him just so i can keep farming.

with the new farming you dont need to waste half of one staff (which is easy to have since you said you have the level to farm them) to have lots of veggies for in game years. also, for what do you want yellow gems? are pretty common. I will be more upset to waste living logs than gems

i dont think is worth to introduce a new item/mechanic for a gamemode that isnt the principal and, most important, when there is already a solution

edit: you arent forced to do nothing. Farms arent the only way to get food. You choose the game mode (which forces you to grind catcoons for birds and seeds) so you should expect this kind of things to happen

8 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

Can they not just make plants able to grow during night a Light's Out exclusive?

Like Pearl being nocturnal? Probably.

But to the people saying use a mod, mods don’t exist in the console versions of the game, so mods can not ALWAYS be the answer for everything.. hopefully a better solution is made besides mod.

Archived