Inifintely Sustainable Rocket

To keep a dupe alive you basically have to do 3 things:

1) Provide food

This build provides food with pacu.  They're the obvious choice. A infinite pacu farm is tiny, requires no dupe labor, and can provide as much food as you want provided you breed enough fish.

2) Provide oxygen

The gaggle of morbs on the floor both provide (polluted) oxygen.  You need about 10 to provide the O2 for one dupe.

3) Dispose of waste products (CO2 & urine)

A clever bit here is that the morbs will delete CO2 as it pools at the bottom of the rocket. 

Mini-pumps collect all of Meep's "messes" and put it in the infinite liquid storage on the bottom right where the polluted water is allowed to off-gas, providing a little extra pO2 in the process.

576023269_InfinitelySustainableRocket.thumb.png.bcc44f0d79b99fe2be2752f9ed070b91.png

Realistically there's no reason to do this.  Food can be easily provided stocked in a fridge when the rocket lands to refuel. I do think morbs will have a place in the meta for rockets though. The they provide infinite free oxygen, and take up no building room.  And since you only need to support a small number of duplicants you don't need in-feasibly large numbers of them.  In a real build I'd probably use deoderizers to control slime lung, but that would have necessitate having filtration media which I couldn't produce sustainably.  Though for some reason in this build the slime lung germs are dying off (due to low germ count) faster than they're created. 

19 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

What about temperature, the real limiter in ONI?

Hmm good question, there's barely any machinery creating heat. With enough pacu you could rely on they're temperature resetting to delete heat. I'll have to run some numbers.

2 hours ago, ghkbrew said:
2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

What about temperature, the real limiter in ONI?

Hmm good question, there's barely any machinery creating heat. With enough pacu you could rely on they're temperature resetting to delete heat. I'll have to run some numbers.

I done some pacu farms over the years, so I can tell you that you forgot something important:

=> An insulated and isolated pool of pacu will die off over time.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole:

Spoiler

Here you can find the accurate math and some other maybe interesting stuff^^

Or just take my 2 Cent: A pool of pacu, will reach an average temperature greater than the liveable range for the gulp fish morph.

[And you could satisfy the oxygen need using rotting pacu filet if you wanted to save space^^. ]

2 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Or just take my 2 Cent: A pool of pacu, will reach an average temperature greater than the liveable range for the gulp fish morph.

I have observed the same when running colonies overnight for a longer time. You need external cooling for the pool. 

40 minutes ago, psusi said:

Yes, but very, very slowly.  Like 500 cycles to lose half of your fish.

Depends on what water temperature you start with. But yes, for this scenario this is not a concern, as you do not actually need "infinitely".

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Depends on what water temperature you start with.

Well, yes, if you start with cold water it will take some time before it warms up to equilibrium, but then after that, it still takes 500 cycles to lose half the fish.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Well, yes, if you start with cold water it will take some time before it warms up to equilibrium, but then after that, it still takes 500 cycles to lose half the fish.

From the gulp-spawn rate? Yes.

7 minutes ago, psusi said:

Say, what temperature do gulp fish spawn at?

-12.5C IIRC.

Infinity rocket update: Meep has been in his rocket for 100 cycles. Ambient temperatures have risen from 27C to about 32C near the battery. I've seen one of about 65 fish evolve into a gulp fish and subsequently die from overheating.

Ignoring the gulp fish issue, I'm curious where temperatures will finally stabilize at. If the average temperature gets above 35C I'm going to start getting many more tropical pacu who spawn at 50C. That'll make it rather toasty in there.

1 hour ago, Hellshound38 said:

what about 2 seperate pools with different levels of insulation to seperate egg types on oppsoite sides of the rocket. 

It´s no rocket science to do this, but without other temperature control measures, would you be forced to use 3 pools.

If you seperate all the gulp fish you get really close to a pool temperature of 35°C. So there are 2 options:

1. You settle for a "big enough" fish population to prevent any (random) fluctuation from ever going above 35°C.[Hard to achieve in a reliable way]
  2. You settle for 3 pools

[If your pool ever exceeds 35°C for a long enough time the population will shift towards tropical pacu, which introduce even more heat when they hatch/mature ...]

17 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

If you want to go down the rabbit hole:

The best thing about this post is that it clued me in on using the Gravitas ruins as aquariums.

I don't share the burning desire of everyone else to delete them, but the dead space is mildly annoying. Now I have my solution!

It´s no rocket science to do this, but without other temperature control measures, would you be forced to use 3 pools.

If you seperate all the gulp fish you get really close to a pool temperature of 35°C. So there are 2 options:

1. You settle for a "big enough" fish population to prevent any (random) fluctuation from ever going above 35°C.[Hard to achieve in a reliable way]

[If your pool ever exceeds 35°C for a long enough time the population will shift towards tropical pacu, which introduce even more heat when they hatch/mature ...]

I think you would need over 20% of your pacu to be tropical for that to happen. I'd say this is basically impossible even with the minimum 25 pacu.

What's wrong with option 3. let the non-gulp fish pool go above 35C?  It should settle out somewhere in the 40s, I'd guess.  That's still well below the point that the temperature would cause problems.

6 hours ago, Nxf7 said:

I think you would need over 20% of your pacu to be tropical for that to happen. I'd say this is basically impossible even with the minimum 25 pacu.

Sure, it´s unlikely (even considering the additional heat provided by the machinery and the duplicant)

But aren´t we talking about "infinitely sustainable rockets" ?

Spoiler

A 99,9% chance to survive a couple thousand cycles would suffice for most(/any normal) playthrough, but I´m more interested in the theoretical possibility of achieving 100% sutainability with the currently given rocket restrictions.

It doesn´t need to be pretty or easy/reasonable to build.

6 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

What's wrong with option 3.

I forgot it ;)

[I got lost in my own version of rocket tetris^^ I was tinkering with adjacent open pools ...]

Archived