The POM - Polluted Oxygen Mavenizer v1.0

I present to you: The Polluted Oxygen Mavenizer v1.0

You can install this nice contraption on your latest DLC colony to make the best of your abundant polluted dirt resources.

It is easily extendable and provides a steady flow of clean oxygen for your colony.

The POM consists of:

• a lower layer of sublimation stations
  • a medium layer of deodizers
  • an upper chute with gas pumps

0AEFF3D18001E151A47B6EB06B1B9096376A2FC9

The sublimation stations in the bottom will produce polluted oxygen out of polluted dirt.

The deodizers will convert the polluted oxygen into clean oxygen.

The clean oxygen will rise towards the cealing filling the small chute in which the pumps are working.

As a safeguard the output of the module is filtered by a gas filter (you can replace it with a valve filter to save 120w). Polluted oxygen is simply moved back into the room, while other gases are pushed out of the green output. Once the room is completely sealed, the output should be 100% oxygen.

Additionally you might want to add a pressure sensor for the pumps to prevent them from vacuuming the room, which reduces efficiency. For me a pressure value between 500-800 seems to yield good results. Before being able to use automation, i used a manual switch to prevent the pumps from working on low pressures.

I also placed 2 compactors for polluted dirt directly into the room to prevent them from off-gasing somewhere else and to have the supply readily available.

In the future i am planning on adding auto-sweepers into the room to minimize the manual maintainance. Also i might want to add another compactor for sand as well as a conveyor line into the room (at which point i can remove access for dupes at the doors).

The room in the picture consumes a maximum of 630W, but not all machines are constantly running. So it should be easily coverable by one tame slug plug.

The room seems easily scalable. I started with 1 sublimation station. Which outputs 660g/s polluted oxygen under ideal conditions. That means that even 6 dupes could have enough oxygen from it. But given yucky lungs and the overpressuring of the station, i went with 1 sublimator per 5 dupes.

Consequently you should have a little more than 1 deodizer per dupe or 6-7 per sublimation station. But in my case i seem to be able to hold off with a little less for some reason.

After reaching my 6th dupe, i saw the need to expand the module. I simply added 2 tiles of room to the left. Added the second pump to the chute. The second sublimation station and expanded the deodizer pattern. By this logic, you could easily expand the module a few more tiles to make room for some more deodizers.

The inputs to the module seem to be available in abundance: power (plug slugs, sand, polluted dirt). So you might as well be able to run several hundred cycles without having to worry about it.

Temperature is rising very slowly. So at some point a weeze worth might also be a good idea.

How did you work with the new sublimation station?

Power

Spoiler

6176D16640C1960483878A2DA653E69D87FD79ED

Gas

Spoiler

39206DC68F36EEE0B0E750A669E08228053AD64D

Automation

Spoiler

A58C4DA67B46C0F9DBFF3F8870CC12088ACCE562

One Sublimation station can produce 660g/s PO2, one deodorizer processes 100g/s PO2 to 90g/s O2. so you need 6.6 deodirizers per Submilation station, having a few extras makes sure you dont need to worry about PO2 slipping by to gas pumps. So one Sublimation station makes 594g/s O2. I just made a block that has 7 deodorizer in two rows for each sublimation station and put automation in to deliver sand and bring the clay out.

The sublimation stations arent working 100% of the time, but this monster can make about 2500g/s O2. It requires 2-3kW of power split between two lines to do that. So spom is so much better than this if you are making oxygen. I am using this for clay->ceramics and dupes running on wheels when they would be idle otherwise. You could split this in half from the middle and have a smaller version with two sublimation stations. That would give enough oxygen for 11 dupes

Sublimation.jpg

2 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

Well, I suppose if you have a lack of clean water (like on these swamp starts), then it might be useful. The traditional spom is better though.

I like that the new starting seed encourages a different approach than the vanilla biome. So sublimator it is.;)

2 minutes ago, blash365 said:

I like that the new starting seed encourages a different approach than the vanilla biome. So sublimator it is.;)

I agree.  The only problem I see is the power requirements.  They are kind of severe.  The spom is self powered and can even be power positive with the right setup.

Still, with some tuning, perhaps sublimators could be made viable as a main oxygen source.

1 minute ago, Soulwind said:

I agree.  The only problem I see is the power requirements.  They are kind of severe.  The spom is self powered and can even be power positive with the right setup.

Still, with some tuning, perhaps sublimators could be made viable as a main oxygen source.

The plug slugs in the new biome are very helpful at reducing your need for early power sources.

1 hour ago, ghkbrew said:

The deodorizers themselves have automation ports now too.

that's worth the 5 power, and gives it some grounds, a reason. A less technical version could be seen through this lens, imho. Thanks! :) Maybe an unpowered one could work, just not as well.

11 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Don't forget that you can suck po2 through a layer of water. 

I've been exploiting this principle to develop clean designs:
1607578759_cleanoxygenmachine.thumb.jpg.f85af302aa73e171c8ee45f008c36252.jpg

In this particular layout dupes can deliver the pdirt through the corner lock so the poxygen can't escape and dupes don't need to get soggy feet to get in there. I haven't tried full scale (~7 deodorizer) setups, I figure the sublimator would mostly over-pressurize anyway unless there's a great deal of oxygen suckage above the deodorizers.

I also figure it should be possible to make delivery-from-above designs by using a stacked liquid lock which penetrates through the airflow tiles, something like a brine/pwater/water stack.

edit: something like this:41026211_stackedliquids.thumb.jpg.b6647e24871448869ed4baeafddd81ce.jpg

Stuff is delivered by hopping down. No soggy feet. Quantity of liquid in each layer is unimportant since it's all constrained by tiles anyway and you could in fact flood the entire thing with a single type of liquid, the only reason to use different types is to use less. Fits into the 4 tile tall room form-factor if that's a thing that matters.

Archived