[Poll] On Summer Smoldering

no time for title i need taco bell  

133 members have voted

1. 1. How do you normally deal with Smoldering?

• I retreat to the caves where there is no smoldering.
    • I base in Oasis where there is no smoldering.
    • I set up Ice Flingomatics.
    • I use the Lureplant setup to control where smoldering happens.
    • I camp in base with an Ice Staff, Water Balloons or a Luxury Fan.
    • No need for tools, I put out fires with my bare hands!
    • I disable smoldering in the worldgen settings.
    • I disable summer altogether.
    • Other (do note in the comments!)
  2. 2. Do you think Smoldering is a significant yet manageable and enjoyable threat to deal with?

• Yes.
    • no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • I'm undecided.
  3. 3. Do you think Smoldering should be changed?

• It should be buffed as it's not threatening enough.
    • It should be tweaked just lightly to make it function more properly.
    • No, nothing should be changed about how smoldering works.
    • It needs a nerf to balance it out.
    • It should be removed!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly think Wildfires shouldn't happen in overworld, which is basically a large island surrounded by sea with lots of rivers between biomes. In these climatic conditions water bodies should provide enough humidity to prevent wildfires everywhere with perhaps only evergreen forests being an exception. I know there should be a seasonal challenge, but overheating is enough - it's harder to overcome in the wild than freezing. And unlike winter which got deerclops and klaus you don't want to miss out due to their loot, summer doesn't have anything worth attention. Finally, having to sit through the whole season is incredibly boring - and that's exactly what you're left to do unless you go to the caves.

Ironically, the only time when you don't want to miss out the summer in-game is during Winter's feast due to festive lights being added to oasis pond loot table as event-exclusive loot. Nice one.

It is not difficult to deal with, it is annoying to deal with. You make your base ugly and periodically walk over to the uggo-machines to give them a little loving.

I hate it so much I use bugs to disable it. Maybe not an issue for newer players who actually have trouble with the mechanic (although they seem to never actually try to combat it and just hide away from it...) but if you know how to properly manage it it's just tedious and unfun. It along with disease are the worst things in this game, for similar reasons.

I'd like if it was replaced with something that was actually threatening instead of annoying.

28 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

It is not difficult to deal with, it is annoying to deal with. You make your base ugly and periodically walk over to the uggo-machines to give them a little loving.

I hate it so much I use bugs to disable it. Maybe not an issue for newer players who actually have trouble with the mechanic (although they seem to never actually try to combat it and just hide away from it...) but if you know how to properly manage it it's just tedious and unfun. It along with disease are the worst things in this game, for similar reasons.

I'd like if it was replaced with something that was actually threatening instead of annoying.

I cant count how many times i died because of my grass/chests/farms burning

Yeah summer smolder is pretty annoying and easy but tedious to deal with. Aside from overhauling and adding new summer content in general, a simple rework to summer smolder in general could make the season a lot better. I’m a still a proponent of summer smolder not specifically targeting base items, but prioritizing plants and especially trees. This leaves room to turn up the frequency to a threatening amount and makes wood a valuable resource since trees are in so much danger. And with careless placement the base can still be threatened if to close to them so you have a much more simple counter measure that doesn’t require as much tedious maintenance. Then, when there eventually is summer themed content to chase, maybe people won’t feel the need to always just go underground, and the oasis still retains some advantage. 

19 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

It has recently been discovered that you can put out fires with watering cans.

Do i update the poll to include this choice or make a redone poll later when the beta is released?

I wouldn't include beta content since we don't know what might change on release.

11 minutes ago, Quyzbuk said:

I've been in my Lights Out worlds too much I guess, no smoldering in perma-night.

You still overheat at night tho yeah?

Archived