What do you think will happen with geysers

The goal has to be make rockets more integral for your resource acquisition. As it is you really only need rockets for rare space materials like isoresin and niobium. Anything else you either have in abundance already or can't bring back in useful quantities because cargo modules are so small. About the only exception I can think of is solid methane and even then that's more of a nice byproduct than something you'd collect just for itself.

Moving metal volcanoes for example to other asteroids would help with that. But there a lot of possibilities to balance resources.

i watched one guy on twitch last night use debug mode to check other asteroids out.  there was a cold brine and cool slush geyser 4/5 times on the new starting geyser.  then 3-4 gold/iron/copper volcanos on another asteroid.  the starting asteroid doesnt have an oil biome but the second one does which you get teleport stations to.  there was about 6 asteroids.  one had a couple tungsten volcanos.  the biggest kicker was the planet completely magma, obsidian, abyssalite, and... niobium with a niobium geyser covered in the center.  only the niobium geyser was covered

On 11/18/2020 at 11:04 PM, Lbphero said:

do you think that they'll remove certain geysers from the starter asteroid

My opinion would be a clear vote for allowing all geysers to spawn.

Sure, I acknowledge that something like shifting all(/most) metal volcanoes away from the starting asteroid would allow for a deeper integration of intergalactic travel (or overall rocket usage^^).

Isn´t the diversity which a limited but still random selection of geysers provides more fun to play and tinker with ?

My hopes and further thoughts:

Spoiler
  • I argue for just 1-2 geysers on the starter asteroid.
  • Should the starter asteroid always contain a source of water ? (like the current steam geysers)
  • Should we reconsider which geysers are always present ?
    • Like a semi random process of selection 1 geyser of a list of "water sources" (steam, water, slush, salt ...) and one totally random.
  • My hopes for other planetoids are similar:
    • A weighted geyser distribution (like 75% volcano chance on a planet) sounds much more interesting to me than a limited geyser pool which only allows volcanoes.

I would expect to assuredly find at least ONE of the theme appropriate geysers for the destinations I would visit. If i went to a gas giant and found no hydrogen geysers i would be very disappointed (the realism of "landing" on a gas giant being besides the point) Hopefully most of the current space destinations will be represented in the DLC release version as themed asteroids, along with their geyser resources and obviously along with the new ones the DLC will introduce.

What i'm refering to: https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Starmap#Destinations

As for the starting asteroid conditions, assuming the current difficulty style selection of choose-your-asteroid is kept, there should be at least a few expected (even forced) default geysers per asteroid. The terra asteroid SHOULD have a steam vent spawn on it somewhere. The volcanic asteroid SHOULD have major volcanoes spawn throughout it. However, if a starting location like Rime should lose the odd metallic or oil geyser to a neighboring asteroid to promote more compelling gameplay, then i say "Do that thing." The one issue I have though is a situation similar to where a certain achievement is outright impossible to complete due to certain creatures not spawning anywhere in that universe; Playing a few hundred cycles in a "100% Achievements" colony only to discover that your destinations have no Pips or Gassy Moos is horrifying... And, OH LOOK, new critters to add to that list!

So, similarly, if a player is not properly primed to expect a possible "never finding infinite water" (or chlorine, or niobium, or whatever) there might be friction over the "dooming" of the colony, even if only by "math on paper" method; yes there's 1000+ cycles of water for 100 dupes in the ice on the nearest neighbor, even WITH hydrogen rockets, so please don't cry about not having any water geysers on your starting asteroid! It'll only take you 10 cycles to get to the nearest cool slush geyser!

1 minute ago, chemie said:

The geyser gen needs work.  My seed had zero geysers on both starting world and the teleport 2nd world.  This doe snot allow for sustainable base.

Yep. Klei noted in the Alpha DLC announcement that that is something on their list but hasn't been implemented yet. 

Archived