Marble Walls for DST Please!

I was thinking about how little choice we have when it comes to unburnable walls. That eliminates hay walls or wood walls. We're left with just thulecite walls, moon rock walls, and stone walls. Thulecite and especially moon rock walls are impractical to use as they're way too expensive to be readily available for big projects. That leaves stone walls. So basically we have one choice and one choice only... boring!

After rocks, I'd say marble is the next most common rocky material. It's definitely a more common resource since we've been given a means to farm it via marble trees. Unfortunately marble trees really only net you marble turf or marble suits of armour, besides the character specific ammo for the slingshot. If you added in a new marble wall, that'd give builders another option to round out our wall selections, and give all the other characters besides Walter another reason to want to farm marble trees.

That way we'd have two flammable options (hay & wood), two relatively commonly available inflammable options (stone & marble), and two relatively fancy but expensive options (thule & moon rock).

It could fill the same niche as limestone walls do in SW. I'm not saying to make it look like limestone walls, just that it'd fill that role for us in DST, as a wall crafted from a renewable (farmed) resource that would look somewhat natural, yet worked by the player such as a roughly chiselled look or the like. Somewhat fancier than stone walls but not as fancy or expensive looking as thule/moon rock.

i am always in it for new items but do remember we just got new skins for rock and thul walls which did, in effect give us two more options for non-burning walls even though they are in effect the same stats and material cost. even if you abide by thul not being practical stone walls are now two skins instead of one -shrugs- i think the team is trying their best to give us more(and since they are not charging for it they are doing so out of consideration as much as anything else)

@gaymime: I made the suggestion with an awareness of the new skin options for walls (which are amazing, ty Klei!). The point is to have another relatively inexpensive stone wall tier (or slightly better) alternative, with a look that departs far enough from the stone wall to make it an entirely new aesthetic option, not a slightly tweaked texture option for a stone wall that is still obviously a stone wall.

Plus, as I mentioned, it would give another incentive to the player to farm marble. As it is you only have 3 real options for marble if you're not Walter (turf, armour, and as I forgot to mention above, sculptures). So another use of it for walls, I think, is a very practical and feasible option to expand our wall selection palette as well as increasing the usefulness of marble.

It'd be such a small thing for them to add, but such a large impact to their community! Just think, another wall for them to make reskins for too!

@Notecja: Ohh, that reminds me of flint too. How about a flint version of a fence that is about half the thickness of a wall unit and stacked like a dry (no mortar) wall of flat stone like slate, like the kind of wall you'd see on a farm. It wouldn't be a fence reskin; it'd be its own flint version of a fence that is inflammable but not very durable. More durable than a fence (so a kind of fence upgrade) but obviously not a full wall. Being its own type of fence it could have its own texture options also.

However, I'm far more excited about the idea of a marble wall. DST's answer to SW's limestone walls (which is what Return of Them is all about). It'd be a perfect fit. Easy for them to implement as well, should they choose to treat us to it at some point down the road.

I think Marble is underused in the game in general, considering that you mainly use it for only on flooring or statues and the armor is something most people avoid usually. Adding marble walls would at least improve in more ways of base defense and or aesthetic. I mean, who DOESN'T want marble pillars being introduced as walls? I mean, we can't build those - but might as well we could have them look as marble walls.

On the note for flint and gold - I don't think those are materials FITTING to be as walls, rather sounds silly... unless maybe weaponizing walls with flint and using gold to make the edges and all for walls to be 'prettier' but that's my only take on that.

Anyway - marble walls. Please. We need'em. Also marble flooring skin to be more aligned checker flooring.

Archived