Am I heating this water to kill germs wrong?

27 minutes ago, penguin0616 said:

All of it. 

Well lets start off with what we know about reservoirs, if they are in a chlorine environment they will sterilize any liquids inside them

However liquids inside pipes will NOT be sterilized even if the pipes are in chlorine

If a reservoir is empty then liquids will pass from the input pipe to the output pipe without killing any germs so the reservoir must be at least partially full to kill germs as they pass though (the rate of germs that die is determined by how much liquid is inside the tank is so it's recommended to keep them full)

To ensure all germs are gone the polluted water will need to pass though multiple filled reservoirs (4 or more is recommended)

If there is a missing tile under the reservoir then it becomes disabled and liquids can't exit the tank.  By building the reservoir on top of a horizontal mech door you can use automation signals to control this (open door = disabled reservoir)

If I missed anything, let me know.  I'll try my best to explain

5 hours ago, ExEvolution said:

Or you can use a timer based system, I believe a full tank of water can be disinfected in 33% of a cycle, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You just need to make sure no water can be inserted until the tank is completely empty.

not sure if you can use time based system because gems can have different values

4 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

not sure if you can use time based system because gems can have different values

Only value I know is germ count, and given the half life cycle in chorine they start to die quickly, as a result high value germ count tend to get sterilized at the same time as low value germs.  At best there's only a second or two difference.

I have used creative to make one value 50 billion and the germs all died within 200 seconds 

46 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Only value I know is germ count, and given the half life cycle in chorine they start to die quickly, as a result high value germ count tend to get sterilized at the same time as low value germs.  At best there's only a second or two difference.

I have used creative to make one value 50 billion and the germs all died within 200 seconds 

200 seconds, which is 1/3 of a cycle, so yeah that sounds right to me.

10 minutes ago, ExEvolution said:

200 seconds, which is 1/3 of a cycle, so yeah that sounds right to me.

Also keep in mind you'll never run into a 50 billion germ population in survival

I don't know what the limit is but I know when germs multiply beyond a certain limit they get an "overpopulated" debuf that kills them off to maintain numbers

I was able to time average germs from lavatories will die in 135s.  I wanted to archive the lowest time so I could fit as many schedules as possible that all shared my bathroom loop

144s is the actual time it will take to kill the maximum amount of germs you could actually have in polluted water in a survival game.

However, automation is notoriously unstable at keeping correct time and can be off by quite a large margin depending on game speed, especially with the speed mod activated, and how many cycles old the base is etc etc.

I've made a simple and compact set up that is guaranteed to always kill any amount of germs you could have in an actual game no matter how messed up the automation timing gets.

It has around 3kg/s average throughput and uses a buffer reservoir combined with a time delayed reservoir. 3kg/s is more throughput than the vast majority of players will ever need in any game even if they have 20 dupes that showers every cycle and at the same time have an average output polluted water vent that needs cleaning.

The set up doesn't require plastic but does consume 10W. The door can be left unpowered. If powered the filter gate can be set to 2s instead of 5s.

The settings for the time delayed reservoir (on the left) is 1 / 99
1 because you don't want it to run completely empty
99 because you want the polluted water in the pipe from the shut off to actually reach the tank when the disinfection cycle starts

The buffer gate (to the mechanised airlock) is set to 200s, way overkill but then you're 100% sure all germs is killed.
This activates to delay the closing of the door when the reservoir output reaches it's 99 and turns off the input water.
After the 200s has passed the door closes and the reservoir starts to drain into the buffer tank.

The filter gate (to the liquid shutoff valve) is set to 5s
This is to make completely sure that the mechanised airlock is completely open thereby shutting off the reservoir output before the shut off valve allows the reservoir to be filled again. 

Note: this particular set up has the buffer tank on the output side but depending on your needs you could switch it to have the buffer on the input side instead. You could probably in that case get away with 150s buffer gate setting as worst case and have an increased average through output to about 3.3kg/s instead.

image.png.20d8f6e52ae71e0143d0473cae647756.png

image.png.5e71af4363d73db61810d925d7c25026.png

image.png.a30682596e2007cdc4dcdd0e32381ac5.png

5 hours ago, penguin0616 said:

@Neotuck I think I got it.

There's also the fact that only 10kg of liquid is entering 4990kg of liquid, so the germ count is effectively divided by 500 with each reservoir.

8 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Here's the simplest way to kill germs by setting up a daisy chain of four or more reservoirs in chlorine.  It's overkill if the only foodpoisioning germs comes from your bathrooms but if you find a PW geyser on your map (I found 3) then this works great

IIRC, you only need three from my testing, as the ability to purify scales exponentially with each tank.

4 minutes ago, Yunru said:

IIRC, you only need three from my testing, as the ability to purify scales exponentially with each tank.

Depends on the source, I get mine from three PW geysers and I've seen germs survive up to the 4th tank

Germ count from bathrooms are much less than geysers so it's possible to only need 3, but I use a different system for bathroom loops so I've never tried

I've had a system that used 3 reservoirs that alternated between filling, waiting, and emptying, every 400 seconds. automation was a pain to set up though, but automation update might've made it easier to make something simple.

The alternating system allows a stable flow even with the long duration, though max time is limited by the capacity of the reservioirs.

Archived