The Underappreciated Value of Bernie

So, something I see overlooked a lot is Bernie. Bernie is a very powerful item not only for willow, but for anyone! Here is why:

Since Bernie distracts shadow creatures, this makes him excellent for Wicker when she is using books to farm things. He is also great for fights that drain your sanity like Deerclops, the shadow chess pieces, and especially the Ancient Fuelweaver.

He is also great during Spring, saving you from needing an eyebrella during battle while it is raining, since he distracts any shadow creature that spawns from you being insane from you being wet.

He is also good for ruins raiding. During the nightmare phase, if you ever need to stop to do something, whether that be using the Ancient Pseudoscience Station, collecting things, or whatever else, you can plop Bernie down to keep the shadow creatures busy while you work.

Lastly, Bernie is great to have for players who like to use Dark Swords and Night armor, making the items have essentially no downside since he distracts the shadow creatures who spawn due to your insanity.

31 minutes ago, Bluepufferfish said:

I love Bernie in pubs since everyone loves running around insane 

I was in a pub game where we had a Sisturn, Glommer and we were right beside the desert biome which had lots of unpicked Cactus. The Wilson that joined just kept going insane for no reason and he wasn't even fighting the shadow creatures. I chased him and force-fed him some cooked cactus then he slept in a bedroll. It was a 16 player game and most participants were just a drain on resources even if we had a Wicker + Wormwood + some Chad who brought back stonefruit from the Lunar Island.

DST public servers are always proof that communism won't ever work. 

Willow isn't a very common character in pubs and I haven't seen a competent one that was able to actually craft a lot of Bernies on their own. I imagine you'd have to rush 20 bunnymen houses and at least shave the beefalo twice or thrice to get things going.

A cool Willow tip I always like to share is getting 4 Bernies inside a bundle. Whenever you get into any of the situations described by OP (unprepared deerclops fight, nightmare phase at ruins, too long Klaus Fight, etc) just open your bundle and let the Bernies distract the shadows for you. 4 Bernies give you plenty of time to finish doing whatever you were doing, or help them kill the shadows and repair them, as they go down.

Spoiler

"In case of overwhelmed by shadows, open the package" 

Another interesting thing to do with Bernie is to leave 6+ at fuel weaver arena. Even if no Willow is present during the fight, you will always get nightmare creatures trying to hit you when you try to break the shadow hands. Having enough Bernies around prevents shadows sucker-punching you, and it also makes the fight more forgiving if you didn't handle your sanity 10/10.

Now that shadows can no longer be temporally or permanently unloaded, they are much more annoying than they ever were. Perhaps Bernie will now become a more prominent item.

22 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

So, something I see overlooked a lot is Bernie. Bernie is a very powerful item not only for willow, but for anyone! Here is why:

Since Bernie distracts shadow creatures, this makes him excellent for Wicker when she is using books to farm things. He is also great for fights that drain your sanity like Deerclops, the shadow chess pieces, and especially the Ancient Fuelweaver.

He is also great during Spring, saving you from needing an eyebrella during battle while it is raining, since he distracts any shadow creature that spawns from you being insane from you being wet.

He is also good for ruins raiding. During the nightmare phase, if you ever need to stop to do something, whether that be using the Ancient Pseudoscience Station, collecting things, or whatever else, you can plop Bernie down to keep the shadow creatures busy while you work.

Lastly, Bernie is great to have for players who like to use Dark Swords and Night armor, making the items have essentially no downside since he distracts the shadow creatures who spawn due to your insanity.

As a main Wortox, totally agree. I dont even care about admin sanity [except for boss fights] and i use dark sword/ night armor as main weapon/armor as well. Sanity controll is a lux when u have bernie, u can just be insane and keep farmin ur own fuel to battle against other stuff. I love this Teddy bear! Ever have one in my inventory. 122467210_10216202975300297_1807000212954206879_o.thumb.jpg.b76548126af497a2ac87ac11e7b3ffc2.jpg

[I just came out of moon ruins right now so thats why i have a thulecit suit instead night armor there since shadow gear is dangerous there those ghosts hit hard mate]

Bernie is Willows real power.. people wrongly label her as a grief pick because she spawns with a lighter.. but Bernie

has several uses-

It can be used to “cuddle” which will provide Willow with a little extra warmth in Winter.

It can be placed on the ground to distract shadows for non-Willow characters.

Or.. if a Willow is nearby and insane it will enlarge and fight those shadows.

I tested Bernie out on the newer Return of Them related stuff as well, he will fight away TerrorClaw (the at Sea insanity creature)

Bernie can be repaired to full health with one use of a Sewing Kit which one Sewing kits is good for 5 Uses.. That’s a Whole lot of Bernie!

You can effectively kill both Deerclops and Bearger with 4 Bernie Dolls and 4-5 repair kits.. place them ALL on the ground a decent distance away from one another and when one dies another nearby will enlarge taking its place giving YOU the opportunity to move in and repair the destroyed Bernie’s.

BERNIE! targets shadows first and foremost so he is pretty useless outside of Shadow fights.. However- you can Kite other mobs to BERNIE! such as hound waves or Deerclops to get them to start fighting each other.

Willows Lighter allows her to instantly cook Mushrooms- Mushrooms and their cooked variants are great Sanity manipulating items allowing for easy Growing/Shrinking your Bernie dolls.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Bernie can be repaired to full health with one use of a Sewing Kit which one Sewing kits is good for 5 Uses.. That’s a Whole lot of Bernie

and if there is a winona on the server, you can use the trusty tape which is both cheaper silk wise and stacks to 40. Even MORE Bernie

Archived