Beta Update: Save File Changes

• Developer

The beta branch contains some changes to the internal save format, and with these changes, comes the following improvements:

• Saves can now be copied and pasted to other players.
  • Caves can be enabled on worlds created without caves after the fact.
  • Unlimited save slots.

But, with these changes, comes the possibility of saves being lost, so the more testing being done the better!
Upon launching, the game will convert all the saves that use the old saveformat to the new saveformat, but if you want to test further, you can do some testing of your non-beta saves. here is how you would do so:

• Launch Don't Starve Together on the new beta if you haven't already done so atleast once.
    • This will convert all your existing Return of Them saves.
    • If everything goes right, all your saves will show up.
    • If one or more of your saves is missing, please zip up your entire DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta folder, and send it to me in DMs for me to investigate (you can find out how to get that folder below).
    • if the game crashes, please create a bug report and upload the relevant log files, along with DM-ing me the entire save folder.
  • Make sure Don't Starve Together is closed.
  • Navigate to your klei folder:
    • On Windows: Documents\Klei\
    • On Mac OS: ~/Documents/Klei/
    • On Linux: ~/.klei/
  • Rename the DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta folder to DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBetaBackup.
  • Copy the DoNotStarveTogether folder, and rename the copy to DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta.
  • Launch Don't Starve Together
    • If everything goes right, all your saves will show up.
    • If one or more of your saves is missing, please zip up your entire DoNotStarveTogether folder, and send it to me in DMs for me to investigate.
    • if the game crashes, please create a bug report and upload the relevant log files, along with DM-ing me the entire save folder.
  • If you want to also access your Return of Them saves, you can navigate to DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBackup/ if you see a folder with a bunch of numbers, enter that, if you don't, don't worry, whether or not you have those numbers, you should see a bunch folders that all start with Cluster_, with a number after that, you can copy all of those saves into your DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta/ folder (if you have a bunch of numbers, go in that folder first), just make sure you rename the number after Cluster_ to a number that's unused by the existing Cluster_XX folders.
    • so if you had a Cluster_1 folder in the Backup, and you had a Cluster_1, Cluster_3, and Cluster_4 in the existing saves folder, you would rename the copied save to Cluster_2, the next free number would be Cluster_5, and so on.

As of now, all saves can be uploaded for others to use, in order to do so, zip up the entire Cluster_XX folder, and upload that, then other users can download that zip, and rename the Cluster_XX folder to a free number, every 30 seconds, or upon entering the new Host Game Screen, the game will search for new save slots, and update the list.

14 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:
  • Saves can now be copied and pasted to other players.
  • Caves can be enabled on worlds created without caves after the fact.
  • Unlimited save slots.

Wow, this sounds so great! This has been asked for a while, I'm glad it's making its way into the game. Hopefully it'll work fine.

Btw, congrats on your new profile picture!

• Developer
5 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

In theory, when this update comes to PS4, can I upload a saved world for other people to download to their own console and run it for themselves?

I'm not in charge of console, so I can't say for sure, but probably not.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the game orders the save slots based on the world you last played them.

Is it possible to have a pinning option to keep some worlds at the top of the list, similar to the favorite system that was implemented for subscribed mods? It would be good for favorite or special worlds we may have :)

• Developer
4 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the game orders the save slots based on the world you last played them.

Is it possible to have a pinning option to keep some worlds at the top of the list, similar to the favorite system that was implemented for subscribed mods? It would be good for favorite or special worlds we may have :)

You can sort it either by last played, or most days, and you can search by world name and character, a favorites button isn't a bad idea though.

2 minutes ago, Ahad Ahmet Unal said:

idk how to get beta. i checked steam>properties>betas and there was only returnofthem beta but didnt see forgotten knowledge thing. help pls

Forgotten Knowledge is part of the Return of Them update series, you need to enter the returnofthem beta to get access to the new stuff.

ok, i named it like us said and i changed DoNotStarveTogether to DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThem. but my saves didnt appear and it created another folder named DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta. so what is next

8 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

Ah! my bad, I meant DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta not DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThem.

• Developer
1 minute ago, Ahad Ahmet Unal said:

ok, i named it like us said and i changed DoNotStarveTogether to DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThem. but my saves didnt appear and it created another folder named DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta. so what is next

I updated the full post, I had everywhere missing the word Beta at the end, you can delete the newly created DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta, and rename the DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThem folder to DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta

20 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

I updated the full post, I had everywhere missing the word Beta at the end, you can delete the newly created DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta, and rename the DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThem folder to DoNotStarveTogetherReturnOfThemBeta

this was a little bit complicated but finally we did it! thanks a lot for instant help :>

Just wondering, when this is finally in the released branch, will modded worlds retain their settings when shared with other people?

I'm thinking of releasing my clue/cluedo map to the public after this save change is released but it has a few mods on it to help make it more playable(namely just stuff to manage hunger/sanity/hounds)

• Developer
3 minutes ago, Terra B Welch said:

Just wondering, when this is finally in the released branch, will modded worlds retain their settings when shared with other people?

I'm thinking of releasing my clue/cluedo map to the public after this save change is released but it has a few mods on it to help make it more playable(namely just stuff to manage hunger/sanity/hounds)

They should, players just need to ensure they have the mods you used subbed. (though maybe I could add a prompt when loading a world with missing workshop mods, hmmmm)

1 minute ago, zarklord_klei said:

They should, players just need to ensure they have the mods you used subbed. (though maybe I could add a prompt when loading a world with missing workshop mods, hmmmm)

I was thinking when releasing my clue/cluedo map to list the mods required anyway, but I'm fine either way.

Thanks for clarifying though!

Archived