Stuff to make the characters feel alive

Survivors should have features that make the feel alive, such as the favourite foods every character now has. A feature they could add could be like, each survivors has a couple of "Best Friends", like one of Wurts best friends could be Wickerbottom, and some characters, like WX-78 could have no friends, and others, like Wormwood, would consider everyone best friends. This would not only just be something in the compendium, but each survivor could lose extra sanity from seeing their best friends dead, or some other effect

1 minute ago, Wardin25 said:

snip

please, no. there are already issues with several characters not being used because they do not play well into the meta, it would be rather awful if you could get autobanned because you tended to play a char who would negatively impact one of the main five just by existing

21 minutes ago, gaymime said:

please, no. there are already issues with several characters not being used because they do not play well into the meta, it would be rather awful if you could get autobanned because you tended to play a char who would negatively impact one of the main five just by existing

It wouldnt be such a great deal, just a tiny penalty, like the tiny 15 hunger from favourite foods

The fav food bonus is too good, and it incentivizes going after ONLY a characters favorite food, like Wicker for surf n turf, I dont bother with any other dish, and bacon and eggs are already a top tier food, and for Wilson they are all you need.

I dont want more stats like this that kinda pigeon hole people into specific strategies or character combos.

15 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

The fav food bonus is too good, and it incentivizes going after ONLY a characters favorite food, like Wicker for surf n turf, I dont bother with any other dish, and bacon and eggs are already a top tier food, and for Wilson they are all you need.

I dont want more stats like this that kinda pigeon hole people into specific strategies or character combos.

I do agree that the favourite foods are meant for going after those foods, but many characters favourite food are hard to get or depend on RNGesus, like Wolfgangs love for potatoes or Wormwoods interest in roasted bananas

4 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

but many characters favourite food are hard to get [like] Wormwoods interest in roasted bananas

Settling near monkeys will provide you with enough bananas for ages!

grafik.thumb.png.7cb9dc802d5e631d6a976addf671a2be.png

Wormwood's Bramble Traps should help you killing them during Nightmare Phase.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

Wormwood's Bramble Traps should help you killing them during Nightmare Phase.

I have yet to try making a main base in the caves, but still, even as a wormwood main, I dont feel like the bananas are worth the trouble, as you can easily get much better foods with the planting without farms ability

5 hours ago, Wardin25 said:

It wouldnt be such a great deal, just a tiny penalty, like the tiny 15 hunger from favourite foods

even if it is tiny some people will get aggressive about it. right now when choosing a character is a neutral-to-positive action(that is the 'worst' chars are only unhelpful not detrimental) there are places where certain chars will get you kicked from a room before being allowed to play because it 'hurts' everyone else to not receive something from them. having characters who would legitimately harm other players regardless of the skill-level and consideration of the person playing said character would be heavily discouraged to the point of making those unfortunate characters unplayable except in solo worlds and worlds dedicated to them specifically which, if you didn't know, discourages group play in general

also i mostly don't care about the food bonus and even i find myself roasting more bananas than necessary because of their bonus on wormwood despite not lacking for food _ever_ when playing him so i can understand how some people would be willing to go for it especially with characters that aren't their own food-making machines(like seriously klei, once i find any beefalo or open sinkholes i literally can feed a whole extra person every day just keeping his sanity topped off!)

All I’m going to say is that I play Smite and Apex Legends, two games that you don’t HAVE to rely on Teamwork to play.. but teamwork Heavily increases your odds of survival.

I do not like Wes in DST because he is a character who brings no skill of any sort to a team.. (the same could be said for Wilson who equally sucks in a TEAM Based game..) But Wes in particular is actually worse, because his negative effects directly impact those who  did not pick to play as Wes & may not want to deal with his negative effects.

To explain this in the best way possible I will  be using Smite as my example now you may not know who these characters I’ll be naming off Are, but who they are isn’t important, it’s the abilities they have that stack with someone else’s abilities that makes them the defining factor.

There is a character in Smite who is weak and squishy Aphrodite- who dies laughably fast when separated from her team, but she and her team gain star increase buffs when fighting together making her a real threat, 

In addition to the Buff Aurora.. Aphrodite can also directly link to another player to provide them passive healing.

In addition to Aphrodite, there is Kuzenbo, a Hardened tank character who moves slowly, deals very weak damage, but has the health points of probably 5 Aphrodites combined.. A Kuzenbo paired with Aphrodite is a dangerous combo.. BUT..

Kuzenbo has an ability that throws his enemies up into the air as he spins around inside his turtle shell.. not that impressive on its Own... but when paired with another character Awilix.. 

Awilix can use her abilities to grab any enemy who is Already thrown into the air, out of the air and drag them directly to her location by using the Star Wars force.. 

Its sort of a game where they’re decent enough on their own.. but with their powers combined their a force to be reckoned with.

I understand that DST is NOT and Never will be SMITE, but I also understand that Klei is doing what they can to provide some Team Synergies to their multiplayer game- Wormwoods inability to heal from food items is directly avoided altogether when he has a Wortox to heal him for example, Wes’s weaker damage and faster sanity drain is reduced significantly just by having Wendy exist..

Wurt never needs to worry about her Vegetable only diet if Wormwood is supplying her with infinite free veggies.

There ARE Smite like elements to DST.... but only Klei knows how far into depth they want to take that.

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

snip

wes is only a detriment if you try and play him like he is a wolfgang. he really isn't and is better suited to support roles

i've kept a looot of people from starving in pubs because i don't beat on anything and instead i scavenge for food and man the crockpots. i am a wes mainer and because i actually understand my limits and work within those limits i do fine and do not do anything that hurts other people(well, except hoard tomatoes though to be fair i am the one who grew them, so nyah!)

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

All I’m going to say is that I play Smite and Apex Legends, two games that you don’t HAVE to rely on Teamwork to play.. but teamwork Heavily increases your odds of survival.

Yeah, I  do understand the concept of synergies :p, but I dont really understand what you tried to explain though

2 hours ago, gaymime said:

wes is only a detriment if you try and play him like he is a wolfgang. he really isn't and is better suited to support roles

Well, first, isn't wes supposed to just be a harder way to play the game and not a character meant to fill a role? And also, what if character regained more sanity from reviving best friends? That could make it so characters like Woodie or Wickerbottom had an easier time recovering after using their abilities if there was a specific character around

26 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

Well, first, isn't wes supposed to just be a harder way to play the game and not a character meant to fill a role? And also, what if character regained more sanity from reviving best friends? That could make it so characters like Woodie or Wickerbottom had an easier time recovering after using their abilities if there was a specific character around

harder, wes but ONLY harder for the player. this being said it is commonly believed that he is a bad character because for some reason people like to pretend that a bad player who plays wes is the same thing as wes being bad. at this moment wes is a neutral character to pick(he benefits no other players with his move-set and stats) but because he can be played by people who cannot handle playing him it is put on his character. if you had it so that certain chars would lose something should he die or should he be played instead of a character that gives a positive benefit then it will make him even more discouraged by the community

since wes will not get any sort of buff(it goes against the purpose of the character to the point where he is the only one to not even get so much as the +15 fav food bonus) then any debuff or lateral-move modifier will only be seen as a bad thing. it is already hard playing under-use characters like wes, webber, wurt, wormwood and winona in public places. making it so that there is even less reason to use them only fractures the game further and i really don't think you are incapable of understanding why it would be bade to discourage people to play these characters entirely

oh, also this is only my opinion but i feel support is a lovely non-category. it may have certain chars designated like healers and cooks but most any medium-skill player can be a support if they have the attitude for it

I was under the simple impression that the moment a game is made multiplayer that “Hard Characters” simply just can no longer exists, even WES is no longer considered a Challenge character when he’s Standing Under Wendy’s Sisturn for Free Sanity, Being Supplied With food from out of Nowhere by Wickerbottom and Wormwood, Being given Armor and Weapons by Wigfrid, and being Healed by Wortox, and Wolfgang Superman punching everything to death for them with his Mighty Strength.

Maybe this is the wrong mindset for me to have.. but I don’t feel like we NEED Challenge characters in a Multiplayer game, because of the above they can only ever “Truly” be challenging when their off by themselves.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I was under the simple impression that the moment a game is made multiplayer that “Hard Characters” simply just can no longer exists, even WES is no longer considered a Challenge character when he’s Standing Under Wendy’s Sisturn for Free Sanity, Being Supplied With food from out of Nowhere by Wickerbottom and Wormwood, Being given Armor and Weapons by Wigfrid, and being Healed by Wortox, and Wolfgang Superman punching everything to death for them with his Mighty Strength.

Maybe this is the wrong mindset for me to have.. but I don’t feel like we NEED Challenge characters in a Multiplayer game, because of the above they can only ever “Truly” be challenging when their off by themselves.

other than a couple wig helms(Thanks to you three by the way) i haven't taken part in any of those things x'''D

1 hour ago, gaymime said:

oh, also this is only my opinion but i feel support is a lovely non-category. it may have certain chars designated like healers and cooks but most any medium-skill player can be a support if they have the attitude for it

Well, I dont recall why we drifted towards wes, but there are plenty of players that consider being insane great for the loot you can obtain from it, so plenty players would like having a "best friend" around to help lower sanity and farming nightmare fuel. (I do contemplate the possibilities of the people playing these characters having to wait longer to be revivied but you cant win em all)

2 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

Well, I dont recall why we drifted towards wes, but there are plenty of players that consider being insane great for the loot you can obtain from it, so plenty players would like having a "best friend" around to help lower sanity and farming nightmare fuel. (I do contemplate the possibilities of the people playing these characters having to wait longer to be revivied but you cant win em all)

because wes is the ds/t official punching bag. both canonically and in forum, it makes sense he is used for examples

as it stands though i've started playing as a second-inventory and providing food and health items to partnered players which is way more useful than being terrorbeak aggro

3 minutes ago, zee_dragon said:

Costume Quest, it's on Amazon Prime. 

But I don't recall seeing any memes though.

also they probably mean YOU x''D i've seen the cute lil' meme art haha

Archived