On Kra'deshi

They are frequently classified as "amphibious". Does this mean that they have exclusive underwater societies? Kra'deshi children are named broodlings and Smith recalls the time when he "was a tadpole"- do kra'deshi start their lifecycle as eggs in water and turn amphibious in their adolescence, like frogs? Are they cold blooded? Sorry for all the questions, just fought that it was really interesting. They being able to live on both water and land would explain why they are the dominant species in whatever planet the game takes place on.

(Also; what does "oozer" mean? Oolo describes her parents as such. Is it a way to describe rich, influential Kra'deshi? A way to describe water faring Kra'deshi?)

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

I'm confused too. They share a similar look to the Oshnu.

They do! Weird to think about that maybe they're both in the same family. I can't wait until the"lore" tabs get filled out… the setting is one of the most interesting things about Griftlands for me. 

I'd def like to hear more about the Vagrant Age for sure. I get the sneaking suspicion that at least a couple of these races aren't native to Havaria, or at least humans being the descendants of off-worlders would make sense. Cheers to some hopeful future DLC down the line that'll give us more characters to play and more of this world to explore :encouragement:

6 minutes ago, WildmanOfBorneo said:

I get the sneaking suspicion that at least a couple of these races aren't native to Havaria

Kra'deshi might be children of Hesh. Since Hesh is a jellyfish eldergod, the "moxie" elements of Smith might be a religious element from Hesh.

God yeah the lore in this game is so fascinating. It's what caught my attention in the first place, there's so much of it to unpack. But hey the game isn't finished yet; we'll probably see a lot more get added down the line in addition to Smith's story. The devs have been adding new opportunities and such to Sal's and Rook's runs so it's possible that we could get more sidejobs that reveal some lore™

Since Smith's a kra'deshi himself I have a feeling we're gonna learn a lot about how they work in his campaign. We already got a lot of insight into some of their family dynamics with Oolo; Smith's story's probably gonna take it a step further. As for their biology... who knows. They only seem to talk about it in passing from what I've seen lol

12 hours ago, minespatch said:

Kra'deshi might be children of Hesh. Since Hesh is a jellyfish eldergod, the "moxie" elements of Smith might be a religious element from Hesh.

Yeah I was talking to a friend of mine about my thought that the kra'deshi may possibly be the only native race to this world. Between talk of kra'deshi empires of old, a probable evolutionary ancestor with the oshnu, and the overall theme of snails & slugs that is present everywhere in this game. They're def the fat cats in spats and I have zero doubt there's an absolutely fascinating reason why!

13 hours ago, WildmanOfBorneo said:

I get the sneaking suspicion that at least a couple of these races aren't native to Havaria

At least one character in Sal's campaign is willing to give some information about how the planet was settled. I can't remember the exact details, but I'm fairly certain most (if not all) of the intelligent races are not native.

[inhales deeply] Ah, theories.

I like to think that kra'deshi and oshnu do come from the same planet, both being invasive species as it were. Out there is their home planet, where every animal has eye stalks of some description. Eye stalk planet. This theory is silly and based on nothing.

The main aspect of the lore that really interests me is the plague. Either it was a disease so bad it wiped out an intergalactic empire, leaving societies to be reborn on colonised planets completely separate from one another... or it originated on this planet and the rest of the empire had to abandon it in order to stop the spread. That second thought is pretty far-fetched, but it's fun to think of this little planet rebuilding after countless generations as the rest of the spacefaring empire has forgotten about them as they continue to do their star wars and whatnot.
Regardless of how the Vagrant Age ended, I do wonder if the plague originated on this planet and if it is in any way related to the rest of The Weirdness (Hesh, Grout Bog, other stuff we don't know about yet).

2 hours ago, WildmanOfBorneo said:

kra'deshi may possibly be the only native race to this world

This is a good point. I've noticed a bit of a worldbuilding bias towards kra'deshi and this could be why. Humans don't really need worldbuilding, but jarackles and shrokes are also kinda just there. They're there. That's all.

I love speculating on this stuff lmao - even though I'm sure it's Not That Deep™ in-game this was how I looked at it:

• Maybe back when the equivalent of slugs & snails began evolving, the "slugs" advanced into sentient beings as kra'deshi, while the "snails" grew into oshno as large grazing creatures which were later domesticated.
  • I'd bet it's a similar connection between kra'deshi and oshnu as the one between like humans and gorillas. Obviously we can see the clear difference there - but to an outside, alien observer, we'd probably be REAL similar lmao
    "wtf is the difference, this one's just bigger while that one talks and wears clothes"

19 hours ago, minespatch said:

So replaying the "not to be player right now" smith mode, it looks like

Spoiler

Smith's brother was inducted into the cult of hesh. He might be the younger brother that trolled him.

The start of smith's run is at the funeral of his parents, but his sibling seems to be alive.

3 hours ago, TaschDraws said:

I love speculating on this stuff lmao - even though I'm sure it's Not That Deep™ in-game this was how I looked at it:

• Maybe back when the equivalent of slugs & snails began evolving, the "slugs" advanced into sentient beings as kra'deshi, while the "snails" grew into oshno as large grazing creatures which were later domesticated.
  • I'd bet it's a similar connection between kra'deshi and oshnu as the one between like humans and gorillas. Obviously we can see the clear difference there - but to an outside, alien observer, we'd probably be REAL similar lmao
    "wtf is the difference, this one's just bigger while that one talks and wears clothes"

Yeah the kra'deshi/oshnu to humans/great apes connection was exactly what I was thinking too

Archived