silly question about bees in caves

do they function like they do above ground and if they do not then how are they different? i have gotten conflicting answers from the wiki and all the non-wiki answers are super old and might not be correct anymore but i do still want to make a (small) bee garden at my main base

They need natural shaft light or (a quite costly alternative) Star Light.

Thus Sunken Forest patches, areas like an ex-Bunnyman Village, Grassland patches in caves are a go-to.

Fireflies in complete darkness don't work. (see following addition)

Also Flowers function only in above-mentioned valid-Bees-activity cases. Else they wither.

10 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

snip

beauty! there is a grassy patch near one of my cave entrances, it isn't my main base but it will still do

please remind me, if earthquakes are turned off then no new light patches will occur, correct?

5 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

They need natural shaft light or (a quite costly alternative) Star Light.

Thus Sunken Forest patches, areas like an ex-Bunnyman Village, Grassland patches in caves are a go-to.

Fireflies in complete darkness don't work.

Also Flowers function only in above-mentioned valid-Bees-activity cases. Else they wither.

But what about light from mushlights or glowcaps? Do they count?

Yes, as stated above they need natural light, same as crops and flowers, but unlike mushrooms or twigs and grass who can grow in pitch darkness. You can check the margins of said "light" by looking at your day timer on the upper right(has to be during day time). As soon as you step out of the lit up area, it will turn black.

Just a side note if you're basing in caves, cave swamps usually have a lot of natural light, and natural reeds ofc, tho usually further from cave-in it's a nice alternative if you like cave basing.

edit: and no, mushlights don't count

You can have fully functional Bee Boxes anywhere in caves without the need of a Star Caller's Staff:

All you need are either Evil Flowers (because unlike regular flowers, Evil Flowers don't wither without a natural light source) or a light patch to keep the flowers alive, and any kind of light source (light patch, Mushlights or Glowcaps recommended since they can last pretty long) for the Bee Boxes, otherwise they won't release their bees at daytime.

So, thanks to Viktor's suggestion with Evil Flowers, I've done a bit of testing and came up with following results:

A617B6E1380FF5AC8A300ADDFEA2C4175748B71A

In a Cave Rocky Plain (thus a complete darkness environment) I've made 2 distinct areas, one lit by a Glowcap and the other with about 20 Fireflies spread on and around the Bee Box spot. Then one can place Flowers around both boxes and haunt them in Ghost form (for this test I've just spawned Evil Flowers); as a measure of precaution to prevent withering, one can place a Dwarf Star close as to give you enough time to suicide and haunt planted Flowers into their evil counterparts at a leisure pace. When all's done, bees will go out normally during daytime and pollinate as per their usual outside-cave mechanic. The Fireflies method is obviously cheaper and doesn't involve any maintenance, yet requires quite a number of them lil light-bugs to have efficiency (seems Glowcap Bee Box works a bit faster) - what is the most efficient Fireflies number and spread, that I don't know; a "code-digger" could tell this better. Of mention is I only lit Fire Pits at end for purpose of print-screen. Last global view of my setup:

FAD76B913A01B91741D875A433A52991759DA0B7

11 hours ago, BeeClops said:

snip

oh!! that hasn't been the case for me. i can(outside of winter) grow crops just fine as long as i have a strong light source(granted i use the lamp mod for that so it is a bit of a cheat but still). i didn't even know people thought crops needed natural light to grow, they don't they just need a LOT of light all of the time or they wither. i am only on year three and i've lost about 5 plots in total with three of them being because i didn't have enough light in the first season i was growing them(in all cases i was away from base for a long time), of course that being said i have had no troubles with garden plots in areas that have natural light

4 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

snip

oh thankyou for that<3 i was building a small bee garden(mostly done just need a few more turfs and another wall built) in a natural light area but knowing that i can just flood my main base with light and still have them do their thing is just peachy by me<3

10 minutes ago, Nino123 said:

But how do you plant evil flowers in caves ?

1-Plant normal flowers.

2- Die.

3- Haunt flowers until they all transform into evil flowers

4- Revive before the World resets.(No need to worry about this step if you are playing with someone however.)

If someone really needs some natural light, that is somewhere near the ruins, you could look for this setpiece with a bunnymen.

Since its always in the orange(mud?) biome, you shoudn't have any problem finding it, though it might not be guaranteed.

20200728200832_1.thumb.jpg.2743ebc93e52baceb80c9f951a412f39.jpg20200728200836_1.thumb.jpg.ff5cd01683e844dbbf0c63fc6c513674.jpg

Archived