Suggestions on How to transfer DS Solo Progression Blockers into DST.

I know that my posts here on these forums are going to always be meet with the Confused react emote from loyal followers who love to confused react my posts But HOPEFULLY with some (very poorly put together) Images showcasing the HOWs & WHY it should Work that maybe even they will actually like this post.

If this type of content is NOT for you please do explain why.. don’t just confused react everything, Your confused reacts could potentially be what makes Klei think that the Idea is Bad and they should never consider it, which would be overall BAD for the people who actually DO Like the ideas..

With That said- I have been playing a heck of a lot of Don’t Starve Single Player.. and there are challenges IN Dont Starve Single Player that Simply Are not in the SURFACE World of DST (not counting Cave Content because many people can’t play Cave Content..) All of these things server as a “Progression Blockade” a specific Area within the game that you can not by pass without first meeting specific requirements in doing such.

DST... has very few of these preventing players from simply running from Biome to Biome in a straight line without a care in the world.

These Things are Warrior Pig Chokepoints as seen in Image 1..

Limited Movement Mazes full of Hazards, as seen in Image 2..

Insanity Obelisks that could only be raised or lowered by being Sane/Insane as seen in Image 3..

And last but probably my favorite Entire Biomes that are extremely Deadly Without wearing protective Head Gear as seen in Images 4 & 5..

I have listed in the images ways that I feel these things COULD exist in DST.. but these are only Images, Only KLEI Developers know if any of this is actually possible.

371188D4-639E-416E-9066-ADD3918A7124.jpeg

F16A3B90-3FBE-4189-9967-8144ED3FB6C8.jpeg

3782A00E-99B2-4743-8A67-FCE12CEF8548.jpeg

25965330-B2ED-4402-A579-CAB01F89917E.jpeg

5D6A8F4E-C9EF-4D0C-B9F1-EF2C62130020.jpeg

Now that the Ocean itself is fully sailable Klei is probably thinking that there’s no way to incorporate things like the Trapped Maze but.. here is an Example of how it COULD work in my head (I give credit to this idea to @Hornete for suggesting Whirlpools in their thread) 

0FE6C330-7C9C-473F-92FC-DD0560C057B9.jpeg

744DEAD4-9793-4AB9-BF6D-35832450BCAE.jpeg

EDFB1BD7-DDDF-4E12-A83A-4A5C08559BEA.jpeg

4A0A25DC-8E41-4A11-9037-B7C3168C1B1B.jpeg

Pig gaurd setpieces are in dst, just rare. spiral idea seems cool. insanity obelisks possibly but 1. boats and 2, to make it not do-able with boats would be to cover ALL edges which would cause lag i would think. there are crazy killer bee biomes in dst. poison gas looks like something interesting too, maybe on its own swamp island/ in all swamps though tentacles are already pretty bad. 

I wouldn't mind seeing some of these implimented eventually.

Spoiler

I dont think there are people that confused react for the fun of it, its because they are genuinely confused or they use confused since there is not a more specific "downvote" of sorts.

2 hours ago, TheHollowKnight said:

Pig gaurd setpieces are in dst, just rare. spiral idea seems cool. insanity obelisks possibly but 1. boats and 2, to make it not do-able with boats would be to cover ALL edges which would cause lag i would think. there are crazy killer bee biomes in dst. poison gas looks like something interesting too, maybe on its own swamp island/ in all swamps though tentacles are already pretty bad. 

I wouldn't mind seeing some of these implimented eventually.

Reveal hidden contents

I dont think there are people that confused react for the fun of it, its because they are genuinely confused or they use confused since there is not a more specific "downvote" of sorts.

The console version of the game had to have significantly less stuff in it in becoming a multiplayer game, like the

TL:DR we only have Default options for the stuff that generates in our worlds or less.

Our “Big” Worlds would probably be “Default” for PC.. And we took a hard hit when it came to things like the Hostile Bee Hive Biomes due to the extreme amounts of lag it would cause on our lesser Platforms.

Now is it possible that PS5 or Xbox Series X could perform at PC standards? THAT I don’t know.. I just know that a lot of the content found in single player had to either be stripped completely out or drastically cut down to support consoles.

Obelisks don’t Actually have to cover an entire island if as you said it’ll cause too much lag, they could instead make a permanent indestructible wall around the outer border, but have the Entry point have the Obelisks to get in or out. 

Boats Exist, but there are ways of limiting where people can go with them.

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I have been playing a heck of a lot of Don’t Starve Single Player.. and there are challenges IN Dont Starve Single Player that Simply Are not in the SURFACE World of DST (not counting Cave Content because many people can’t play Cave Content..) All of these things server as a “Progression Blockade” a specific Area within the game that you can not by pass without first meeting specific requirements in doing such.

You mean you've been playing Don't Starve single player adventure mode, right? That's a important distinction because the Don't Starve world outside of the adventure mode is very similar to the Don't Starve Together world, excluding the new content. 

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

DST... has very few of these preventing players from simply running from Biome to Biome in a straight line without a care in the world.
These Things are Warrior Pig Chokepoints as seen in Image 1..

You mean these?
image.png.45bb25b29e73bbfd035d8d4a82157e7e.png
We have guardian pigs in DST, just not in choke points.

Overall, I don't like the Idea of having annoyances just to walk from one biome to another. I think those choke points they added to the adventure mode should not come to the "normal" world, it might be fun the first or second time you have to go through, but I can see it quickly becoming boring. 

In long term worlds, people would still go "from one biome to another without a care in the world" after they took care of the hazards in the way, the difference would be that before the update they didn't had to zig zag through an empty maze every time they want to get some reeds from the swamp in the other side.

After the addition of the ocean, all of your suggestions now need a bunch of workarounds to work, which is less than ideal. Sure, you can close off an entire part of the map with walls to prevent access through boats, but, suprise! A wormhole spawned right in the middle of the place with its other side in the start of the hazard-riddled bridge! Then you tell me "make so wormholes can't spawn there", sure, that would work, but you just removed another option people would have to get access to there, and that was just one example. After removing all the options a player had to get to the place, just to make it go there the way you want it to, said player now thinks that going to the place is boring because there's only one way to get there and it's through an annoying bridge.

I think those adventure mode specific set pieces should stay there, because they are much more suited as a once in a while," when I want to have the challenges of the adventure mode laid upon me" thing, than an "every new world I create" occasion.

Spoiler
14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I know that my posts here on these forums are going to always be meet with the Confused react emote from loyal followers who love to confused react my posts But HOPEFULLY with some (very poorly put together) Images showcasing the HOWs & WHY it should Work that maybe even they will actually like this post.

If this type of content is NOT for you please do explain why.. don’t just confused react everything, Your confused reacts could potentially be what makes Klei think that the Idea is Bad and they should never consider it, which would be overall BAD for the people who actually DO Like the ideas..

I think people confused react your posts because you quote people and don't even address what they said most of the time, or say something quite unrelated to the topic at hands (derailing the topic at times). Using your reply to TheHollowKnight above as an example, they just addressed the examples you gave in the first post and then you replied talking about why the console version has less stuff. Although it wasn't far from unrelated, it may come as confusing since you started right off the bat talking about something else instead of just addressing what THK said.
If you wanted to talk about the console lag you could edit your first post or just create an entire new thread altogether.

12 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

4A0A25DC-8E41-4A11-9037-B7C3168C1B1B.jpeg

go to the laberynth in the ruins and you will find already something like it

I know, please fully read original post- Some people can not play Cave Content therefore they can not also play Ruins Content.. These sort of things need a way of existing outside of Caves Content, that’s why I made this post about coming up with ways to bring those challenges to the surface, Progression Blockades that prevent people from just going from Biome to Biome with no care in the world.. You need to come prepared to get past-

Guard Pig Chokepoints, Enemy Infested Maze, Insanity Obelisk, Bee Biome Hazard, Gas Biome Hazard.

Areas you cant go into without meeting the requirements to go there.

These Chokepoints are what makes DS Single Player (Adventure Mode) significantly Harder than DST.. And I would love to see them added to DST at least in some capacity, And As Always.... if this type of content isn’t for you, You can always toggle it off or something..

Just like if people don’t like Winter and Summer, or Hound Wave Attacks they can always turn those things OFF Prior to hosting their world.

And that’s what everyone needs to realize, Why can’t this game be customizable to fit your personal enjoyment of the game??

I just know that the Progression Blockades would greatly increase my own personal enjoyment of the game.. so I wanted to come up with creative ways that Klei could possibly look into adding them for those of us who would like to see them return.

A Chokepoint- should have an Indestructible structure that spawns enemies back into that area after you’ve cleared the area out after a preset amount of days.

An Area.. that forces you to go through it prepared every time you go through the area.. Or DIE.

Running from Biome to Biome with no obstacles, no hazards, no need to be prepared.. to me it’s boring, and I hope Klei will address that either in the form of a harder game mode, or through giving us more menu options that let us enable them prior to hosting.

HERE is a Proper Pig Warrior Chokepoint-

I needed Helmet and Armor to pass this without dying.

971F61A3-CFA9-4CCF-B7F7-2F390D9181B8.gif

8 hours ago, Well-met said:

good thing we can make boats to bypass anything of the sort now.

That’s not exactly true... there are WAYS that it CAN be done, forcing players in one through only one or two area’s but they can not “Boat Kit” their way through the Blockades..

The General Concept is to bring Ruins Labyrinth style content to the Surface world so the Surface actually has some interesting challenging content outside of completely optional boss fights.

Here is just ONE Example of how it could be done. This is the Chamber that holds Wes Captive in Adventure Mode.. and there’s only one way through it to get him.

Sure you could boat to the light green outer layer, but you’d still need to go through the Blockade.

4A416FDE-84C5-4F22-9C65-B07CD717A23D.jpeg

Archived