Late-, mid- or early-game?

Early, mid, late-game  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which part of the game do you like the most?

• Early-game (up to 300 cycles)
    • Mid-game (301-1000)
    • Late-game (1001 and counting)

It'd be interesting to see what percentage of players likes which part of the game the most.

My reasoning for late-game:

• tinkering with existing infrastructure
  • all tech unlocked
  • transitioning away from native asteroid resources to resources brought from space

I mostly enjoy the early scrappy game when resources are low and you need to stabilize your colony. I don`t think i ever went past 700 cycles. At that point i just get stuck tinkering with the base with no good idea what the plan is.

I have a love-hate relationship with all parts. The early game is interesting from the exploration point of view but the lack of research and colony stabilization chips away the joy of exploration. Mid game is when you finally stabilized the colony and you do space exploration and new materials. The boring and frustrating part is when you try to optimize whatever you designed in the early stage. Late game you expand af but still fight with optimization and the curve-balls the game is throwing at you: every once in a while (2-300 cycles) I end up with no food from millions of calories, no power from massive power plants etc. On top of it, even though I have a decently powerful machine, the game starts lagging and loading it translates to minutes. After 1500-2000 cycles I realize I should've/could've done differently so frustration kicks in and I end the game.

I have yet to build the "perfect" base.

10 hours ago, Tobruk said:

It'd be interesting to see what percentage of players likes which part of the game the most.

I’d be interested in what percentage of players equate early, mid, late game with those cycle counts. Some players are super fast, while others are slow and “just let the game run overnight”.

9 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

At that point i just get stuck tinkering with the base with no good idea what the plan is.

Haha! I once played an RPG where the main character would randomly say “What am doing out here?” after long periods of silence. I say that to myself every few hundred cycles when I look around trying to figure out what to do next.

Think early game is below first 20-50 cycles, while you sit in starting biom, may be before you get oil (around 100) but not 300.

Late game starts after you get supercoolant, it may happen before 300 cycle.

Good poll! Most often, after the 300th cycle - the colony is stabilized, the map is explored - interest decreases. You will finish all the systems, but the script does not give anything new or unexpected.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:09 PM, Const67 said:

but the script does not give anything new or unexpected.

Having participated in the majority of Minecraft’s development, I actually think this is a good thing. I enjoyed the open ended play style it (and ONI to some extent) had. When there wasn’t goals/achievements of defeat the dragon or fly through the temporal tear, the emphasis was more on making your own ending. With these end game goals/achievements, the games feel restrictive and confining.

That is my personal opinion, but I can also see how people can really enjoy more structure and goal oriented game play. Many, many people on the forums comment “I did this, or I’m at this point in the game, now what do I do? I don’t see the point.”

Ultimately I think both games did well in making multiple goals and leaving the players a great deal of flexibility to play how they like.

Yes the Lag ruins every experience in Lategame in the long term. I have no Idea how people manage complex and big buildings, when everything takes sooo loooong. I have one aluminium asteroid in 130k km and one trip needs 35 cycles to bed done. endgame is a little harsch for people like me. 

i love early game because everything is smooth and fast and you can explore a lot. 

Midgame is ok, you have a ton of work to do. 

Endgame is a long term lagfest. 

for me 

early-game = before space suit system  (0 - 100 days)

mid-game = finish all research (100 - 500 days)

late-game = after finish all research (500+ days)

But the current late-game is somehow boring.

When I unlock everything, I don't need anything.

Dups do jobs well only when well fed, and I built a farm.

Dups do jobs well only when they travels fast enough, and I built tubes.

Dups do jobs well only when they have high morale, and I built all kinds of rooms.

Dups do jobs well only when there's enough energy, and I built power plants.

Fine, I built everything, can you guy do my jobs smoothly now?

Nope, because there's nothing else to do.

Why would I build anything in the first place?

To protect my first 3 dups from starving?

Why did I start play the game?

What's the meaning of life?

What's the meaning of the universe?

I lost deep in thought.

Archived