Steam Turbine Setups - Post Temp-Swap Bug Fix

The update today fixes a temp-swap bug that was the cause of the steam turbine heat deletion bug (a huge thanks to all those who helped track things down). @Tonyroid's solution (put the liquid vent in, or over, a layer of liquid), which can delete steam mass, is no longer needed. The new update should allow you to

• build a steam turbine any way you want to avoid massive heat deletion.*

That's right. Any design should work. You can pick the amount of steam you want (low pressure steam means quick temperature changes, high pressure steam means slow temperature changes). You can put in 2kg/tile, 20kg/tile, 200kg/tile, 2000kg/tile, 20000kg/tile, whatever, and the temp swap bug won't destroy your heat. The key problem in the past was having a tiny bit of incoming cool steam near 100C resetting the temperature of hot 1000kg steam (huge heat loss). 

*There are a few caveats you may want to design around, if you want to fine tune your designs.  

1. Mass deletion can occur if the liquid vent drips the incoming 95C water into liquid. Personally, I have seen this occur only on save/load. i plan to avoid dripping into liquid. Mass deletion also occurs in multi gas environments. So don't drop water into a CO2 environment.
  2. A phase change bug applies the energy lost in changing water to steam to every hot tile that contributes to the phase change. If all 4 sides of the vent are surrounded by hot tiles (such as a metal tile on 2 sides, and steam on the other two), then you will loose the energy from phase changing the water 4 times, (instead of 1 time). Possible fix: Surround the vent on 3 sides by insulated tiles, and use a tempshift plate or bridge to deliver the heat needed to phase change. FYI, this bug appears to affect liquid boilers (so crude to petro, and petro to sour gas are affected as well).
  3. A gas flow bug can amplify changes in temperature. It seems to be directly related to the reason why left-to-right liquid flow heat exchangers are bugged. This bug may get you an extra 2% free heat, with the effect being more pronounced the higher the mass). The extra 2% may be easily magnified to be much more, with an appropriate design. 

Examples.

Here is an example from @Manarz that works (and worked great before the temp-swap bug was fixed) 

grafik.thumb.png.969ab41654e7996552ff1ac

Note that the regular tile to the right of the tuner (along with the conveyor bridge behind the insulated tile) were placed as done to avoid the temp-swap bug.  We can now delete both the regular tile and conveyor bridge, and pop a tempshift plate above the insulated tile, or various other methods, to deliver heat to the vent for phase changes. 

1. (Avoid Mass Deletion) The liquid under the aquatuner still helps rapidly distributed heat away from the tuner, but tiles keep the liquid vent away from the petro. 
  2. (Avoid Phase Change Bug) Note how three tiles surrounding the vent are insulated. Lot of configurations are possible. 
  3. (Avoid Gas Flow Bug) This design does not try to abuse the gas flow bug intentionally. Low volume steam also means you won't have as much issues with it (as the bug applies to a small percentage of moved steam). In most turbine setups, this bug will result in extra heat being added. 

Here is another example, though the turbine on the right suffers from the phase change bug.  Increasing the steam level causes a very minor increase in temp (the gas-flow bug). If you really want petro on your aquatuner, then just pop an airflow tile down, or move the insulated tile from above the vent to the left of the vent. 

image.png.0c406110e77abc1c94c1eed20ffcff

Not sure if I should create a new bug report. I know steam turbine steam deletion exist, but not at this rate. After patch 419840 my steam turbines is deleting more than 1kg/s.
Starting with 2000kg, & inputting ~1kg/s more to my steam room, after 10 cycles it all disappeared.

I've tested this in debug, starting with 100kg after 10 cycles it actually ended up with 101kg. Not sure what's going on, only mod I have running is pliers, and I tested it with mod on & off, seems unaffected/unrelated to pilers.

IMAGES

Desolated 405.sav

1 hour ago, hakkafusion said:

Not sure if I should create a new bug report. I know steam turbine steam deletion exist, but not at this rate.

When you have more than one gas in an environment, all kinds of deletion takes place (not just steam). My suggestion would be to separate the CO2 environment from the steam environment (not ideal, but avoids all kinds of mass deletion issues). 

You can add your issue to this bug report. It's been known for a while (and got worse when the philosopher stone and matter conversion were eliminated). 

It would not surprise me if a change to the gas flow mechanics, while it works wonderfully in a single gas climate, now causes more mass deletion problems in multi-gas environments. @klei.ruby, you might be interested in the issue above. Maybe the fix to temp-swapping has increased the rate at which mass deletion events occur. 

16 hours ago, hakkafusion said:

it all disappeared

How much of your steam ended up in the upper right corner? Also, your air vents (even when not outputing anything) are known to delete gas if the four surrounding tiles are one gas (like CO2) while the gas over the vent is another (like steam). You also happen to be outputing >5kg/s liquid (when fully running) which means that partial evaporation is occurring in your build as well. 

2 hours ago, mathmanican said:

How much of your steam ended up in the upper right corner? Also, your air vents (even when not outputing anything) are known to delete gas if the four surrounding tiles are one gas (like CO2) while the gas over the vent is another (like steam). You also happen to be outputing >5kg/s liquid (when fully running) which means that partial evaporation is occurring in your build as well. 

Both air vents in in screenshot has been long inactive due to overpressure. Tried layering bottom with pwater/crude oil (again), deletion still happening.

There is about 10-20kg of steam in that top corner in each tile. Before patch there was in excess of 30kg in half of the room, I have added photo for comparison (Photos).

I'm going to call it gas deletion, notice I now have 2 petrol generators on the left, PO2 getting deleted in there as well. Ethanol in small amounts also getting deleted randomly. This makes any kind of machinery steam room with more than 1 type of gas unusable.

Desolated 430_gas_deletion.sav

Archived