open-air steam turbine mass loss

DefectiveNu
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Pending

Unsure of the specific circumstances, but after not checking my oil biome for some time I noticed most of the steam I had was lost.  On last check I'd had about 1/2 the left side of the biome full of ~30-40kg steam/tile, and it had been stable for over 100 cycles

The Suave Burrow Cycle 944.sav

The Suave Burrow Cycle 953.sav

Steps to Reproduce
run the attached save (cycle 944), observing the 2 steam turbines on the border of the oil biome
  • Like 1

User Feedback

On 7/27/2019 at 12:19 PM, DefectiveNu said:

I also just noticed my uppermost cool steam vent is deleting the oxygen in its room as well

Multiple gasses in a chamber result in gas deletion when pressures constantly change.  This has been in place since matter conversion was removed from the game (it's removal reintroduced mass loss in multi-gas environments). The game has to deal with how to handle certain situations when gasses collide.  The pre-matter conversion fix was to just keep the mass equal, but convert one gas to another.  Post matter conversion instead just deletes mass in this scenario. It's completely abusable (if you want to have less gas), but not piratically useful.

Gonna open your test save and see if it's the same issue. 

Update: Yep, your open steam turbines in the lower left corner have two gasses, sour gas and steam.  Your sour gas pressure is quite high, so 2000g blobs of steam can easily be deleted in this setup. and your time stamp on the bug matches around launch (which is when I saw this happening much more often as well). So this may not be the matter-converter update, but instead something to do with the launch upgrade. 

Edited by mathmanican

Share this comment

Adding to the previous information I posted, I have also notice that not just steam, but other gases also gets deleted as well (ie. ethanol).

From my observation, what is actually happening is that when the liquid drops/falls and hits a tile then flashes into steam, on that tile which ever element has more mass will remain, while the lesser mass gets deleted. Same as what mathmanican posted above.

Maybe adding a layer of liquid at the bottom would help? I will have to test this and find out.

Share this comment

Hey everyone,

I am having a similar issue with steam getting deleted. I noticed that there was no output animation. I placed a single pipe piece on the turbine and it ran without emitting any water into the pipe nor giving a pipe blocked fault. These things sure can be frustrating.

Share this comment

Hey again,

I realized later that I had mods enabled. I have since turned all mods off and it seems to be working as intended.

Share this comment