Overloaded circuits -- possible bug?

My setup is coal generators > batteries and hydrogen generators > batteries, both setups then connect to one main line which splits off into several smaller ones each with battery > 1K transformer.  For some reason, I sometimes get overloaded lines on either the main line or one of the smaller lines.  There are no "consumers" on this line, just batteries and generators and at the very end, power transformers.  I thought that such a setup was not supposed to overload?

12 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

My setup is coal generators > batteries and hydrogen generators > batteries, both setups then connect to one main line which splits off into several smaller ones each with battery > 1K transformer.  For some reason, I sometimes get overloaded lines on either the main line or one of the smaller lines.  There are no "consumers" on this line, just batteries and generators and at the very end, power transformers.  I thought that such a setup was not supposed to overload?

It's not. Pictures would help in this case. 

If you have small normal wire on your main line then you'll get overloads because that main line is supplying over 1k at some point to the sub lines.  You need heavy watt wire for your main power spine.

You can get away with using small wires if you do some tricks.  For example, I use this method to distribute power long distances in my base.

Near the generators, I have transformers taking power from the high power grid. Note that I am using heavi-watt wire here to prevent a burnout.  The output of the transformers has regular thin wire:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1f6d9c56ea4343fa7bfff1fb2b3f47f3.png

image.thumb.png.8b56db6ef4b5fd195a30d410ed533aae.png

I know, my wiring sucks.. but you get the idea.

Anyway, this is the transmission end, and it is sending 8kw of power to.... a distribution point within my base.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.67c434007c2897316f66eface1d4f612.png

image.thumb.png.f83a7eb2834def77352538a1b27d514a.png

image.png.181f9180b917c0ca43439835a3dfca77.png

At the distribution center, the small wire meets up with heavi-watt wire.  A smart battery triggers two power shutoff switches such that the battery is either connected to the generators, OR it is connected to the distribution grid.  The large transformer isn't really necessary here, but I am using it as a very small battery so that none of my 1kw grids goes offline while the battery is charging off the generators.  It is also acting as a rate limiter, making sure that I can't use more than 4kw of power at once in the rare case _everything_ goes active at once.   Additionally, it becomes necessary to have this transformer if you want a battery on the small transformer side of the grid as backup power.

Here's a short animation of the battery and switches.

Spoiler

2010049561_Peek2020-07-0823-18.gif.b660fc154897738c01cbf5761b59d943.gif

image.png.d68e5167ef00e9386b99d3ff27eaa10d.png

Anyway, it works quite well.

Some other useful information:  My power plant is only capable of producing 4.8kw of power at the moment.  When the distribution center needs to recharge the batteries, I have a burst load of at least 8kw.  Clearly I can not do this from generators alone.  You can use a battery bank to store power between the generators and the transmission transforms, or you can set your smart batteries at the distribution center to a lower capacity.  In my particular case, I only have one smart battery controlling the first generator (the others use watt meters to turn on as power is needed).  I have two distribution points, so I set those smart batteries to about 40 percent.  This way if both locations pop at once, there ought to be enough power to recharge both of them at the full 8kw rate.

Here's a SS of my full power plant:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.081441bf938f7e819372fd849ecfa585.png

The two small transformers near the smart battery are powering doors and pumps in the area.  The large transformers on the right are sending power to my base.  I am aware that there's a lot of wasted space.  

As I understand it, the output of batteries is not regulated, they can easily output more than the wires can handle. Keep them on the heavy watt side, and use transformer to limit power to sub-circuit. do not put battery on sub-circuit.

Ok, not sure how to make a screenshot as the powerline run is quite long but I'm getting the issue again.  The setup this time is just coal generators on a 2KW wire running to several batteries and transformers.  I'm getting overloaded circuit damage on the 2KW wire.

I can take a screenshot if someone shows me how or do you just need a screenshot of the broken wire?

If your transformers are drawing more than 2KW, then it will break the wire.  What you want is called heavy-watt wire and it has a max of 20kW (or 50kW if you use conductive heavy-watt wire). Use this the circuit with your generators, batteries and transformers to avoid overload damage.

On 7/9/2020 at 6:21 PM, AutoMcD said:

As I understand it, the output of batteries is not regulated, they can easily output more than the wires can handle. Keep them on the heavy watt side, and use transformer to limit power to sub-circuit. do not put battery on sub-circuit.

No, you can put batteries on the consumer side no problem, i normally put a smart battery on every single circuit, then connect the battery to the transformer with automation wire.

That way the transformer feeds the battery until at the required level, then the transformer becomes inactive - the battery supplies the consumers.

5 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I can take a screenshot if someone shows me how or do you just need a screenshot of the broken wire?

press F12 for a screenshot. 

Then a picture file should be saved in a folder located in your Program Files(x85) > Steam > Userdata > Screenshots

Archived